Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 12:19 #673010

• dom2570
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
All I know about the belt drive for the 440s is that the belts are almost impossible to find, unless you risk getting a used one.

It is a direct bolt on conversion to chain drive through. 15 and 45 sprockets and 104 530 chain.

I replaced mine with JT sprockets and an RK standard for $77. A used belt on ebay is like $200
Whip it like a mule!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 13:14 #673014

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/598060-jis-screwdrivers

Jbosh
since you are new to bikes check out the above thread before you pick up a screwdriver
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

Last edit: by JR.

Re:Re:Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 13:16 #673015

• dom2570
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27

JR wrote: kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/598060-jis-screwdrivers

Josh
since you are new to bikes check out the above thread before you pick up a screwdriver

Yes, checkout my 440 thread. A PO had completely destroyed the majority or the jis heads on the bike. They were a pain to remove.
Whip it like a mule!

Re:Re:Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 14:52 #673027

• Jbosh
  • Jbosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
I encountered one JIS head and learned quickly! One of those things was not like the other one haha. I have a JIS hammered impact on loan from my uncle now that will be removing the present JIS hardware for stainless steel Allen key engine bolts that just came in from eBay! If any of you guys are interested in my leftover JIS parts, pm me. I am familiar with the chisel method of slowly encouraging a stripped out head to rotate. I learned that a speed out bit does not work on those heads for some reason. As you may be wondering, yes I stripped one! But it was in bad sorts before I touched it. Unfortunately, most of them already are...
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

Kz440 Redemption 21 May 2015 16:31 #673044

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Project update:
The original (and as original as I know).

Attachment image-2.jpg not found

The left spark plug.

Attachment image-3.jpg not found

The right was noticeably less black. Too rich I think. This was before I cleaned the carbs during which I found a significant amount of items not being able to move as well on the left carb due to fuel gelling. The right, oddly was not the same case.

I'll keep gradually posting to not lose stuff in conversation and so you all don't have just one massive post!

Dom, thanks for sharing the chain conversion info! I was wondering what the replacement belt cost was... That idea is intriguing to say the least.
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 22 May 2015 17:07 #673212

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
So what does redeeming a KZ440 look like in my eyes? Well guys, I'm picturing an orange tank, blacked wheels, LED lights all around, nitrogen shocks, reverse megaphone exhaust on shorter headers, a streamlined and thin seat, and an individuality about the whole thing that sets it apart. Basically, orange, black underneath, with chrome accents.

Here is some progress. Now you can see that this is not just a mechanical fixit run. I want to make a brat/ cafe out of it. And it all started with a set of clubmans!

A general overview:

Attachment image-4.jpg not found

A clear view:

Attachment image-5.jpg not found

Quick forward mockup:

Attachment image-6.jpg not found

Parts are still coming in. I'll detail shortly what I'm thinking of putting on it.

-JT
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 23 May 2015 06:56 #673286

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
We'll, progress is being made! The weather outside here is just too good to have a motorcycle that is not on the road. So, I am trying to ramp things up now that I finally have a bike lifting stand on casters. It's so much easier now!

The frame is being cleared of everything so that it can be refinished along with the rims, front fork bases, rear swing arm, and centre stand. All of that is becoming gloss black :D. The main wire loom was successfully removed late last night after successful removal of a stripped screw holding the wires back from the drive wheel. A sharp chisel and a hit in the right direction works wonders!

So what did I do after playing with wires? I made a hoverbike!

Attachment image-7.jpg not found

I did notice last week that my left fork seal was cracked so eBay sent me a new one in the mail yesterday. I feel like I am learning so much doing this right now. I am just loving it! Putting knee wells in the tank I think put this project on the go even more because that just felt like, "yes this is happening!".
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jbosh. Reason: Typos and grammar

Kz440 Redemption 23 May 2015 07:01 #673288

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
I am posting off my phone and I have zero idea why the pics are being attached sideways! Any help is appreciated because it's right orientation until I click submit!

Kz440 Redemption 23 May 2015 22:01 #673431

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Well, the beast is disassembled right down to the engine and frame! I am not going to touch the engine mechanically for a little bit and instead cleanup the frame of the unnecessary attachments and clips, soda blast the frame and rims, and have them ready for priming. I attempted to lift the engine out of the frame tonight. I'll be calling in an extra hand! We are at the turnaround!

Kz440 Redemption 29 May 2015 09:25 #674351

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4

Attachment image-8.jpg not found

The engine is out! First one! Any tips on how to seal the openings so cleaner and junk doesn't get into the engine?

Also, any helpful pointers on soda blasting? That'll be another first. I have engine degreaser for engine prep but anything else I should do before painting her up?

Many thanks in advance
Attachments:

Kz440 Redemption 03 Jun 2015 15:59 #675149

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Pics to come but the engine is on a rolling platform for easier work in my small garage and the rims, frame, centre stand, and triple tree have been blasted and ready for primer! De-nubbed the frame yesterday! I am trying my best to get her on the road this season or atleast before the wedding.

Kz440 Redemption 12 Jun 2015 08:22 #676300

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
In the past week, there has been primer!

Attachment image-9.jpg not found

Attachments: