Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 05 Apr 2012 07:43 #514149

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
Hei Dd

good stuff

unless you plan to run full clipons, would keep the pegs not so far to the rear.

try indeed to look at pics of other race bikes to get a better idea

almost level and about 3-4" back relative to the swingarm axle would be a good starting point in my experience

if i was you, would turn simple iron 3/4" diameter bobbins with M8 thread, drill holes in the passenger footpeg brackets and weld them in there
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoubleDub

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 05 Apr 2012 10:27 #514172

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
keep in mind that, the bike may turn in better with more wieght on the front end. modern bikes have a fairly even wieght distribusion ,Front to rear,compaired to old bikes, wich r wieghted more towards the rear.
so , that being said, once u find where u like the pegs, error on a more forward location if needed.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 05 Apr 2012 10:28 #514173

• DoubleDub
  • DoubleDub's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!

This was the photo I was looking at:

I'll move them up, though.

Started digging through the TG wonder build threads again...I've looked over so many things I must have forgotten most of what I saw. I love the tabs/ally plate idea, Turbo. I think I might borrow that.

Last edit: by DoubleDub.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 05 Apr 2012 15:15 #514203

• turboguzzi
  • User
my contribuition to your war effort

peg position vs. s'arm axle in the famous momba 2 gpz550

marked them in red for you

BTW, the Gpz's have already modern style threaded mounting points for the pegs, so quite easy to do what i did

not too much rocket science in there, seen plenty fast guys that cut off the complete rear passenger sheet metal ears and welded a piece of 3/4" iron angle to the rear down tubes, two threaded holes, some no name rear sets and that was it.

not neat but didnt slow bike too much ;)

your hong-kong multiple hole plates are already quite high tech comapred to what most guys do :)
Attachments:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 06 Apr 2012 15:14 #514412

• Gar1800
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Shes ruff, but could be really cool.

Gar

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 06 Apr 2012 15:21 #514414

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Thanks, Gar. I figure better to do it with a rough bike than one that's mint. If it were mint I would have kept it for a rider.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 06 Apr 2012 16:27 #514419

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Check out this place for rod ends, fasteners, Ball Joints, etc.

www.midwestcontrol.com/
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 27 Apr 2012 16:37 #518425

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Been on the road for work, just got back in from Salt Lake.

I've been cleaning up the 28mm carbs and I keep getting this silver residue on my hands after dipping them - did they come painted on the Kz1000's? These would be the Mikuni 28's with the accelerator pump.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 10 May 2012 20:15 #521321

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor

DoubleDub wrote: Been on the road for work, just got back in from Salt Lake.

I've been cleaning up the 28mm carbs and I keep getting this silver residue on my hands after dipping them - did they come painted on the Kz1000's? These would be the Mikuni 28's with the accelerator pump.

Bump? This is nasty. If they are painted, that crap is definitely coming off before it goes back together.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 10 May 2012 20:17 #521322

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Ok, so I have done the following this week as I prep for a new gig next week:

I also added a couple of pieces 3/16" bar to the frame to brace/mount electrics to. Not showing pics as my welding was terrible, but it is my first time. The pieces are definitely in there, just not pretty.

I painted motor mount brackets, lower triple, frame. Waiting for the paint to cure and my steering/wheel bearings to arrive tomorrow evening.

Once the frame paint and bearings are done I'll start the engine work in earnest.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 14 May 2012 05:02 #522225

• turboguzzi
  • User
you are a brave guy DD.... i am a reasonable welder but never weld my frame bracing myself, I always go to a TIG guy nearby.

The danger of holing a frame tube with a stick wleder is too high IMHO, even if Kawasaki used water pipe gauge in our frames

We all understand not wanting to show pics of your welding, but eventually you will have to post some pics fo your build.....otherwise nobody will believe you ;)

TG

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 14 May 2012 09:25 #522251

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Naive or stupid are probably better words for it then.

I used a cheap flux core wire feed welder (Harbor Freight). I think with a nicer unit the welds would have turned out a lot nicer - I don't think the wire feed was very consistent, but I was fighting a crappy helmet the whole time too. Another thing to add to the things I've learned, don't cheap out on the equipment... Anyways, I'm not convinced this welder could have burnt through much, fortunately.

I'll post some pics after I break out the camera this evening. The frame is still curing (7 day wait on the paint I used) and I should be able to swap out the bearings early this week if I can find the time.

This whole thing is taking a really long time...wish I had more to post. My fear and naivety have been slowing me down (and supply of cash). But I think I should still be in a position to participate next year still as planned.