Z1000R and Z1000J - Lots of pics, and Gun-Kote oven baked paint.

More
20 Oct 2008 06:32 #242790 by Skinthead
Replied by Skinthead on topic Z1000R and Z1000J - Lots of pics, and Gun-Kot
Ok, I am now thoroughly addicted! I have 2 K's at home, and am watching this with a great deal of anticipation! Between my KZ650, and the CSR1000 I just got about a month ago I am now plotting projects along the lines of this one.

The mass of us on the other side of the pond from you are learning much from you in materials usage. I do believe you guys in Europe have it on us in creativity hands down!

I can't wait to see the bike finished now, and hear about the first ride! Keep it up!

Doc

81 CSR 1000, 81 KZ650, 83 GPz550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2008 11:41 #242839 by RoyNor
babyELR wrote:

You are pulling off what most of us can only dream about. That has got to be one of the most unique and awsome looking J's coming together ever. Keep the updates coming!

Skinthead wrote:

Ok, I am now thoroughly addicted! I have 2 K's at home, and am watching this with a great deal of anticipation! Between my KZ650, and the CSR1000 I just got about a month ago I am now plotting projects along the lines of this one.

The mass of us on the other side of the pond from you are learning much from you in materials usage. I do believe you guys in Europe have it on us in creativity hands down!

I can't wait to see the bike finished now, and hear about the first ride! Keep it up!

Doc

Thank you boys! :cheer:
Its really nice that you likes my project!

I hope I can start up again soon now, that trailer takes up time for me, but after thats done I have a garage that will help me big time. :woohoo:

More
20 Oct 2008 12:06 #242843 by Skinthead
I like your project so much I wanna jump on a plane and come help you finish it! hell, I wanna ride that sucker!

Until I caught this thread I was considering getting the 1000 I have running and selling it. Now I think I am gonna keep it and see if I can't do some creative work around some of yours! That machine is gonna be AWESOME!

Doc

More
20 Oct 2008 15:21 #242857 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic Z1000R and Z1000J - Lots of pics, and Gun-Kot
Very very nice. Thats the best project I've seen on here so far.

I just wish I had your patience. I need to do some sandblasting over the winter, but I can hardly bring myself to think of it. I just took all the plastics off my bike yesterday, and theres rust on my frame. I sandblasted and painted the entire thing three years ago, so I guess its back to square one, but I'll be using por15 this time.

I have a bunch of dirt on my engine halves that doesn't want to come off. I've tried abrasive pads, and even sand, but it doesn't seem to wan to budge. Any ideas?

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
21 Oct 2008 12:29 #243050 by RoyNor
Skinthead wrote:

I like your project so much I wanna jump on a plane and come help you finish it! hell, I wanna ride that sucker!

Until I caught this thread I was considering getting the 1000 I have running and selling it. Now I think I am gonna keep it and see if I can't do some creative work around some of yours! That machine is gonna be AWESOME!

Doc

Thanks! :lol:

I am glad you have been inspired to give your Kawa a second chance!
Thats all this site is about, thats my opinion anyway! :cheer:

And good luck with your bike!
Its many ideas and projects around in the project section, to find even more inspiration. :)

More
21 Oct 2008 12:47 #243052 by RoyNor
77_650B1 wrote:

Very very nice. Thats the best project I've seen on here so far.

I just wish I had your patience. I need to do some sandblasting over the winter, but I can hardly bring myself to think of it. I just took all the plastics off my bike yesterday, and theres rust on my frame. I sandblasted and painted the entire thing three years ago, so I guess its back to square one, but I'll be using por15 this time.

I have a bunch of dirt on my engine halves that doesn't want to come off. I've tried abrasive pads, and even sand, but it doesn't seem to wan to budge. Any ideas?

Thanks! :blush:

I think POR-15 is a good choice for paint.
I will say you dont need to do the sandblasting again for a while then after using POR-15. :)

As for the dirt on your engine, have you tried degreasing and steam/high pressure water?
Just be careful, so you dont blow away gaskets or other stuff...
Otherwise its time and grinding, maybe steel brush on a angle grinder or drill? And after that you could use a polish, Autosol or other to give the shiny silver gloss look back again. but when you first are started with it you have to continue now and then with polishing...:blink:
Thats why i go for Gun-Kote!
I hate polishing when I can do other things, :P

More
21 Oct 2008 13:16 #243059 by 77_650B1
Yeah I guess I have to try some other methods, I'm gonna try snadblasting again first, then I'm gonna use por15 engine enamel I think.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
22 Oct 2008 09:40 #243221 by RoyNor
Then its no problem!
I thought you had the engine in the frame, but if the engine already is taken apart, and you are planning to paint it, just sandblast the cases.

That black sticky oildirt mixture can also be removed before blasting if you brush it in a thinner bath, thats my experience.

I have no experience with the POR-15 engine paint, but if the quality is like the other products, then it must be a good product.

"Extra-pigment ENGINE ENAMELS have been formulated by RestoMotive Laboratories to be the best and most beautiful engine enamels you can buy. Enamels are available in incredibly rich colors that flow easily, cover better than any other paint, and last longer. Our enamels are non-flammable and conform to even the strictest California environmental standards. We invite you to compare them with any other product and you'll see what we mean.
Typically, a pint is enough for an entire engine."

More
24 Oct 2008 07:41 #243524 by Skinthead
You and your friend have got to get that trailer finished soon! I am having withdrawals already!

What have you been able to do to it in the mean time?

Doc

More
24 Oct 2008 08:15 #243531 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Z1000R and Z1000J - Lots of pics, and Gun-Kot
he is working on the trailer as we speak:laugh: .
i don't think much slows roy down,although he doesn't post it all here.

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
26 Oct 2008 20:04 #243997 by switch
RoyNor

When you sandblasted, what media did you use? I am under the impression that KG wants Aluminum Oxide 120 grit. Did you use something else? If so, what were your reasons for using a different media.

I am just trying to get my (borrowed)blast cabinet in working order. All is ready except vacuum and light. So I am very interested in what you have done.
Thanks

1981 KZ1000 M1 CSR
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (gone)
You do not have to believe everything you think!

More
29 Oct 2008 11:00 #244484 by RoyNor
switch wrote:

RoyNor

When you sandblasted, what media did you use? I am under the impression that KG wants Aluminum Oxide 120 grit. Did you use something else? If so, what were your reasons for using a different media.

I am just trying to get my (borrowed)blast cabinet in working order. All is ready except vacuum and light. So I am very interested in what you have done.
Thanks

I am using ordinary brown blasting sand, the finest version of it, I dont remember the size, but somewhere in the thread its explained the size.

The reason is because some of the aluminum oxide can be a health risk to use because the dust can be danger for your lungs, even when you use dustmask.
The pro people use fresh air mask when they blast with oxide.

I know KG says alu oxide, because it makes sharper edges and the paint will stick better, but after what i have learn, it seems to stick very nice with the brown sand as well.

Are you planning to use Gun-Kote? :woohoo: