A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!

More
26 Feb 2010 17:30 #350312 by enaz1
Replied by enaz1 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
your bike looking gooood! keep it up!:woohoo:

75 z1 900 Big Guy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
27 Feb 2010 07:37 - 27 Feb 2010 07:55 #350372 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Lookin good man...

You can bend and manipulate those brackets however you like. I would just put the tank on and feel how much space I had left and then bend them up a bit, not much is necessary though cause...

You are correct. The mounting is slightly different on the newer bikes, and the gas tank hangs lower, covering more of the frame and coils. There is also more space between the coils and engine too. The J frames have a larger engine area.

You might have a problem with a bend like that in the clutch cable... but you'll know once your running and hot, if it get real hard to pull. *USE WHEEL BEARING GREASE ALL UP IN THE BALL END AT THE LEVER!* This will prevent the wear in this area where the cable always snaps first from the ball end catching and bending the cable back and forth! ...the ball is supposed to smoothly roll in there. If you have to sand both surfaces lightly to aid movement, I highly suggest doing so!

PS. MY NINE IS IMPERIAL B%@#$! :laugh:

GL!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 27 Feb 2010 07:55 by TeK9iNe.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
27 Feb 2010 15:51 #350423 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
TeK9iNe wrote:

PS. MY NINE IS IMPERIAL B%@#$! :laugh:

Oh snap!

I spent quite a bit of time at the bike today, basically all day barring the times when we were winning gold medals, which was a few times :) CANADA FTW!

I put my new ss brake lines on and they look freaking awesome, except for the rear line which I measured 2 inches too long, so its kind of funny looking (I will replace) but the front is sick looking. I bled the back, but ran out of fluid for the front. I also put the foot peg brackets back on, swapped the rear axle orientation, installed the airbox, throttle cable, LED rear turnsignals, did some more wiring, moved my sissy bar, and then spent like an hour trying to get the carbs back in. I think I did it worng twice before I figured how to do it right and decided to fuck it and go home. Putting carbs back in with the stock airbox chaps my ass! As you have likely guessed I forgot the camera, so pics will come in a couple days :blush:

I will try to lessen the kink in the clutch cable as much as I can, again, this is why I love my little quarter fairing!

Thanks for the help in the home stretch..

More
27 Feb 2010 16:52 #350435 by enaz1
Replied by enaz1 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
you menory must be as long as your
. you should leave the cammra their! unless your gone to take pic of all those gold medals off the vt.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

75 z1 900 Big Guy

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
27 Feb 2010 17:14 #350438 by 9am53
I would leave the camera there, but it's my buddies garage, and it might go "missing" or rather just walk away...so I have to bring it home and then forget to take it with me. When I have a house of my own it will be much better. No more tv for me, I have act interested in my girlfriend for the rest of the night...damn. lol

ANyways, have a good night!

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
04 Mar 2010 04:24 #351174 by 9am53
I did some messing around last night and got my rear brake bled, boy the ss brake lines make a big difference! I get awesome pressure now!

I also installed the carbs, which was a pita, but nothing a few beers can't handle.

Now I jsut have to figure out that front brake hose thing and I am almost good to go!

More
04 Mar 2010 04:34 - 04 Mar 2010 04:40 #351176 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Holly crapola... your leaving the coils that way! :blink:

Come on brother, you can't seriously be doing that...

After all the hard work you put into this, naw, figure a way to get them tucked up in there correctly or fab up a mounting bracket....

Anything but leaving them directly over the engine and in view as in that last picture would be better... If you don;t you'll be out on a ride looking at that setup every time and it will be killing you that you didn't go the extra step... ;)

Another thing to think about especially on a new engine re-build... You're going to have to be in the head in the next couple hundred kilometers checking your shim to valve clearances... How the hell you going to remove the valve cover with the coils in the way, remove them each time! :huh:

Ok, I'll shut up now... :blush:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 04 Mar 2010 04:40 by Old Man Rock.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
04 Mar 2010 04:42 #351177 by 9am53
I know what your are saying, I did bend the brakcets a bit and the coils are not really that close to the motor at all. As somebody mentioned our bikes are different, and when I tried my tank on like Tek9 said it covered them up just perfect.

Just out of curiousity, I forgot how my throttle cable was routed, is it really a big deal as long s there is no kinking and it's not sitting on the motor?

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
07 Mar 2010 20:24 #351874 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Your coils are fine. That is the correct position/height for the newer frames ;) They actually stay cooler than the old setup, naturally.

Don't worry about the throttle cable. So long as its lubed good and not kinked or getting fried, you're OK.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
08 Mar 2010 04:20 #351918 by 9am53
thx. I put the kerker on last night and love it! I will be firing it up in the next couple weeks, just paint and some tidying up to do.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Mar 2010 04:30 #352133 by 9am53
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...me=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

oh yeah, it's in the mail.

Here is a shot of the kerker after I put it on:

Just have to attach that hanger bracket and I am good to go. Don't mind that brake line, I measured it wrong and will be replacing it.

The exhaust came with an extension section that clamped on after the collector and the canister clamped onto that. It is about 8 inches long and made the exhaust stick out to the back of the back tire basically. Is this something that is used for stretched swingarms?

More
09 Mar 2010 05:26 - 09 Mar 2010 05:28 #352155 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Have for many years incorporated a little mini rubber motor mount in the fabricated bracket attachment, which isolates the bike frame from vibration. :cheer:

Using on both bikes, and they really work. B)

Good Fortune! :)

Kerker on KZ900-B1 LTD

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Mar 2010 05:28 by Patton.