Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 Feb 2012 15:36 #504181

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
try to get an accurate thickness of the base gasket. if u can just find a piece that looks flat and compete enough to measure its thickness. then u will know how much the new 1 is going to compress.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoubleDub

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 Feb 2012 17:53 #504222

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
hei DD

completely missed this thread as its in projects, only watch racing...

seeing that you are all over the place ... would simply recommend you keep it simple

there's so much to do when building a racer thats its easy to get lost in little stuff that doesnt count for much.

if its any help, I believe that with good compression AND squish + gpz cams 29Cr youll get a reasonable engine

exhaust breathers, or boring out carbs will really just add work.

keep going! its worth it
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoubleDub

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 Feb 2012 17:58 #504223

• DoubleDub
  • DoubleDub's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Thanks TG. I keep coming to the "simplify" conclusion as well. I know it seems like I'm all over the place sometimes, but I think it's because I have more time to research/think about the project than I do to actually work on it. Hopefully that will change soon.

Any recommendations for the squish part of the formula? I looked over your thread on how you did it, but I'm nervous to make those kinds of changes to the combustion chamber. Outside my abilities/comprehension.

I think Mikuni 28's are what are in my budget this year. I'll grab the 29's after the bike is built and had a few laps in. I agree with the boring, considering buying the carbs and getting them done would probably be as much as getting a set of CR29's when all said and done.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 Feb 2012 18:39 #504228

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82

DoubleDub wrote: I agree with the boring, considering buying the carbs and getting them done would probably be as much as getting a set of CR29's when all said and done.

This is solid thinking. Boring might be a good idea for someone who already has carbs and access to a machine shop where he could do the work himself. Paying a machine shop + buying carbs will be VERY close to the price of the CR's. Just having completely new carbs with no traces of gunk to worry about cleaning is worth any potential price difference IMO.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 15 Feb 2012 18:59 #504232

• camaroguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
new carbs is definitely sweet. no worries

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Feb 2012 04:07 #505199

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
lets not even talk about jetting one-off, bored carbs, be ready to order plenty of needles and jets from sudco....

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 20 Feb 2012 11:03 #505210

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Hadn't thought of that, but that's a great point.

My later model Kz1000 VM28 carbs should be on their way this week. They need some love, but I think they'll work out nicely.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 24 Feb 2012 19:38 #506165

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
So carbs are supposed to be in the mail along with a set of chinese rearsets. Got a master cylinder for the rearsets from an EX500 that should do the trick. Got the rear axle loose (what a pain) as well as the rotor off the engine and the countershaft sprocket. Anyone who does this really should get an impact wrench - saved me so much hassle - and I think they're only like $19 at Harbor Freight right now (electric) with a coupon: www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-comp...ct-wrench-94802.html

Anyways. Thought I would do some cleaning today - the rear fender and headlight ears are pitted pretty bad but I cleaned them up as best I can so I don't have to replace them right now. The AHRMA requires the rear fender be used - I had planned on not using it.

Before:

After:

Pistons:

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 24 Feb 2012 19:52 #506170

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
I have found myself getting overwhelmed with the amount of tasks that need to be tackled. So I'm going to step back and do one thing at a time. First up, the frame paint. And that has to wait for the weather to warm up some. Still ~34F here regularly and I can't paint indoors. Until then I'm going to work on cleaning up what I have and thinking things over.

Once the frame is paints I'll finish up the engine. I have just about everything planned out except the compression modifications as I'll have to do the measurements once everything is back together to determine how much I need to take everything down. At this point I'm planning on having the head and block surfaced to square them up and reduce the clearances to where I want them. I will likely be running on race gas so I'm hoping to get the compression over 11:1 if possible with the stock pistons to start with.

Last edit: by DoubleDub.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 24 Feb 2012 20:16 #506174

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it

DoubleDub wrote: I have found myself getting overwhelmed with the amount of tasks that need to be tackled. So I'm going to step back and do one thing at a time. First up, the frame paint. And that has to wait for the weather to warm up some. Still ~34F here regularly and I can't paint indoors. Until then I'm going to work on cleaning up what I have and thinking things over.

Once the frame is paints I'll finish up the engine. I have just about everything planned out except the compression modifications as I'll have to do the measurements once everything is back together to determine how much I need to take everything down. At this point I'm planning on having the head and block surfaced to square them up and reduce the clearances to where I want them. I will likely be running on race gas so I'm hoping to get the compression over 11:1 if possible with the stock pistons to start with.

not a bad idea to run race gas. u wont need much. it may just be a bit of and inconvenience, that’s all. do u know anything about its longevity ?? just wondering if that will be an issue?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 24 Feb 2012 20:29 #506175

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
Of the gas? Not sure. The track I will be running at has a pump, though. I'm pretty sure the local speed shop will order it too. Both at a decent premium, I'm sure.

AHRMA Vintage Superbike Middleweight Racer 24 Feb 2012 20:40 #506177

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
oh , well that makes it simple. just drive up to the pump. Filler up and hit the track . B)
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)