Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 05:39 #898940

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • Rolf1976_KZ900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 147
Now that the bike has been running fine for a while it suddenly yesterday evening started to backfire badly and also jerk and misfire when riding.
I have been trying to finetune the mixturescrews lately and it was running great the last days.I stopped and tried to turn all 4 mixturescrevs about 3minutes out to get it more rich so maybe things got better. It did but just for a short time. Today i vent for another ride and it started jerking misfiring and backfire again.  The bike was acting like this last september when one coil melted.
Things that i can suspect is that i vent to a washing place at a gas station and washed the bike yesterday.i was careful not using the steam washer
directly on the engine but i did hit the clocks and gastank and also steamed under the engine a little..The strange thing is that the bike started to act a little strange before i vent to the washing place ,but not as bad as after washing.
Today i went for another ride and it was the same it was terrible to ride.Then i checked the coils voltage and they are in spec.Then used dielectrick grease on all connections on coils and plugcaps.Took another ride and it was maybe a little better but not good. Can this be that the ignition switch has got wet ??   or maybe one of the dyna-s picup coils is bad?.
I have a boyer bransden ignition kit with coils that i was planning to install,but i dont understand the instructions i have read the manual many times but just dont get it .how to set the advance mark on the plate at bottom dead center 40 degree to the left and  place the magnets on the rotor in centre with the cylinders ??? .When it comes to electrical stuff im lost .I cant find any good instruction videos or picks on how to install the boyer bransden.I fond one vid on youtube of a guy installing it on a kz1000 but that was not helpful at all.
But what can this be???? if i keep riding like this maybe i melt a coil again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 05:47 #898942

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2064
How old are your plug leads, many years ago I had a KH400 that "ran like s^*t" on wet days (plug leads were arcing out)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rolf1976_KZ900

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 05:55 #898944

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
They are new .bought new coils from z1 enterprise  they are marked emgo.The plugwires are a little long and is not tidy placed so they are in contact with eachother  and laying on the valvecover
By the way... When riding today i saw that it was moisture inside the instrument bulbs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by Rolf1976_KZ900.

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 06:14 #898946

• Wookie58
Something like this might be helpful

Attachments:

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 06:31 #898947

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
Thanks Wookie i saw those some years ago but dont remember why =). So it is then not good for the plugwires to make contact ?

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 06:35 #898949

• Wookie58

Thanks Wookie i saw those some years ago but dont remember why =). So it is then not good for the plugwires to make contact ?
Better if they don't (especially if there is moisture)

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 06:44 #898951

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
This winter i bought 4 clamps at z power that is suposed to sit on the valvecover and hold the plugwires.I forgot to install them maybe that will help.
I also forgot to install them again last week when checking the valveclearances
Attachments:

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 06:48 #898952

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2689
Look for green stuff at the spark plug caps. Cut 1/4" off and screw them back on. When dry they don't pose much of a problem but when wet,

Last edit: by SWest.

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 06:51 #898953

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User

Look for green stuff at the spark plug caps. Cut 1/4" off and screw them back on. When dry they don't pose much of a problem but when wet,

I did today also cut off a little on one of the wires the caps are new. back in september i found some green stuff on the multi connectors coming from headlight and ignition.I then used some wetsand paper and cleaned them up and used a little wd 40 inside the connectors

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 08:31 #898957

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2689
The soot may have been a symptom of the up coming events. As for the fuel mixture screws you may have them out too far. I'd adjust for best idle, ride it then check the plugs. Also if the caps are resister type you shouldn't use resister plugs. 

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 13 May 2024 09:24 #898960

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 381
pull your plugs and check the color.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Very frustrated now bike runs bad again 15 May 2024 01:28 #899077

• Rolf1976_KZ900
  • User
The last weeks i have been riding and pulled the plugs very many times to dial in the mixture screws.I was finished with that about a week ago and the bike ran greatfor about 1 week.Then suddenly it ran like crap again and sotted the plugs badly.

Anyway here is an update:
.Yesterday morning i was riding again first i took off the cover for instrumentbulbs and sprayed wd-40 inside on connectors for the bulbs and on the ignition switch
also sprayed wd 40 inside the handlebar electrical instruments kill switch ets. I was on my way to an apointment. The bike ran bad and was missfiring jerking
backfiring low on power running on 3 cyls sometimes and i had to use lots of choke to keep it going.That is exactly how it was to ride when i found that one coil had melted and had bubbles on underside in august/september last year. I then remember that a few days ago i heard a sound coming from the under gastank area when i turned on the ignition it is not possible to explain the sound but is was strange and lasted about 1 second.When i got back home i desided that i will try to install the boyer ignition because i think that one coil or the dyna s is broken.I dont understand the instructions but just had to try and see if the bike runs better.