Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff

More
24 Oct 2010 17:56 #408853 by tk11b40
Replied by tk11b40 on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
Hey Dutch,

This is the first i have seen of your bike, I don't know how I missed it it is fantastic.

I am curious as to how low you got the overall weight. I surfed through about 8 pages of the thread, maybe i missed it.

Take a look at mine, i would like to get to 450 pounds.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...it=20&limitstart=380

The theme is a little different than yours, as I am using modern stuff, so it should be easier to get the weight off.

Very nice work Dutch.

Suzuki GSXR 750 slabside
Ducati S4R
Husqvarna FE 350s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2010 18:23 #408859 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
Bad Kaw wrote:

How's the leg; how's the bike?
You cerainly came out with a fantastic creation!
-KR

Thanks! Just got back from a ride in the twisties, first ride on new tires, so took it easy. I switched from Bridgestone BT-45s to Avon Roadriders and all I gotta say is DAMN! why did I wait so long... :lol: Love 'em. Not much else is new other than the velocity stack/filters I'm testing... (separate post in the carb forum). The bike is feeling really good. The 38mm frontend with the Racetech emulators and heavier oil is rock solid in turns. Brakes are awesome. Pipe sounds great. I have the mold for the half fairing ready but I'm kinda digging the number plate, so it's staying for a bit.
Small niggles/winter projects... I have to get the shocks revalved by Works, not enough damping. Small oil leak from a case bolt next to the kick starter, but it's a motor-out deal to fix. Have been thinking about raising the numberplate and mounting an Earls oil cooler underneath it. It can get hot here in summer.

Six months after the surgery, the knee is starting to feel much better. I'm done with PT and working on strength and flexibility. It's not bugging me when riding anymore and I can get back on the bike now after hanging off...

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
24 Oct 2010 18:56 #408865 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
:woohoo: I chewed up a Battle axe I guess I ride hard lol

Went to the local maw kaw shop he looked at what I had and chuckeled he took me inside and showed me the new Road Rider from Avon.

I rode that tire in sturgis for the real first ride and loved it! Thats my new tire any bikes I own from now on will get a nice pair of these.

Funny how much diferent tires handle .

Not bashing the battle axe prob a real good track tire just didnt last riding day in day out!

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

More
24 Oct 2010 19:34 - 27 Oct 2010 10:03 #408872 by dutchz
tk11b40 wrote:

Hey Dutch,

This is the first i have seen of your bike, I don't know how I missed it it is fantastic.

I am curious as to how low you got the overall weight. I surfed through about 8 pages of the thread, maybe i missed it.

Take a look at mine, i would like to get to 450 pounds.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...it=20&limitstart=380

The theme is a little different than yours, as I am using modern stuff, so it should be easier to get the weight off.

Very nice work Dutch.

Thank you much. Yes the theme is different but looking at your thread the disease is the same :laugh: Very cool project! I weighed mine 2 weeks ago, 450lbs soaking wet (oil, battery, full tank of gas), 51/49% F/R at that B) .

I have recently added some weight by adding the starter, starter clutch and a larger battery due to the knee thing. Next time I split the cases I'll make up for it by removing the kickstarter gear & arm... Other than that there is not a lot more weight I can take off in street trim. Gun drilled axles would be rad - and that's unsprung weight so counts double.

Yes modern components may allow some more weight savings, it looks like you've damn near replaced anything that's heavy already.
Don't know what battery you have, I use a sealed Hayabusa battery which is much smaller and lighter than stock and has no problem cranking the starter.
My FG tank is a big weight saver. You may want to look at a CF tank once porchev914 perfects his process. Stock headlight is heavy (don't know what you're planning for that).

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Last edit: 27 Oct 2010 10:03 by dutchz.

More
24 Oct 2010 19:41 - 24 Oct 2010 19:43 #408875 by dutchz
ready2ryde1985 wrote:

:woohoo: I chewed up a Battle axe I guess I ride hard lol

Went to the local maw kaw shop he looked at what I had and chuckeled he took me inside and showed me the new Road Rider from Avon.

I rode that tire in sturgis for the real first ride and loved it! Thats my new tire any bikes I own from now on will get a nice pair of these.

Funny how much diferent tires handle .

Not bashing the battle axe prob a real good track tire just didnt last riding day in day out!

Yes huge differences between tires. Don't know about longevity, have only had the Avons for a day. The BT45s are definitely not a bad tire, they are much more stable on the freeway and I got good mileage out of them.
But going into turns the Avons roll off the center so much nicer than the BT45s which would kind of drop off, the Avons feel more progressive and they are stickier as well. Huge confidence booster, I'm very impressed.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Last edit: 24 Oct 2010 19:43 by dutchz.

More
26 Oct 2010 13:12 #409191 by Pfaelzer
Replied by Pfaelzer on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
Just got done reading the whole threat - fantastic, I am loving it.
Looking forward to seeing pics with the modded Rickman.
Thx for a great write up.

1977 KZ 1000
Queen Creek, Arizona

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
27 Oct 2010 09:26 #409408 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff

Gun drilled axles would be rad - and that's sprung weight so counts double.

I think you mean unsprung weight. Sprung weight would be the engine chassis and anything else that is suspended. You are of course right that it does count for double though.

How about titanium axles?? Or even aluminum?? Do you think they would be hard to machine?? strong enough??

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

More
27 Oct 2010 10:33 #409428 by dutchz
Thanks Pfaelzer! No rush on the Rickman fairing, number plate is staying for a bit...

Becker, you are right of course, thanks. Aluminum is not an option at that diameter. Titanium would be an option but I'd much prefer a gun drilled steel axle.

1974 Kawasaki Z1

More
07 Nov 2010 16:04 #411533 by tobiism
Replied by tobiism on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - new stuff
Imagine my surprise when I saw this bike at Slab City Riot!!! I was so stoked to see this thing up close! The number plate bracket and dash are SO clean! Great job, I only wish I could have heard it running in person!!!

More
08 Nov 2010 23:32 #411780 by dutchz
Didn't know you were there as well,woulda gladly started her up for ya! Had a blast... Lots of cool bikes? Check. Free beer and jack daniels? Check. Wiffle bat fight in the cocktagon? You bet... :laugh:

1974 Kawasaki Z1

More
22 Jan 2011 17:40 #424473 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - quick turn throttle
Hey all ticked another box in my ever evolving project... Got some pics for ya, maybe useful for someone.

Been wanting to do something about my throttle action for a while. It's got a long throw from closed to WOT - I have to reposition my hand when winding it on hard so I have been looking for something with quicker action. It would have been fairly easy to pick up a modern throttle assembly but I really like the way everything is routed right now (picture below) and bolting on a modern push/pull throttle just wouldn't jive with the rest of the bike. As you see I no longer use the stock switch/throttle housing/mc on my bike.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:

More
22 Jan 2011 17:44 - 22 Jan 2011 18:07 #424476 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Dutchz Z1 road burner - quick turn throttle
It's a Motion Pro push/pull assembly ($15 sans cables) hooked up to my VM29 smoothbores - I've had it for a few years. The spool diameter on this assembly is about 30mm - same as the stock Z1 tube. I did a bit of research on spool diameters. PMC sells a really nice quick turn assembly that uses a 36mm spool - at a price of course ($140 I think?). They claim a 20% reduction in throw with that so that seemed like a good starting point. Turns out a (modern) Z1000 throttle tube is 36mm so if I can cram that into the MP housing I'm in business - for the cost of $10. Picked up a Z1000 tube from Motion Pro (thanks Corey!).

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jan 2011 18:07 by dutchz.