2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!! RESOLVED :)

More
15 Sep 2011 01:10 #476945 by MFolks
The advancer needs periodic maintenance, nothing more than checking if it snaps back when twisted(engine off) and some light lubrication on the weights,spring mounting places, and the tube it rotates/moves on. Sewing machine or 3-in-one oil is what I use on my bike.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
15 Sep 2011 01:12 #476946 by clutch

MFolks wrote: Sewing machine or 3-in-one oil is what I use on my bike.

How about the oil that is used on hair clippers? Seems like that might do the trick, and I have some handy :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
15 Sep 2011 01:16 #476949 by MFolks
Pick up coils generally don't require much adjustment, If uncertain how it re-assembles, make note/mark around how it's mounted on the plate. Now, the advancer can be re-installed 180 degree out. To verify, try to start the engine, if no luck, take the advancer off and move it 180 & re-install & try again to start.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
The following user(s) said Thank You: clutch

More
15 Sep 2011 01:18 #476950 by MFolks
Hair clipper(maybe Wahl?) will work, but I'm not sure how it will hold up to the engine speed and fly off.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
15 Sep 2011 01:39 #476953 by MFolks
usually if a pick up coil goes bad, the ignition coil it goes to will not spark the plugs as the coil fires 2 plugs at the same time. I'm thinking maybe a sparkplug wire is bad/sparkplug cap is bad or possibly a loose connection at the ignition coil.

To tell if your ignition coil has removable sparkplug wires, see if the caps/covers have ridges on them. If not, your sparkplug wires may be molded to the coils as Kawasaki seemed to have no rhyme or reason for doing it this way.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2011 02:04 - 15 Sep 2011 02:19 #476958 by clutch

MFolks wrote: usually if a pick up coil goes bad, the ignition coil it goes to will not spark the plugs as the coil fires 2 plugs at the same time. I'm thinking maybe a sparkplug wire is bad/sparkplug cap is bad or possibly a loose connection at the ignition coil.

To tell if your ignition coil has removable sparkplug wires, see if the caps/covers have ridges on them. If not, your sparkplug wires may be molded to the coils as Kawasaki seemed to have no rhyme or reason for doing it this way.

I have brand new plugs, wires and coils (EDIT: and i had the same issue with the old plugs, wires and coils). I just swapped out the busted advancer with the "good one" (maybe) from my parts engine. I decided that I would tick off the neighbors and go for a quick ride down the street. The bike sounds worse to me, but maybe the springs on that other advancer are played out a bit. I took a video to hopefully help diagnose...will post that in a few

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 02:19 by clutch. Reason: shown in post

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2011 02:12 #476963 by clutch
I took this video after swapping out the advancers. The bike seems to still have the same issue. I can get it to start and idle fairly smoothly, but it still reads half the rpm (and i checked the settings on the computer). Also, battery is good voltage, and I blip the throttle a couple times so you can hear what I'm hearing...a slight hanging idle (could be idle speed too high?), a slight hiccup (kind coughs back through carbs)...sounds kind of like a lawnmower to me...

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2011 15:33 - 15 Sep 2011 15:34 #477062 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
Ok guys, here is what I did today. I moved the tach wire to the 1/4 coil, and it read the proper rpm reading. So, knowing that the computer is working properly, I switched the plug wires and coil wires to ensure the problem was not the plugs, coils or wires. It's not! Somewhere in the system for the 2/3 coil, there is an electrical problem causing the 2/3 coil to fire only half the time. What would cause this? What should I check now? I've searched the internet for this issue and came up with exactly nothing!!!! :(

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 15:34 by clutch. Reason: changed topic name!

More
15 Sep 2011 16:27 - 15 Sep 2011 16:27 #477077 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
If not already done, would check for and assure good connections where the signal/trigger wires from the pickups (1) go into and out of the multiple connector between the pickups and igniter, and (2) go into and out of the multiple connector between the igniter and Dyna coils. See illustration below.

Also, if not already done, would assure the coils' primary terminal screws aren't shorting against the coil mounting spacer or elsewhere, as the screw heads are a very close fit with certain Dyna coils.

Am presupposing the new Dyna ignition coils are the correct resistance for using with the stock Kawasaki igniter style ignition system.

Good Fortune! :)

Attachment igniterwiringconnectorsred.jpg not found

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 16:27 by Patton.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2011 16:37 #477085 by clutch

Patton wrote: If not already done, would check for and assure good connections where the signal/trigger wires from the pickups (1) go into and out of the multiple connector between the pickups and igniter, and (2) go into and out of the multiple connector between the igniter and Dyna coils. See illustration below.

Also, if not already done, would assure the coils' primary terminal screws aren't shorting against the coil mounting spacer or elsewhere, as the screw heads are a very close fit with certain Dyna coils.

Am presupposing the new Dyna ignition coils are the correct resistance for using with the stock Kawasaki igniter style ignition system.

Attachment igniterwiringconnectorsred.jpg not found

Sounds like a good place to start after eliminating the other choices. I'm pretty sure the terminal screws aren't grounding, but I will double check to be certain. And I am running the green 3-ohm coils...please don't tell me I got the wrong ones.... :blink:

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2011 16:52 #477086 by clutch
Everything looks ok on those connections, and the coil terminal screws aren't touching any metal. MFolks had mentioned a resistance/ohm test for the IC igniter. I don't have those listed in my repair manual, so maybe that would be a good thing to check next if someone has the test and specs they could post for me?

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
15 Sep 2011 18:00 - 15 Sep 2011 18:06 #477095 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
Could be mistaken, but thinking the stock '82 KZ750-E ignition coils are 1.8~2.8Ω, which seems close enough compared to the 3Ω green Dyna coils.

Might find testing procedures (including a resistance/ohm test) for the IC igniter in the manual available through the following link:

kz.bike-night.com/
To access the manual download, scroll down to and click on The Bible.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 18:06 by Patton.