Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Which one do you prefer? 28 Aug 2012 00:45 #545222

• NakedFun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
Les, I haven't checked them yet, but it would appear that they are 10mm x 1.25 pitch. FASTENAL carries a selection of sizes, shapes, and materials in that pitch. They have been a god send for my builds and pricing is great, especially if you get signed up with an account. Will provide a more detailed report to you soon.

One other thing, how hard would it be to knurl those pegs? I am thinking they might need more grip as you pivoting on and off the levers. Just a thought. Maybe simply cutting the grooves deeper and leaving the sharp edge (not a razor but not a radius either....)

Cory
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Which one do you prefer? 28 Aug 2012 00:59 #545225

• NakedFun
  • User
Had to order a '11 ZX14 master assembly off EBay as my ZRX parts didn't fit.... Oh well! Time to sell some stuff!

Cory
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Which one do you prefer? 28 Aug 2012 06:50 #545243

• les holt
  • les holt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
10X1.25 is what they are, I've found them but I'm not paying $11 and change a piece. I'll check fastenal to see what they have.
I knurled my first set and it was a bear to keep clean, can offer it as an option though.

Les

Which one do you prefer? 28 Aug 2012 10:30 #545260

• NakedFun
  • User
Les,

I took a WAG at the length (50MM) and here would be an option:

www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0142074

Retail price of about a $1.13 ea. Dealer price is much less than that. Nice thing is you can have it shipped to your door. Not saying you should go this route, but I may have to anyway. Like we talked about with the brake switch, as long as you can provide the customers with an answer, that is all that really may need to be done.

Cory
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Which one do you prefer? 28 Aug 2012 11:40 #545271

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
I dont have Less's set yet, but i think u r onto something hear Cory.
i had to cut the stock footpeg bolts, have them shortened and rewelded , for my current set up.
if the rears could be made to accept an over the counter bolt, that would be a big plus.

Less could we discuss this before u ship mine? if there already made, maybe u could make the spacer sleeve with a step down to fit into the arm holes, and a smaller hole????

Cory, due to my 5/8 offset, i had to grind off the boss for the lower footpeg bolt, on the inside of the frame. so u will not be using a lock nut on there, for clearance reasons.

Cory, the knurl does help with grip, but 1 area that it doesnot work is on the shifter toe peg. for a street ride, this will chew up your shoes leather surface.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Last edit: by mark1122.

Which one do you prefer? 28 Aug 2012 13:03 #545281

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
just a thought. Have u thought about cutting out the centres? it does look pretty cool.

Attachment 1345_0.jpg not found

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:

Which one do you prefer? 28 Aug 2012 17:00 #545320

• les holt
  • Vendor
I can make to suit just about any concept, This is just in the design and testing stages, I also run the bolts and was going to make a set with different size bushing and bracket holes to take a bolt, guess I can make that an option as well.
Mark, yours shipped yesterday, sorry. I may be able to work a deal with you on 2nd generation setup, You'll just need the 2 mounts to take bolts instead of studs.
I primarily design my stuff to fit with zero mods to the chassis but that doesn't mean we have to stick with what they gave you to work with! I'm trying to cater to the individuals that don't have the means to mod things as some of us do, all they need is the desire to and they can have that custom bike they wanted.
Centers can be cut out as well, My concern was with the torsional twisting on the brake in an emergency situation. Maybe not an issue but did give it a lot of thought.

Les

Last edit: by les holt.

Which one do you prefer? 28 Aug 2012 17:55 #545333

• NakedFun
  • User
Les,

I can appreciate your thoughts on the torsionals as it is better to be safe then sorry! Then again if you hit the rear brake hard enough to snap the lever, the rear tire is skidding and not doing you any good.

As for the bolts, I am sourcing some bolts and aluminum tubing to act as a sleeve to adapt this current gen to bolts. I'll be happy to send Mark a set as well to try so that he can continue with his evaluation.

Cory
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Which one do you prefer? 29 Aug 2012 00:50 #545406

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
i can hear u on the brake pedal . i have seen enough of them cut out that i assumed its not an issue??
it certainly wouldnt be on a sport bike, but maybe on a heavy cruiser.
Corry that would be cool, i'll let u know if i need something made up. at the moment i'm thinking of using my current brackets, as spacers, behind the new ones. i may need to find some stock footpeg bolts, which r longer than my modded bolts, or get u to make me sleeves ?

Less let me know what u can do when u get to the second gen stuff.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Which one do you prefer? 29 Aug 2012 16:05 #545492

• NakedFun
  • User
Les,

Been sitting here playing with these rear sets at work. Two things:

1. I now second Mark's comment on skeletonize the pockets. Would just look trick and you could thicken the remaining webs if you wanted.

2. Thinking that instead of knurling, may either use O Rings or slices of rubber tubing and drop them into the grooves on your pegs for additional grip. Concerned about wet soles of my riding boots.

Just a couple quick thoughts.

Love these things so far....

Cory
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Which one do you prefer? 29 Aug 2012 16:44 #545496

• les holt
  • Vendor
Hadn't considered o-rings and not a bad idea at all. I've got some first run pieces that I did skeletonize, I'll throw them in the press and see how much they can take. I just really don't want someone getting hurt on my conscience just to make something more appealing.

Thanks for the input Cory, exactly what I was after!

Les

Which one do you prefer? 29 Aug 2012 16:56 #545502

• ramtough_63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132

les holt wrote: Hadn't considered o-rings and not a bad idea at all. I've got some first run pieces that I did skeletonize, I'll throw them in the press and see how much they can take. I just really don't want someone getting hurt on my conscience just to make something more appealing.

Thanks for the input Cory, exactly what I was after!

Les

Thats the main reason I'm Parting the GPZ out someone did a shoddy job of melding the 2 frames and I couldnt in good concience sell it as a rider. (& dont like it well enough to fix it)
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...