• Page:

TOPIC:

Another lost puppy followed me home last night... 15 Apr 2016 15:48 #721128

• wrenchmonkey
  • wrenchmonkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
Cut to the chase and pictures please!

Monday morning. Saw an advert on that List von Craig's.... Emails, lead to texts, lead to drive time to Houston.

24 hours ago:

Yes, that beast was loaded into my truck using the same heinous ramp that I "gracefully dismounted" onto my still-sore arse just two weeks ago when I was loading KZombie into it.

Today:

1982 Kawasaki CSR 1000 at home.

It is a mostly complete and mostly unmolested example with acceptable mileage on the clock:

The previous owner had already started to work it over and had purchased many new parts that were included in the sale or already on the bike. New headlamp assembly with LED lights integrated (I guess?), new signal lights, new battery, new mirrors, new handlebar etc..

The carbs were already dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt with new parts and gaskets. The valves were already checked and adjusted and the compression readings were all 120's apparently. So it's looking pretty healthy. All the original wiring is still in place. It is missing the original rear fender and grab rail though but this is because the previous owner (totally rock solid bike guy) had visions of putting an older and original duck tail fender on it along with a tail light. I plan to put the bike back to stock though... Not sure what to do with the original duck tail that appears to be from a 900 or 1000? I tried hanging it on KZombie, seen in the background here:

But KZombie's original tail is in excellent shape and possibly the only part of it that was still in excellent shape so... We'll see. KZombie is taking a lot longer to put back together again (maybe I should have called it "Humpty Dumpty" instead? :laugh: ). I may very well have this 1k back on the road before it.
Oh and the fuel tank on the 1000 is like...perfect. Really. Nary a scratch and no dents. It's worse sin is some kinda over-spray on it from sitting in the shed where it had been for almost 20 years when the PO I bought it from found it.

Fingers crossed... ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another lost puppy followed me home last night... 15 Apr 2016 16:35 #721133

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Nice score!
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Another lost puppy followed me home last night... 15 Apr 2016 19:56 #721161

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
Thank you. I am really quite excited about it. I honestly feel like it would only need hours to get it running again. Compared to KZombie's time-sink looking like months.
But I do want to put this 1k back to as stock as I can and so even if I get it running / road worthy, It's going to need stock parts and repainted.

I do have a question though: What is the difference between the LTD and CSR? They look the same outwardly, at least from 5 feet away.
Did the CSR ever come with mag wheels too. This one has spokes which I wasn't a big fan of but I have to admit, they're growing on me the more I look at it. Kinda' more old's cool vibe and they clean-up nice but man oh man there's a lot of spokes there. :blink:

Another lost puppy followed me home last night... 15 Apr 2016 20:17 #721162

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
I had Lesters before the wreck. I have spokes now. I miss them but Bossie has more of that Z1 flavor. B)
Steve

Another lost puppy followed me home last night... 16 Apr 2016 05:21 #721179

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 294
So, how good a deal was this (to make you drive to Houston)?
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Another lost puppy followed me home last night... 16 Apr 2016 05:44 #721180

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
The differences between CSR & LTD, aside from the wheels, the gauges are mechanical on the CSR and electrical on the LTD., the rest is pretty much the same.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wrenchmonkey

Another lost puppy followed me home last night... 16 Apr 2016 07:14 #721189

• wrenchmonkey
  • User

Mcdroid wrote: So, how good a deal was this (to make you drive to Houston)?

Yeah, it was a 2.75 hour trip one way to get to it and the advert did say "Not Running", so my wife thought I was crazy but once I saw it and met the seller in person, I knew this was a good deal. Ultimately, it cost me more than a pack of cigarettes but less than the pair of tires, chain and sprocket set for [ KZombie B) ] .

Another lost puppy followed me home last night... 21 Apr 2016 07:51 #722180

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46
Haha!
I'm on the same boat... juggling two projects with no end in site!
Not done with project #1 (apartment KZ), I decided it would be a good idea to embark into another project (Rebel 450) for the reason that it would be an easy project, and I would have something to ride on while I finish my cop-bike...
Motorcycles are a sickness!!! :lol:
This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wrenchmonkey

Another lost puppy followed me home last night... 21 Apr 2016 08:53 #722193

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
:laugh:
So true!
My problem is I can't seem to begin dismantle of the 1000 while i'm in a holding pattern on the KZombie. Seems my brain is FIFO and since i started on the 650... :blush:

• Page: