new gullwing triples...for modern fork conversion

More
27 Aug 2010 14:28 #394336 by irishwill
the center to center measurement is 206mm....so if that is the same as your fork set up and the dia's are also the same ...your in business! ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
27 Aug 2010 17:09 - 27 Aug 2010 17:18 #394366 by mark1122
Ben, here is a chart i came across. it may be helpful for u to answer some questions to potential buyers. :)
i dont know why is so much smaller than the original i just copied it? hear is a link to a better copy.if u click on the image from that post, it will be very legible.

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...mit=20&limitstart=20

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Aug 2010 17:18 by mark1122.

More
27 Aug 2010 18:59 #394408 by PLUMMEN
79MKII wrote:

Like you mentioned, if you buy a front end from an 03-07 GSXR 1000, everything will bolt right up - front wheel, axle, spacers, fender, etc... Just put KZ bearings on the new triple tree and bolt them to your frame. Then bolt on the new front end and you're ready to go! That is well worth $600 plus you get awesome looking billet pieces to show off. If you also have it so the stock gauges and headlight will work - that is heaven!

After recently completing a custom rebuild on my MKII I can tell you for sure that customizing parts can get real tricky - and expensive. If you can avoid having to custom fit all those front end components it would be sooo much easier. Once you change one part, it leads to another necessary change, and then another, and so on. It get's crazy, as you know!

Our biggest problem will be the sudden demand on eBay for late GSXR front ends! :laugh:

i can see a lot of gsxrs sitting on blocks when the owners come out with their suspension missing! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 Aug 2010 19:30 #394422 by irishwill
thanks for the chart mark...that should help out alot of people....and I guess the center to center distance is 207 not 206mm like I previously stated

More
29 Aug 2010 18:42 #394868 by irishwill
well we had company here this weekend...the timebomber dropped by and took home the gpz 1100....

his friend Paul dropped over as well....and to make a long story short there will be two mono shocked hot rod z1's within 10 miles of each other... the cool factor just got cut in half!!!:angry:

just shittin...it will be cool to have another kaw around to go ride with....I sold him the 4th set of triples so that leaves 2.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
30 Aug 2010 00:39 #394940 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic new gullwing triples...for modern fork conversion
I don't recall if you ever mentioned Ben, but were you able to get a discount on the material in bulk? That's fantastic you've gotten such a positive response on your first batch! You'll be out before you know it ;)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
30 Aug 2010 07:33 #394983 by irishwill
porchev914 wrote:

I don't recall if you ever mentioned Ben, but were you able to get a discount on the material in bulk? That's fantastic you've gotten such a positive response on your first batch! You'll be out before you know it ;)

it should be cheaper ....I can get a 12' length and its being ordered through the shop...not exactly sure how much yet...
bottom line is unless there was alot being made the machine time is what costs....I have to pay for the machine by the hour....weather its set up or actual machineing....
it costs me 550 for a set with stem and headlight bracket....

I make way more as a pipefitterB)
but if I can make a few parts and make a penny or two I'm happy tp do it....if not....its all good....I need two like I said...and if I ended up with an extra set .....it wouldnt be the worst thing

Im sure you know exactly what I mean with your carbon fibre projects....if you were doing it for money youd be broke!

having said that...I want a set of that body work...and Ill pay whatever it costs B)

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
30 Aug 2010 09:33 #395007 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic new gullwing triples...for modern fork conversion
It's EXACTLY the same thing with the carbon body work. The materials aren't too cheap, but are negligable compared to the cost in time to prep the parts and make the molds, then the time to actually make the carbon fiber parts is time consuming. It doesn't help that I'm still learning and making some mistakes, but thats life ;) Yeah, if I was doing it to feed my girls, they'd go hungry quick! I may be molding a Z1/900 tail instead of the Kz1000 tail.....You're on the list ;)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
30 Aug 2010 12:17 #395040 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic new gullwing triples...for modern fork conversion
it was a productive weekend for me picked up my new bike (that's 14 now i think) could have sold it about 15 mins after i left ben's house. but i didn't got another guy into a really cool ride ben's doing the chassis work and i'm building the motor which is what i like to do anyway and we are putting another one of these old girls back on the road again but only bigger and badder then ever. and i finally realized my future ex is really my ex again she's freakin crazy. by the way have i mentioned that ben does incredable work. because he does.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
20 Sep 2010 09:02 #400295 by irishwill
thanks bud