Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 08:16 #794948

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19

loudhvx wrote: Ok, I see now, you just posted the photo from the OregonMotorcycleParts.com website. I was wondering why the ground wires looked greenish. It's for Honda which often uses green as ground.

This is the EXACT one he sent me. I hope its correct. He assured me it was:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 08:20 #794949

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The voltages I was suggesting checking are on the REGULATOR, not rectifier. That's the other box with 3 wires.

Yes, that rectifier looks to be the right one. It's probably the same rectifier as the Honda one, just with different wire colors for uniformity with the rest of the KZ650 harness.

Note the stand-alone green wire on the plug. That will go to the new regulator as the field-coil control wire. The separate regulator appears to have blade terminals, so you will have to splice a section of green wire to mate up the two.

And I see the new regulator comes with an adjustment pot... nice. Hopefully that will let you tweak the voltage down in case you still have some other dirty connections.

On the current situation... The power source for the ignition is the same source for the regulator, so I don't think the new fuse -box install would the issue.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

1977 KZ650 Rectifier / Charging Issue - combined post *UPDATE with QUESTIONS* 11 Dec 2018 08:34 #794950

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It would be convenient if we could confine all of the discussion on your charging issue to one thread instead of the current 3 or 4 threads. Maybe if we're really nice to Steve he can append them together here.

These are the four other threads in the order they appeared. I think appending them won't be too confusing because usually one was slowing down before the next one appeared.

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/609693-kz650-problem-today

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/60971...e-reg-rec-on-a-kz650

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/60972...ng-issues-1977-kz650

www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/60973...-rectifier-like-this
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Last edit: by loudhvx.

KZ650 Problem today 11 Dec 2018 09:07 #794952

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
The charging system wiring is extremely simple. It shouldn't take much work to replace everything with nice fresh wires and connectors.

Regarding the bike in general, since you are getting high voltage on occasion that suggests the problem is most likely the wiring or the regulator. The rectifiers job is to convert AC output to DC and thus it won't cause the voltage variation being experienced. And speaking the regulator, the Kawasaki service manual has a long section detailing how to troubleshoot regulator problems, as well as instructions on cleaning the contacts and setting the gap. It's an electromechanical device and needs occasional maintenance.

Keeping all responses in this thread is better than fragmenting the discussion with 3-4 threads about the same basic problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, SWest, Scirocco

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 09:47 #794953

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

loudhvx wrote: The voltages I was suggesting checking are on the REGULATOR, not rectifier. That's the other box with 3 wires.

Yes, that rectifier looks to be the right one. It's probably the same rectifier as the Honda one, just with different wire colors for uniformity with the rest of the KZ650 harness.

Note the stand-alone green wire on the plug. That will go to the new regulator as the field-coil control wire. The separate regulator appears to have blade terminals, so you will have to splice a section of green wire to mate up the two.

And I see the new regulator comes with an adjustment pot... nice. Hopefully that will let you tweak the voltage down in case you still have some other dirty connections.

On the current situation... The power source for the ignition is the same source for the regulator, so I don't think the new fuse -box install would the issue.

I got it!

Just had a go at the bike. I checked all the connections and made sure they are tight.

Then I did as you suggest and checked the voltage at the REGULATOR ONLY. It was 9.5v and not anywhere near the battery voltage of 12.5v.

I started the bike and AT IDLE it was at 14.8v. At 2k RPM the voltage went up to 15.8v . At 5,000 rpm the voltage was at 13v.
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 09:55 #794954

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678

650Dude wrote:
I started the bike and AT IDLE it was at 14.8v. At 2k RPM the voltage went up to 15.8v . At 5,000 rpm the voltage was at 13v.

Not good.

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 10:03 #794955

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

Nessism wrote:

650Dude wrote:

Not good.

Yeah I know lol. Hence my questions in this post. Im sure its the reg or rec. Care to guess which?
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 12:42 #794958

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

650Dude wrote:
Yeah I know lol. Hence my questions in this post. Im sure its the reg or rec. Care to guess which?

From the beginnig,
Your generator made a voltage up to 80 Volts AC without any rectifier and regulator to the battery, (battery need 12,5 - 13,8 Volts DC ) = BAD
Your generator made a voltage up to 80 Volts DC with rectifier only to the battery, (battery need12,5 - 13,8 Volts DC ) = BAD
You get only 12,5 - 13,8 Volts DC at any rpm with a rectifier and a good working regulator.

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 13:31 #794961

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

Scirocco wrote:

650Dude wrote:

From the beginnig,
Your generator made a voltage up to 80 Volts AC without any rectifier and regulator to the battery, (battery need 12,5 - 13,8 Volts DC ) = BAD
Your generator made a voltage up to 80 Volts DC with rectifier only to the battery, (battery need12,5 - 13,8 Volts DC ) = BAD
You get only 12,5 - 13,8 Volts DC at any rpm with a rectifier and a good working regulator.

I see. Thats the LONG way of saying you think its the voltage regulator.
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Last edit: by 650Dude.

1977 KZ650 Rectifier / Charging Issue - combined post *UPDATE with QUESTIONS* 11 Dec 2018 13:48 #794963

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I'll see what I can do.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, Nessism

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 13:53 #794964

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Whats your problem.
I give you some technical advice to understand your electric charging system and how your divices work and you act like a mimosa.

Nessim wrote:
Keeping all responses in this thread is better than fragmenting the discussion with 3-4 threads about the same basic problem.

Now call me stupid.................

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Has anyone ever seen a RECTIFIER like this: 11 Dec 2018 13:57 #794965

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

Scirocco wrote: Whats your problem.
I give you some technical advice to understand your electric charging system and how your divices work and you act like a mimosa.

Nessim wrote:

Now call me stupid.................

I didnt at first understand what you wrote. Working from that limited understanding, I then wrote an acerbic response. THEN I Re-READ what you wrote and realized you were trying to give me a FULL view of the dynamic, which I appreciate. Thereafter I edited my response.

I *DO* appreciate your help. Thanks!
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Last edit: by 650Dude.