Kz440 Redemption 30 Jun 2015 22:16 #678903

• Jbosh
  • Jbosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
A sneak peek!

Attachment image-22.jpg not found

6 days until paint has cured so it's time for some sizing up and planning through the next steps along with engine and fuel tank work (which are both at 50-60%). Frame and forks paint turned out below expectations. It'll work for a good base coat but now I need more paint! The triple tree and instrument cluster bases turned out saweet!
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz440 Redemption 01 Jul 2015 15:31 #678988

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
So I decided to pull out a few parts and just take a peek at how they will setup considering where my bike is at currently with the paint wrapping up in a week or so. I grabbed my new RFY nitrogen shocks and discovered that the 12mm bushing didn't fit so well on the 15mm shock pivot on the frame, I then grabbed the Chinese halo LED 7" headlight and attempted to pair it with my new 7" headlight bucket and rim compliments of DCC. There was no match made in heaven either. Cmon! The headlight has hope still but will require some modification probably on the headlight bucket rim and inside mounting bracket. The shocks can possibly be mounted without bushings? I'm not a big fan of doing that personally but I'll post what I do when I figure it out.

I think my problem is that I should be celebrating Canada Day instead of fretting about my bike for one day ;). That's hard as today marks the first day over my intended goal to have the bike back on the road. It's been over a year now. But it won't be much more!

Kz440 Redemption 01 Jul 2015 15:58 #678992

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Davido, just want to thank you again for passing on Chris's contact (www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/598118-h...ocks?start=20#671700) with CL Auto Tech (chrislivengood.net/wp/rfy-shocks-rebuild-service/) in regards to my hunt for reasonably priced nitrogen shocks. The guy literally emailed me back about my bushing issue an hour after I sent it. Just continually impressed. Big shout out to you both!

Last edit: by Jbosh. Reason: Missing web link

Kz440 Redemption 01 Jul 2015 23:07 #679068

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Alright, I got super curious!

Attachment image-23.jpg not found

Headlight fits! Unsure where the grill clips go though. Also, the headlight bucket brackets that are stock with the bike are a full 3/4" too narrow for the DCC 7-3/4" OD bucket :huh: . Nice assembly though! All I had to do was align the three tabs on the headlight itself with the bucket ring and sleeve. Tada! How'd I miss that! May need fork clamps to mount the new light afterall! What do you think of just bending out the old headlight to bike stock mounts? It is just 3/4". 3/8" per side? I'm debating.
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 02 Jul 2015 08:26 #679113

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286

Jbosh wrote: Davido, just want to thank you again for passing on Chris's contact (www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/598118-h...ocks?start=20#671700) with CL Auto Tech (chrislivengood.net/wp/rfy-shocks-rebuild-service/) in regards to my hunt for reasonably priced nitrogen shocks. The guy literally emailed me back about my bushing issue an hour after I sent it. Just continually impressed. Big shout out to you both!

No problem Jbosh. Ive no experience with the guy myself,it was just a link I came across during my many hours working on my build (A.K.A.sitting behind the computer) I saved it ,just in case,as you do. Im glad it worked out and the guy was able to help you.
One of the great things about this site!
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Kz440 Redemption 04 Jul 2015 09:09 #679383

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
I haven't figured out the rear shock bushing issue yet but the old motorcycle shop here in Calgary has been really good for advice and ideas as well. I'll be seeing what they have on hand this upcoming week for a few things.

Took some time this morning to do the second coat of gloss black on the rims. Fairly happy with them! I ran out of paint right at the very end so I have coverage but I am after the right finish. Might have to do a light wet sand and do a third coat. See we shall. As I took a step back, I suddenly thought of the white LED ring on my headlight and wondered what a fine gloss white line around the outside edge of the rims would do? Hmmm...

Attachment image-26.jpg not found

A few asked about the seat. Here is after adding another full length layer of yoga mat on top of some contouring and raising on the back end, I am content with it though my thought after I sat on it as a test was, "shoot this is narrow!" Hahaha but it's exactly how I want it.

Attachment image-27.jpg not found

The tank got some attention today. I haven't used proform spray primer before and I'll admit I am not cool with the chunkiness of its finish! However, quality wise, after a light wet sand, this will be what is needed to make the tank hopefully gleam. I think the knee wells have turned out alright! Might do one more skim coat of bondo.

Attachment image-28.jpg not found

Tomorrow afternoon is when I'll setup for a second coat on the auxilary parts (engine mounts, speedo buckets, to rear swing arm). The frame may get its second and really good coat at the same time but this is all time dependant ;).

As much as I know this is riding weather, man do I love having a project to work on in the garage! With a coffee in hand this morning, it was just right.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jbosh.

Kz440 Redemption 04 Jul 2015 09:22 #679387

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
  • Thank you received: 23

Jbosh wrote: A sneak peek!

Attachment image-22.jpg not found

6 days until paint has cured so it's time for some sizing up and planning through the next steps along with engine and fuel tank work (which are both at 50-60%). Frame and forks paint turned out below expectations. It'll work for a good base coat but now I need more paint! The triple tree and instrument cluster bases turned out saweet!

Mind if I ask how much those shocks set ya back?

Edit*** I found the pricing on the CL page. I wish I had seen that before buying a set of progressive shocks and springs off the bay last week.... Toying with the idea of returning them and getting the CL set... Hmmmm.
1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

Last edit: by Randombeat. Reason: update post

Kz440 Redemption 04 Jul 2015 21:11 #679457

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Sent you a PM. I have yet to ride on them but thus far I am very impressed.

Re:Kz440 Redemption 05 Jul 2015 13:07 #679535

• dom2570
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
Mind posting a link to those shocks?
Whip it like a mule!

Re:Kz440 Redemption 05 Jul 2015 22:02 #679585

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Dom,
Again, these have yet to be road tested and mounting will require some problem solving due to bushing size.
chrislivengood.net/wp/product/rfy-shock-package-340mm/

Kz440 Redemption 06 Jul 2015 23:45 #679849

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Final coats are on everything but the rims and tank! Man does that feel good and it is looking good too! The tank has been thirsty for primer haha so I went on a run after work today. Needless to say, auto part stores are not as knowledgeable or product wise as they should be in my opinion. The tank is just a hair away from getting its first coat of that magical orange. The forks worked out with the gloss black after all! I am a happy man this way. I did however manage to break the idiot light tree during disassembly. I have schemed an LED replacement. I'll keep you posted as it comes. Waiting to hear back about my seat getting upholstered. From the few I've seen tackle the seat, when asked they said get a pro to do it haha.

Last edit: by Jbosh.

Kz440 Redemption 06 Jul 2015 23:56 #679850

• larriken
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Nice work mate, looking forward to seeing it together.