Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:Kz440 Redemption 26 Aug 2015 11:12 #687199

• dom2570
  • User
  • Thank you received: 27
I might need to have a look at those templates. Looking great!
Whip it like a mule!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dom2570.

Re:Kz440 Redemption 27 Aug 2015 23:16 #687433

• Jbosh
  • Jbosh's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Dom, the template has worked out fairly well although I am just entering the wiring stage. The more I reconnect, the more I am unsure if I allowed enough room for the wire to go where it need to on the bike. I'll keep feeling it out and may have an adjusted template for you to work off at some point in the near future if you are cool with it. Really, as of this evening, the wiring loom has been put back in place and the only major issue thus far is the need to extend the rear signal light wire. The wiring tray is going to be pretty full! You haven't switched out the signal lights before and by chance know which wire connects to what concerning the rear signal lights do you? I have them labelled but I have a 50-50 chance on each lol. The carb is in. The new boots required lube. The pod filters... well, they are a bit of a stretch. Literally. No dice yet.

It should be only a matter of days...
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

Re:Kz440 Redemption 28 Aug 2015 04:12 #687437

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
Jbosh,Im not having a go but it looks like one good rain storm and your electrics tray will be a swimming pool. Can you drill some drainage holes in it so the water wont collect??
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Re:Kz440 Redemption 28 Aug 2015 22:42 #687562

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Davido, you sir are on to something :whistle: . I have gasket coming to seal up the sides of the seat to the frame and tray. That said, drain holes are a wise addition! I put them in at work all the time... :blink: .

Re:Kz440 Redemption 29 Aug 2015 00:31 #687565

• davido
  • User
What about your regulator/rectifier? Are you putting that under the seat with all the electrics? From what I understand,it needs some airflow to cool it. If you put it in a sealed place you might have overheating problems.
Im not an electrician so I may be wrong but you should check it out before cutting all your wires to length.
Nice job on the hinges.
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Kz440 Redemption 30 Aug 2015 08:54 #687815

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Davido, I did take a peek atm the regulator/ rectifier and with those heat sinks on it, I'm assuming it will need airflow or access in some way to air for cooling. There is a gap at the front of the wiring tray though I recall the rectifier hanging outside the old battery harness. I wonder if it is omnidirectional and can be mounted upside down? Right in front of the batt box would be an option then.

I fit the pod filters (who was the :pinch: that designed those!!) and I can't even get them on the carb! I measured things a bit tight so the wiring tray is fairly tight up to where they will sit. But there is room... I'm debating on taking the whole carb off, and swapping the carb boot to engine screws for hex bolts so that I can get it all on as one piece verses trying to ream on the pod filters amidst the frame and tray :angry: . Yeah. My dislike for JIS and Philips heads has not changed. Some of them just seem to be in the most inconvenient places.

The big problem that I have though is the headlight. I'll post a few pics in a bit and ask for some input as I have only the two wires for the stock headlight right! Yeah the new LED assembly has 6??

I'm giving myself another month. Oh optimism. For you belt guys out there, how in the heckles do you get that disk back on the drive wheel that holds the belt on?

Kz440 Redemption 30 Aug 2015 11:42 #687860

• davido
  • User
The reg/rec on my bike was fitted upside down as standard (underneath the battery box) so you should be ok doing that. What pods have you got? round or oval? Ive seen oval K&Ns used a lot and from the measurements of my carbs , I reckon theyre the only ones that would fit.
No idea about belts.
Good luck
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Kz440 Redemption 30 Aug 2015 20:05 #687970

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
+1 on getting some airflow to your reg/c. I've recently found out that the reg/c unit gets a little spicy when there's no electrical load on it. I traced the footprint of mine onto the new tray, cut it out strategically so I could mount it upside down leaving the cooling fins exposed to outside air.
you can sorta see it there off to the left had to make some 6x1.0 bungs cause I didn't want any nuts showing underneath :dry: (bumblebee tuna?)
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jbosh

Kz440 Redemption 05 Sep 2015 07:32 #688726

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Tig, that's an awesome idea about your reg/c on an upside down mount! Hmmm. I'll look at mine later today and figure it out.

This week's discovery however was the carb pod filters. I had assumed 44mm pods fit based on a mechanic's search and prompt ordering a year ago saying, "A yeah these will fit!" They'll definitely fit on someone else's carbs! I wasn't at a stage to try until now. 44's on 55's are like a leprechaun playing basketball- a bit of a stretch! Davido, thanks for the note on oval pods earlier because I was able to trade straight across for a set with my old unused pods. I think it looks saweeet! Fuel line is going on now too. Any tips on cleaning out the petcock?

Attachment image-55.jpg not found

Attachment image-56.jpg not found

In other news, the LED setup for the idiot lights has been found! Thank you B&E Electronics! I never thought it would be so hard to find the right parts in Calgary and you suddenly walk into one store and viola! I'll share pics later about that one as I tackle it. Not done yet!

I'm calling in the reinforcements for the wiring today. Should have a better situation later.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jbosh.

Kz440 Redemption 05 Sep 2015 11:16 #688765

• dom2570
  • User
Jbosh, if you manage to get that bike running with those pods you are going to have to let me know how! My two 440s refused to run anywhere near correctly without the airbox,
Whip it like a mule!

Kz440 Redemption 06 Sep 2015 07:58 #688843

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
Dom, I will absolutely let you know how that works out. I am currently under the assumption that rejecting will have to occur as my exhaust plan is shorter than stock and I am implimenting pod filters. I highly dislike the stock airbox just for the reason it does not look clean but really hackish. I still have it though as a few have mentioned theirs running better with them. Pod filters just feel tidier and a better design? 3/8" foam and chicken wire just has less appeal yknow! Out of curiosity, do you guys have 55mm carb air inlets on your Keihins? I am almost wondering if I have non stock carbs on my bike...

Attachment image-57.jpg not found

Last night my electrical buddy lent a hand beginning to figure out the wiring. Oh my. So I have installed a new LED rear brake light on the rear hoop. We couldn't figure out how to get power to the brake light as part of it being a running light. We did get it interacting with the brake trip switch properly though. That was until I plugged in the kill switch and start module. Upon switching it to run, no more brake light. Am I missing something here?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jbosh.

Re:Kz440 Redemption 06 Sep 2015 11:37 #688880

• dom2570
  • User
Do you have the original tail light connector? I just adapted the old one with my new tail light.

Also the 440s did have 55mm carbs.
Whip it like a mule!
Attachments: