Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.

More
13 Jun 2016 21:29 #731301 by Kowitz
Replied by Kowitz on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationDarn, I was trying to order all from one place, but it looks like z1 enterprise only carries the EBC brake shoes, and from what Im reading, I should stick with OEM or Vesrah.

And just a quick question not related to this thread. If I were to order some generic mufflers(maybe not this exact muffler, just using as an example):

Would that be sufficient?

1981 KZ550c

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Jun 2016 21:34 #731303 by SWest

More
14 Jun 2016 05:37 #731314 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Kowitz wrote: Darn, I was trying to order all from one place, but it looks like z1 enterprise only carries the EBC brake shoes, and from what Im reading, I should stick with OEM or Vesrah.

And just a quick question not related to this thread. If I were to order some generic mufflers(maybe not this exact muffler, just using as an example):

Would that be sufficient?

To answer your question;
Yes. Those mufflers would be fine.
Kinda' cool looking too! I dunno why but they make me think of old WWII hand grenades. :laugh:
You might have to fiddle a bit to get the muffler hanger brackets to fit-up to the new mufflers. You can't really live without the muffler hanger brackets, especially since the left side has the rubber stopper for the center stand.

I just replaced all the bearings on KZombie a few weeks ago. Here's where I got them [ Wheel Bearings online ]

You should add your motorcycle to your signature so it's easier for folks here to recall what model year etc is being discussed. B)

More
14 Jun 2016 07:20 - 14 Jun 2016 07:24 #731327 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
The diagrams at Kawasaki.com or Partzilla are handy. the partzilla site is the easiest to use.
not sure from the pics, but do you have the #16 rear hub coupling sleeve? it's a spacer that fits on the sprocket coupling side of the wheel. the diagram drawing makes it look longer than it actually is. the 650-csr drawing is more accurate & the csr has the same rear wheel stuff. 42036-1036

Brake shoes. the ebc shoes may be fine, but there had been a few reports a couple of years ago from some 440 or 750-twin owners that they weren't the same size as stock & wouldn't fit. This may have been a one time type of event in which a batch of shoes were made wrong or maybe mispackaged. just guessing. ???
Last edit: 14 Jun 2016 07:24 by martin_csr.

More
14 Jun 2016 10:57 #731361 by Kowitz
I'm pretty sure it is in there. I am going to take it apart this evening after work. I couldn't find my snap ring pliers, so I will buy some new ones and take it all apart. Especially since I ordered new wheel bearings and brake shoes last night anyway.

I'll post pictures with what I find.

1981 KZ550c

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
14 Jun 2016 11:08 - 14 Jun 2016 11:15 #731363 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.

martin_csr wrote: Brake shoes. the ebc shoes may be fine, but there had been a few reports a couple of years ago from some 440 or 750-twin owners that they weren't the same size as stock & wouldn't fit. This may have been a one time type of event in which a batch of shoes were made wrong or maybe mispackaged. just guessing. ???

The EBC 550C brake shoes are a little noisy, but they fit just fine.
They quiet down after some miles.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 14 Jun 2016 11:15 by The_Proletariat.

More
14 Jun 2016 11:59 - 14 Jun 2016 12:01 #731368 by martin_csr
Thanks. I'd forgotten about ebcs being noisy. Prior to installing vesrahs & I'm not sure if it was necessary, but I sanded the leading edges of the shoes & I also did the drum. I sanded the drum to remove the glazing, doing it very evenly. and carefully to reduce the amount of dust. no brake squeal. :)

Asbestos Warning: don't breathe the brake dust.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2016 12:01 by martin_csr.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Jun 2016 12:38 #731375 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
The Z1's always had that break chirp. The trick was to cut with a hack saw a couple shallow X's in the shoes. My aftermarket ones didn't do that unless they were damp.
Steve

More
14 Jun 2016 21:11 - 14 Jun 2016 21:12 #731435 by Kowitz
Well, got the bearings out and snapped some pictures, they are pretty ugly. And I think I am missing the coupler sleeve(#9 from this diagram.)

Here are the bearings(or what is left of them anyway haha), these are the ones that were in the wheel, I didn't get a picture of the 3rd bearing that goes in the "Wheel Coupler"(#8 in the diagram) but it was in similar condition. I'm glad I ordered a wheel bearing kit.

[IMG

And here is the spacer that was in between the 2 bearings in the wheel(#15 on the diagram) its pretty rough looking too.

[IMG

While getting the bearings out of the rear wheel, I managed to gouge the inside of the wheel a bit on both sides, do you think this will be an issue?

[IMG

Those were some pretty nasty bearings, that in combination with missing that coupler sleeve, I hope solves my noise issue in the back of the bike, and I hope the new brake shoes that are also coming, stop the issue I was having with the rear brake sometimes seizing up.

1981 KZ550c
Last edit: 14 Jun 2016 21:12 by Kowitz.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Jun 2016 21:18 #731436 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Rear Brake/Hub grinding sound.
UCK. You need that spacer. The ring on the other one is to keep it centered while putting it together. You could make one if you can't find one. Just clean up the burrs and it should be fine. New brakes are always good to have.
Steve

More
14 Jun 2016 21:25 #731438 by Kowitz
Yeah, it looks like I will need to order that coupler sleeve that Im missing, and the spacer in the rear wheel, I will just clean up.

1981 KZ550c

More
15 Jun 2016 06:13 - 15 Jun 2016 06:30 #731462 by martin_csr
This is the cheapest Rr sleeve I found. ZX750 rear wheel collar/spacer/sleeve
Going by the part number at partzilla & comparing it to a nos Rr sleeve, I'm pretty sure it's the same as the 550.
Before buying any part, I would double-check the part number at Kawasaki.com.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2016 06:30 by martin_csr.