TOPIC:

Kz440 Redemption 20 May 2015 17:16 #672913

• Jbosh
  • Jbosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Greetings from Canada!

Right after I got my motorcycle license, I picked up this old KZ440 LTD D4 belt drive and quickly fell in love with it. Basically, it's my first bike, and really came at an interesting point in life where the freedom to ride was immensely appreciated. I put about 50km on the bike as the new proud owner of a used bike and was succinctly left on the side of the road with a dead bike. So, in the process of repairing, I discovered a few things that needed attention. Basically the whole bike! I've been working on it as best I could for a couple months now but things are starting to take shape. So I don't lose the memories somewhere, and so that you all can enjoy and speak into my work on it, I figured I should share!

Mechanically, if any of you can help in the diagnosis of this clip, I would greatly appreciate it as I have what I beleive to be the same noise going on from what I believe is the clearance (or lack there of) on my intake and exhaust valves?

The picture is not my bike (didn't take a good pic for some odd reason before I began disassembly).

I will continue to post updates! More pictures to come
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz440 Redemption 20 May 2015 17:35 #672917

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Excessive valve noise would typically be caused by too much clearance allowing the camshaft lobe to slam into the follower.

It is hard tell for sure on the 25 cent speaker in my iPad, but that noise could be comming from a leaky exhaust gasket.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Kz440 Redemption 20 May 2015 17:44 #672920

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4

Attachment image.jpg not found

Not my bike but a very very close example of it.
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 20 May 2015 17:46 #672921

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Thanks for your thoughts Texas! If it were just leaky exhaust gaskets, I assume that replacing the gaskets would solve that issue? Those parts have been on my list already so that wouldn't be too far of a stretch.

Kz440 Redemption 20 May 2015 18:51 #672930

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 295

Jbosh wrote: The picture is not my bike (didn't take a good pic for some odd reason before I began disassembly).

That was your first mistake. You took a step off a cliff when the bike was
dismantled before the mechanics were taken care of.
You need to start by performing all routine maintenance such as valve lash
and ignition tune up.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Kz440 Redemption 20 May 2015 22:51 #672949

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Sorry for my ignorance here Rex but what do you mean by ignition tune up? As for maintenance, to date, I immediately changed the oil and filter (levels were low and the oil plug was in poor repair and not magnetic), purged and cleaned the carbs following a disassembly which turned up gelled components from old gas, and discovered that the battery was also in poor repair and needing replacement. After these things were done, I remounted everything for a trial startup which went fantastic aside from the engine noise. The bike sounded more confident than before that work I listed. It was not a well maintained bike as I've found. I do have a manual for it now thanks to a friend and am using the routine maintenance checklist as an instigator for priority work. But I'll be honest, as a new guy, I am afraid of adjusting something engine wise and buggering it up. The manual should take care of this though. How'd you get more confident to work on your engine? I don't want to be another one of those members here that posts about all these problems and never shows a finished product after it all. I want a well done finished bike when all is said and done. All that has been disassembled has been labelled in detail before removal to streamline the reassembly.

Many thanks

Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 05:33 #672954

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
We all have to start somewhere and it sounds like you're on the right track. Hard to tell from a video what a noise might be.
for sure valve adjustment and new exhaust gaskets, ignition timimg would be top of the check list and as you cover these and other maintenance item the noise may disappear.

You will probably find kz400.com a good place to check out for manuals and tech tips and if in doubt about anything ask here
good luck
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 07:54 #672980

• diggerdanh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 89
I don't see that you mentioned it, what year is the bike? I don't have enough experience with the 440s from just looking. If it is 82+ then there will be no ignition maintenance as it has an electronic ignition - at least it came from the factory like that. You probably should take off the timing cover and check to be sure.

Re:Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 09:06 #672991

• dom2570
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
I'm pretty sure he has an 81 44ltd D. I have the same bike. The 440s seem to really be popular lately.

The 81s have electric ignition as well. Good luck with the bike. They are really fun.

As far as getting the courage to dig into the engine, you just have to do your research and dive in!
Whip it like a mule!

Re:Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 09:16 #672994

• dom2570
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
www.kz400.com/WorkshopManFrameset-5.html

Kz400 has a slew of information regarding our bikes. I downloaded the manual as have been reading it at work. I am trying to figure out what went wrong with my 440, and am afraid I might need to remove and examine the top end, I have never done before.
Whip it like a mule!

Last edit: by dom2570.

Re:Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 09:45 #672996

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

dom2570 wrote: www.kz400.com/WorkshopManFrameset-5.html

Kz400 has a slew of information regarding our bikes. I downloaded the manual as have been reading it at work. I am trying to figure out what went wrong with my 440, and am afraid I might need to remove and examine the top end. Some I have never done before.

I never did it before I did it the first time either... LOL.... I think we've ALL been there!!
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Re:Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 12:01 #673008

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Hey guys, she is an 82 but manufactured in 81 as I discovered on the wiring loom. Digger, it is an electric start. Thanks for that info! Is this one of the smallest belt drives kawi has made?