A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
11 Mar 2010 08:26 #352657 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
9am53 wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

Ground the light with the clip to any where on the motor or the battery. Stick the point in the connector for either the black or green, depending on which coil you are testing. Turn the crank with the 17mm wrench with the key ON the light will light up when the ignition fires. It should fire when your timing marks line up. Do the same with the other side the same way.

This is exactly what I did, but the light stayed on. Based on Pattons pic it would seem that I was jsut connecting ground to (+) through the curly coils in the pic, therefor no switching on or off.

I just did this procedure a few days ago while installing a Dyna ignition. I put the point of the tester into the connector, not on the coil itself. Mine turned the light on when the ignition fired and turned OFF after a quarter turn past fire.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 Mar 2010 09:05 #352668 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Lest my head explode and leave a zombies lunch all over my lab I am going to try out Pattons pictorial explanation first since it makes sense to me. If this yields unsatisfactory results I will crawl back and ask again. Unfortunately I can't find a procedure for static timing in my manual...sheesh!

Mercy Buckets

More
11 Mar 2010 09:57 - 11 Mar 2010 09:59 #352674 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Stock '82KZ1000LTD ign uses pulsing coil (under points plate) for ground/unground signal > igniter > ign coils.

If replaced with Dyna S, the igniter is no longer used, and the signal wires from Dyna S pickups go directly to ign coils primary terminals.

The Dyna S has a slotted backplate to adjust timing. And also each Dyna S pickup coil may be independently adjusted to fine tune 1/4 timing and 2/3 timing, separately from one another.

A strobe type timing light may be used with either stock or Dyna S to inspect the timing by viewing alignment of the F mark with case mark at idle rpm, and to view functioning of the advancer unit by watching it quickly move back and forth as rpm is varied by blipping the throttle.

Imo, static timing (engine not running) is just getting close enough for the engine to run, so that far more accurate dynamic timing (engine running) may be inspected and adjusted if necessary.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 11 Mar 2010 09:59 by Patton.

More
11 Mar 2010 10:02 #352677 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Not that it's any better or worse than a continuity test light, but I use an ohmmeter to determine continuity.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
11 Mar 2010 10:06 - 11 Mar 2010 10:17 #352678 by 9am53
I was planning on doing this static timing as you say just to make sure I can start it up, and then use my new timing gun to check it out once I get it going.

That explanation of how my ignition system is different than Dyna explains why that old guys tutorial didn't work for me, thanks for not just glossing over it and helping me understand! KZR rules
Last edit: 11 Mar 2010 10:17 by 9am53.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
12 Mar 2010 11:11 - 12 Mar 2010 11:12 #352925 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Timming shmiming!:laugh:

With points or dyna, just set them at center settings to start, and you wont have any problems. If you have the kaw elec ignition, then assemble and forget, no timing needed unless you plan on modifying the plate.

Then... Just fire her up with the timing light on there, and have a look. :P

Its real fast n, easy.

PS. Correct timing is WAY more important at full advance then at idle. ;)

Good Luck! Come by soon! its gettin' nice. :cheer:

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 12 Mar 2010 11:12 by TeK9iNe.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
12 Mar 2010 11:32 #352932 by 9am53
soon my friend, soon. I am riding to the Bruce peninsula in may with my old man...wanna meet up halfway?

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
12 Mar 2010 12:28 #352940 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Patton wrote:

Imo, static timing (engine not running) is just getting close enough for the engine to run, so that far more accurate dynamic timing (engine running) may be inspected and adjusted if necessary.

I have found out that if static timing is dead nuts and the advancer is working correctly 9 out of 10 times the timing light will be dead nuts also. I ALWAYS double check the static method with a strobe for assurance.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
13 Mar 2010 16:38 #353144 by 9am53
So I tried the static timing again using Patton's method, and this time I got nothing. I hooked it up with my multimeter and got nothing again. I then said fuggit and turned the lights down and checked for spark. I got a nice blue/white strong spark from both coils so I am gonna say screw it. I made sure I put the advancer in right, and from my million times turning the engine over I know it's not 180* out. I have a timing gun and will check the dynamic timing with the spark plug once it's running. There are no slots for the pickup plate to rotate around, so I put it back the way it went in from the factory. I also drained some of my oil because of my ZDDP debacle and toppped up with some Nugold (cheap oil here in Canuckia). My new headers allow access to my drain plug, and I think I will be able to remove the oil filter as well; sick. I then wetsanded all my plastics and my tank and I almost got a chub looking at my paint, I am happy with it for sure! It was pouring rain out here, so I am going to wait for a dryer day before I spray my clear. I also put my seat on which has 2 more inches under my ass and is comfy as hell, I just think I am going to have to have it altered as the front part that covers up the tank bolt (under my crotch) seems like it is not quite right. Again, sorry no camera. Once I get a house of my own there will be more pics I promise! lol

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
15 Mar 2010 08:32 #353595 by TeK9iNe
Maybe, we see. I'm pretty busy through the early summer months, but I would'nt count out completely.

It would be very cool ;)

B)

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
15 Mar 2010 08:33 #353596 by TeK9iNe
Kawickrice wrote:

Patton wrote:

I have found out that if static timing is dead nuts and the advancer is working correctly 9 out of 10 times the timing light will be dead nuts also. I ALWAYS double check the static method with a strobe for assurance.

DATS RIGHT...

:laugh:

B)

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
15 Mar 2010 08:36 #353598 by TeK9iNe
9am53 wrote:

So I tried the static timing again using Patton's method, and this time I got nothing. I hooked it up with my multimeter and got nothing again. I then said fuggit and turned the lights down and checked for spark. I got a nice blue/white strong spark from both coils so I am gonna say screw it. I made sure I put the advancer in right, and from my million times turning the engine over I know it's not 180* out. I have a timing gun and will check the dynamic timing with the spark plug once it's running. There are no slots for the pickup plate to rotate around, so I put it back the way it went in from the factory. I also drained some of my oil because of my ZDDP debacle and toppped up with some Nugold (cheap oil here in Canuckia). My new headers allow access to my drain plug, and I think I will be able to remove the oil filter as well; sick. I then wetsanded all my plastics and my tank and I almost got a chub looking at my paint, I am happy with it for sure! It was pouring rain out here, so I am going to wait for a dryer day before I spray my clear. I also put my seat on which has 2 more inches under my ass and is comfy as hell, I just think I am going to have to have it altered as the front part that covers up the tank bolt (under my crotch) seems like it is not quite right. Again, sorry no camera. Once I get a house of my own there will be more pics I promise! lol

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Check for spark, OK it works...

Startin to sound like me!!!

But, yeah... may as well do the dynamic thing later. It will probly like dead nuts or real close!

Cheers.

B)

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E