Z1R Custom

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2011 23:14 #442888 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Z1R Custom

les holt wrote: Thanks for keeping him focused leon. I can't wait to see the finished parts. Right now I wish the tubing would show up so I can finish my exhaust. I think I'll work on the intake for the carb for now.
Keep at it Adam, looks like your making positive progress.

Work on pulling the log manifold off and give me an ID measurement :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2011 04:28 #442932 by boyracer
Replied by boyracer on topic Z1R Custom
I assumed the rake was for a front mount snail. Any other reason...looks? lowering? hook up?

More
06 Apr 2011 07:59 #442935 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Z1R Custom
I'll try and slip that intake off this evening to get your measurements larry but I'm betting its pretty close to stock port diameter, it's untouched. But like we talked on the phone, whatever you size would be best for the head, I'll match the manifold to.
Boyracer, the added rake is for high speed stability. These old bikes head shake pretty bad at moderate speeds and this one's capable of some pretty good top speed. Also, the offsets in the fork trees is much less than the original Z1R trees which also adds to high speed stability. Try looking up rake and trail calculator to get a better understanding of why people do it. And your right, I think it looks much more fitting on these old bike.B)
Adam, I understand the off on a tangent, I prevented some of that on this bike by waiting and planning and purchasing most of the altering parts before starting. Right now my tangents are things that are necessary but not necessarily what I was working on the day before. Last night I worked on the carb manifold while also designing rearset mounts. Staying daylight longer so working longer in the shop.

More
06 Apr 2011 22:48 #443113 by boyracer
Replied by boyracer on topic Z1R Custom

les holt wrote: Boyracer, the added rake is for high speed stability. These old bikes head shake pretty bad at moderate speeds and this one's capable of some pretty good top speed. Also, the offsets in the fork trees is much less than the original Z1R trees which also adds to high speed stability. Try looking up rake and trail calculator to get a better understanding of why people do it. And your right, I think it looks much more fitting on these old bike.B)

You can just see in my photos the old Kwak steering damper...probs best i never ran a speedo!
Seems a lot of work is all... Eddie,WG and AJ used to get some frightening speed outta these 1/4 ton heifers! Not the most aero bike around just how fast you thinking it will go?
Don't front mounts produce more power/better response?
I'm familiar with rake & trail v's stability....built a suzi 7/11 once!

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
06 Apr 2011 22:53 #443114 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Z1R Custom
If I had to guess, I'd say Les is looking to snuggle with 180mph a time or 2, maybe even 2 bills :evil: .....

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
06 Apr 2011 23:04 #443118 by les holt
Not sure on top speed but guessing pretty high 100's anyway, just don't want to gamble on it. I'm going to run a damper also, added insurance. I'm building with straight line performance in mind and not so much twisties. I love to watch road racing but I couldn't do it, scares the heck out of me.:laugh:
When you refer to front mount I assume your talking the turbo, if so, yeah, they probably do make more power and have better response but my experience is with the draw thru setups plus I find them more eye appealing. I'm kicking around the idea of doing an injected turbo for the next build but it's an expensive adventure. Been studying the mega squirt systems and they seem like a good unit to use.

• porchev914
  • User
More
07 Apr 2011 02:23 #443154 by porchev914
I prepped the back of the dash to make a mold of the indicator light enclosure today.

The ligth holes are filled with modeling clay as well as a fillet around the edge of the gauge holes next to the box. After laminating this mold, I'll use silicone to make a mold of the ignition cylinder boss, then I'll set up to make the molds for the little mounting ears on the tips of the wings. Then Les can have his unobtainable dash back :)

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

More
07 Apr 2011 07:53 #443168 by les holt
Glad to see it going well, I take it the previous repair on the back isn't going to effect you terribly? Really getting excited about seeing it.

More
07 Apr 2011 11:07 #443201 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Z1R Custom
dang it adam! :angry:

i'm all giddy now :woohoo: :whistle: !

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• porchev914
  • User
More
07 Apr 2011 16:08 #443253 by porchev914
No Les, the repairs shouldn't make any real problems for me. A few extra minutes here or there to work around, but that's all. I wanna get the indicator box mold laminated today though, and I'm excited to see how it turns out! I have figured out how I want to do the end mounts, and I'm still thinking about the best way to locate jig mounting points. It would be a crying shame to spend 40 he's and a couple hundred in materials and not have things line up :whistle:

FRANKEN Z!

More
07 Apr 2011 18:39 #443277 by les holt
I totally understand that. Those kind of mistakes are hard to swallow and even harder to recoup from. Still looking forward to seeing it. I have been tidying up some little things on the bike so I have plenty to do. Got the carb to turbo mount done last night.

• porchev914
  • User
More
09 Apr 2011 04:05 #443559 by porchev914
Here you go Les, a pic of the indicator light box mold layup B)

I had to use very light weight fiberglass fabric to conform to the tight radius corners of the box, but the corners were a pain in the @SS! I didn't use too many layers so that even after it was cured, the mold would be a little flexible to aid in removal. Once removed I'll add more reinforcement. Another change I made was the composition of the mold. The first coat, or tooling coat is epoxy resin with 20% graphite powder added by weight. After that coat of resin tacked up, I folled it with UV cure polyester resin and the usual fiberglass cloth. With a small mold like this, I don't have to worry about the polyester resin shrinking very much and distorting the mold. The polyester resin is 1/3 the cost of epoxy, and I can cure it with either UV lights or set it out in the sun, which is a nice feature. I'm sure you wanted to know all of this, didn't you Les? :laugh:

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments: