2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!! RESOLVED :)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Sep 2011 14:53 #479190 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!

clutch wrote: So I jumped both coil 12v feeds as well as the one for the Dyna-S (just to be certain), and I still have the same result! Coil 2/3 fires 1/2 the time, as shown by an idle rpm of 500-700 on my tach (it works correctly on the 1/4 coil). So tomorrow, I will ohm check the coil, and the wires, and if anyone has a check for the dyna-s I will run that too (may have gotten a bad one). Anything else I should check?

Glad to here it is running right. Your post before where you state one coil the tach was correct and the other 1/2 made me go down a rambling path :whistle:
but now I see the part where you have the Aftermarket Electric Tach which was adjustable. I still wonder about why it would work on one coil and 1/2 on the other. The dwell could be uneven I suppose and the tach is showing that, but that is purely a guess.
Ride it and ride it some more!!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
24 Sep 2011 15:34 #479200 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
The tach was actually reading half on both. I noticed that when I swapped the wires around. All is well though...just need to get going on rewiring it all so I get full power to the dyna and coils :)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
24 Sep 2011 23:36 #479325 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
Excellent!

Hopefully you got some miles in this evening. It feels perfect out. (I'm in DC right now... my girlfriend and I just hopped the fence to break out of the National Zoo! It closed up while we were in there. )

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
25 Sep 2011 02:52 #479355 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!

loudhvx wrote: Excellent!

Hopefully you got some miles in this evening. It feels perfect out.

No, unfortunately I had to work. It stopped raining just long enough for me to hop on and run down the street to run through the gears. It cleared up when I was at work, and I would have gotten wet on the way home....raingear is nice, but I'd rather not ride in the rain if I don't have to. Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be ok I think.

loudhvx wrote: (I'm in DC right now... my girlfriend and I just hopped the fence to break out of the National Zoo! It closed up while we were in there. )

I KNEW the monkeys could get out of that enclosure!!! :woohoo:

LOL. J/k. The zoo closes WAY earlier than you would expect...kind of a bummer if you don't make it there until later in the day.

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
25 Sep 2011 12:15 #479413 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
It was a blast. The buildings close early, but the outdoor areas stay open til 8pm, long after dark, up til October, I think. We arrived after dark to get some night photos of the Maned Wolves. Then a group of people, who were camping at the zoo, came by, and we melted into their group. We were then locked in.

The weather is so much better than Chicago, wish we could have stayed longer.