Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kz440 Redemption 25 Oct 2015 00:29 #695833

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Looks good, hopefully you'll be able to get a nice ride and put some miles on her before your weather acts up. My bad I didn't read about your exhaust problem sooner, I definitely could've helped you out, just would've needed 2 measurements from ya.
You're waiting on something along the lines of this I'm guessing..

I can't wait to start doing my exhaust once I get my newly acquired rod knock taken care of.
Oh and congrats on the marriage! Hopefully your kz will grow on her and she'll suggest a his & hers? Hahaha..

ed
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz440 Redemption 27 Oct 2015 16:58 #696193

• Jbosh
  • Jbosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Ed! Man! Do you have to tease me with all that properly sized and fitting exhaust? :P
So... The order from England? 1-3/4" ID and OD... :sick: Somebody didn't read my note!!!! Or get my drawing...
It would have been perfect. Exact bend and length. 5" long with a 5-10* bend on a 1-1/2" ID to OD exhaust extension sleeve. I guess triumph rebuilds on the other side of the pond like these! Just the wrong diameter.
I took it back. £59 in the end translated to just over $100. Now, a shop in Calgary is making the sleeves by hand for $40? I'll find out tomorrow when I pick them up.

In more exciting news,
SHES ALIVE!!!!! (This moment needs an emoticon exploding things + riding a unicorn + being chased by chuck Norris wielding a bacon sandwich)

Hokey Moses was that exhilaration and a half!!! Truthfully, I'm not over it lol.

I have carb tuning to do...
Martin_csr mentioned to another forum member advice he had stumbled across about instead of tuning cv carbs to heat up a screwdriver and put it in your eye. :blink:

And yes I have pods on mine :D. Hehehe such a newb. But I got one wee little ride in before the snow! Ha!

I feel like I've won :P

And Ed, my wife already asked if we could go for a ride to the mountains. I'm not so certain on the 440's power to do so with two. So, once I find us another vehicle (not a bike), she didn't say no to further two wheeled pursuits and purchases ;). :woohoo:

Guys if you have cv32 tuning tips especially for pods, please help a brother out! I have video of the startup and roll off. Just need some time and wifi. It had the exhaust off :D :D :D. Wouldn't mind feedback on a little engine noise incase I'm just hearing things.
So. Much. Awesome.

Attachment image-70.jpg not found

Best month of my life.
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 24 May 2016 15:27 #728314

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Dear Interwebs,
I am needing your help. The bike is done but it doesn't sound good. No modifications where done to the engine aside from cleaning the carbs. Your help is very appreciated. I'm trying to not lose hope in this bike.

Attachment trim.79AC26BB-27AB-41A4-ABE2-51CA5C6DDF06.MOV not found

Attachments:

trim.79AC2...DF06.MOV

Kz440 Redemption 24 May 2016 17:43 #728325

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
So, you put pods and shorty mufflers on your bike and you did nothing else but clean your carbs?

You are about to visit the wonderful land of rejetting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Kz440 Redemption 24 May 2016 20:38 #728353

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Gpz,
Jetting doesn't lend to noise like that though does it? I have the pods cheated temporarily with electrical tape until I can get my hand on proper jetting for my CV32's. My fear with the noise is that it's valve or piston related. Valve clearance wasn't bad though. A but spacious but not bad. That tick would lessen with higher revs though right if it was valve related? This didn't as I recall. It's more of a tak tak tak than a tic. Any help regarding better jetting this bike is greatly appreciated!

Last edit: by Jbosh.

Kz440 Redemption 25 May 2016 03:20 #728373

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I t might be something mechanical the clip is too short to tell. If you open up your pilot jets and retard your timing and it gets better it's pinging from running lean. Does applying the choke help?

Kz440 Redemption 25 May 2016 05:15 #728383

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Gpz,
The ping doesn't change with the choke no. There was a bit of backfire when I fired it up after reassembly but not now. I thought it was just resettling after air in the lines. Idle wise it holds well with no choke and doesn't try to die as you hear in the clip. I'll have to lookup how to retard the timing.

Last edit: by Jbosh. Reason: Clarity

Kz440 Redemption 25 May 2016 07:20 #728417

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
A lean condition you will hear popping and the exhaust will sound hollow and louder.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

Kz440 Redemption 25 May 2016 07:24 #728418

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Check you ensure you do not have an exhaust leak where the pipes attach to the cylinder head. A leak there can cause a noise similar to the one I hear in the video. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Kz440 Redemption 25 May 2016 15:17 #728521

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Ed, I haven't found yet anywhere if you are supposed to replace the copper exhaust gaskets after a certain km's. Thanks for that as that hadn't crossed my mind.

Kz440 Redemption 25 May 2016 15:20 #728522

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
They don't normally need to be replaced unless the pipes have been removed from the engine. If the engine has been removed the copper gaskets can leak and should be replaced. Some folks have had luck annealing them and reusing them, but I don't know how often that works or the best way to do it. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

Kz440 Redemption 25 May 2016 15:22 #728523

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Mine are 30 years old. I had to double them up though. I have a new set. Came with new nuts and washers. I'll keep em until I take the pipes off again. How long? I don't know. B)
Steve