Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Jun 2016 19:23 #732331 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
Mine was grabby. I took apart the shaft, cleaned and greased it, put a little grease on the blocks where the cam spreads the shoes. Problem fixed. I lived with it too long. I changed the tire and did it at the same time. Why did I wait so long? :huh:
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2016 19:43 #732336 by Kowitz
Replied by Kowitz on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
Hmm, mine is the opposite of grabby, but I'll still give it a shot, can't hurt, right? ha

1981 KZ550c

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
21 Jun 2016 19:46 #732337 by SWest
Maybe grabby was the wrong word. The shaft would stick and the brake would drag until I took off, then it would free up. I don't know why, it's only 40 years old. :lol:
Steve

More
21 Jun 2016 20:25 #732355 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
There is also the drum to consider Kowitz.
Almost any vehicle, if you change the brake shoes (or disc pads) but don't turn the drum (or rotor) will feel somewhat "squishy" as you say. It's partly because the shoes are perfectly smooth and the drum/rotor is likely not, so the shoe rides on the top of any ridges etc, not fully engaging the surface of the drum.
Further complicated by, in your case, the potential for a little run-out as a result of the wheel bearings having gone the way of the Dodo and that oddly absent spacer. These may have caused some drum distortion. I'm hoping not but it's possible.

It's not an easy thing to true-up the drum or rotor without machine help but you may be able to inspect the drum's surface, possibly observe if the shoes are riding in the correct space and such. That your adjusters are operating as they should. It's possible to "tune" the drum surface by hand but it's long and arduous. If you see the surface is beat up or heavily grooved, it would be better to leave to a professional (like a machine shop... read why later)

The rear adjuster should need to be backed-off simply because your new shoes are thicker than the old ones. This may cause the chrome arrow/indicator to fall out of the range labelled on the hub and if so, then you would remove the arm (was pictured in one of your photos) and re-position it so it's at the beginning of travel for that indicator.

I always hand spin the wheel after brake work and operate the brake lever in question to watch how the shoes (or pads) are seating back in. The stopping action should be uniform and not on/off/on/off which indicates the drum may be warped or worn excessively.

BTW. I've had recent experience with KZombie and taking wheels, rotors, drums to local shops for "turning" only to find out that most places CANNOT (as in, they're not allowed to) work on motorcycle brakes. Or so I was told. It's a liability issue apparently, so you might have to find a machine shop or an old-school motorcycle shop if this is deemed needed. Even my local big time "motorsports" store said they cannot turn motorcycle brakes anymore (same statement: insurance issue).

More
22 Jun 2016 05:46 #732390 by toolmaker
Replied by toolmaker on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
When I worked in big shops we used the "insurance" scam when we didn't want to work on something. Chucking up a rear wheel and turning it would be a pain in the a$$.

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

More
22 Jun 2016 06:20 #732396 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
Yeah, my wife was with me that day that I tried to get all my brake rotors turned and she said the same thing - "they probably just don't want to bother with it..."
BUT
In both instances, I was dealing directly with the shift managers, not just a potentially reluctant miscreant worker bee when I went to a motorcycle powersports store and service center as well as a popular, big name, nationwide tire and brake center. It's not like these brake rotors would be any more difficult to mount than my pick up truck's. Heck they were perfectly clean already. The guy wouldn't even get his hands dirty. LOL

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Jun 2016 06:36 #732399 by SWest
No money in it for them. Get a car up on the lift and find other things to fix too. :angry:
Steve

More
22 Jun 2016 13:43 #732438 by Kowitz
Got the brake pedal mostly sorted, gonna mess with it more this evening.

Also, might be picking up another 81' KZ550 LTD, tonight. Doesn't run, but it has a few pieces on it that mine is missing, and also has a Vance and Hines 4-1. $200 for the whole bike.

1981 KZ550c

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Jun 2016 13:53 #732439 by SWest

More
22 Jun 2016 22:05 #732471 by Kowitz
Yeah, I was pretty happy when I saw that pop up on craigslist.

The Vance and Hines 4-1 is quite a bit more quiet then I was expecting! I haven't had a chance to ride it with it installed yet, but I will in the morning.

I'm expecting to want a little more noise from it, is it okay to take out the baffle, or will that lose the back pressure that I need?

1981 KZ550c

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Jun 2016 05:07 #732487 by SWest
You can get a competition baffle for it but you'll have to rejet. Without one the bike will lose top end.
Steve

More
23 Jun 2016 10:45 #732526 by Kowitz
Ah never mind, I think it sounds about perfect, and the bike is running great. Amazing what a little back pressure can do.

Now I just need to replace the fork oil, they are fairly squishy. Time to start my own project thread too after work I think.

1981 KZ550c