Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff

More
06 May 2011 18:04 - 06 May 2011 18:05 #449260 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
Well it's time for another update... I went to change the oil and things kinda snowballed, as they usually do... :pinch:

I had been having problems with the power fading at high revs (over 7K). It would make more noise but it just felt like it wasn't kicking out the power it used to. In the twisties it wouldn’t really carry high revs into turns (or rather there was no point)so I would end up short shifting it around 6K. I messed around with carburation for a long time, checked and double checked ignition timing and coild power supply, but started to suspect something else was going on.

It was time for an oil change and I stripped out my APE drain plug. When I removed the oil pan to replace it I found a rubber cam chain damper in the pan. Looking down the cam chain tunnel, none were missing but the O-ring was getting mushroomed into the tunnel (I've since learned you don't use the o-ring with a 1-piece gasket).
I popped the head off and found some really dirty piston crowns. Cleaned them up, siliconed the groove and reinstalled the head, only to have it leak a shit ton of oil from the head gasket. I made the mistake of installing the head gasket wet and I didn’t torque the head tight enough. I rode maybe 150 miles and took the head back off to clean up the mess. The piston crowns I had just cleaned were dirty as hell 150 miles later so I suspected a major ignition problem. Ohmed the coils and sure enough one is dead (infinity) and the other measures 24K. There's my high rev power problem... Must have been intermittent because the bike was running fine at lower revs.

Attachment 3.jpg not found

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 May 2011 18:05 by dutchz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2011 18:05 #449261 by dutchz
I replaced the Dyna coils and decide to put my CR31 carbs back on in lieu of the VM29s. Larry finds out and tells me I really need to send him the head back so he can crank it up a notch to match the higher flow of the CRs. Out it goes so Larry can do his magic.
Meanwhile the shocks are at Works Performance for a full rebuild and some revalving.

Larry wasn't kidding and the head came back with 38mm intakes, 31mm exhausts and a 95cfm port job... I rode it this past weekend and what can I say... it absolutely ripped! I really need to get this thing back on the dyno to see what it does with the head work, carbs and the pipe I made last year…

Attachment lcr.jpg not found

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

More
06 May 2011 18:07 #449262 by dutchz
It looks like I’m going to the track for the first time in June so I made a belly pan for it. You don’t need oil containment for track school but just in case the old girl does leak a drop I’ve got it covered now!

Attachment bellypan2.jpg not found

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
06 May 2011 19:01 #449267 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
looking good,as usual ! B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 May 2011 10:02 #449410 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
She really looks sweet . B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
07 May 2011 10:16 - 07 May 2011 10:17 #449412 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 May 2011 10:17 by Old Man Rock.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
07 May 2011 10:27 #449413 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
that be tight...

dutchz wrote: It looks like I’m going to the track for the first time in June so I made a belly pan for it. You don’t need oil containment for track school but just in case the old girl does leak a drop I’ve got it covered now!

Attachment bellypan2.jpg not found

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
08 May 2011 00:29 #449508 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
sander is back on top again! :evil:

i can't wait to get one of those bellypans,very nicely done.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
29 Jun 2011 21:53 #460194 by dutchz
I got one of these batteries in trade, it's a Ballistic EVO 8-cell LFP battery.
www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/8cell.html

Attachment ballistic.jpg not found

I was a bit leery of installing it because I wasn't sure how it would handle a 40 year old charging system, even though I have rewired the bike from scratch and it has a modern reg/rec.
In a bid to lighten the bike a few years back I had converted it to kick-only with a little scooter battery under the seat. Knee surgery forced me to put my electric starter back on last year so I changed the battery to a Hayabusa gel battery - the "smallest" package with decent cranking amps I could find. It barely fit under the seat and weighed a whopping 9.4 pounds, and that weight is in the wrong place up high and rearwards.
I finally broke down and installed the battery before last weekend. I was able to use the battery box I originally made for the small scooter battery. In fact, the battery was a bit smaller than the box so I put a few small pieces of foam inside the box to take up the space. This battery is incredibly light (1.8lbs) in fact it's hard to believe it would crank the motor over but it did so without hesitation - 1075cc/10.25 compression in this case.

I rode about 160 miles with it on Sunday with zero problems, it started the bike on the button after every stop (5 times) and ran the bike under normal electrical load (headlight, dual taillights, Dyna S). Starting voltage before installation was 13.45V, I will pull the tail section off sometime in the next few weeks and measure it again to see if it's changed at all.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

More
30 Jun 2011 00:42 - 30 Jun 2011 00:45 #460231 by tobiism
Replied by tobiism on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
I use the Shorai version in my 1200S Sportster. I have the Lithium Iron 210CCA that weighs the same as yours. Its unbelievable how lightweight they are.

I've had it for a few months now, and even after sitting for a month without being used, the bike fired up like nothing. I won't go back to regular batteries anymore. This one only cost $150.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2011 00:45 by tobiism.

More
30 Jun 2011 02:42 #460244 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
thamx for the heads up on those lightweight batteries, had heard some info on them but this really look like a winner

More
05 Jul 2011 08:28 #461103 by Ruff
Replied by Ruff on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
@Dutchz,
Really cool build. Two words come to mind. Talent and Pride. I'm looking forward to more.
BTW Any info on that headlight will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ruff