2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!! RESOLVED :)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
15 Sep 2011 18:33 #477098 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
Ok...so I THINK it's the IC igniter, but I'm not 100% sure I did the tests right. My meter range is 200, 2k, 20k, 200k, and 2m, but the test calls for setting it to 1k or 100. So...if for the 100, I set it to 200, and the 1k I set it to 2k, would that be correct? If not, how do I do the tests properly?

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2011 19:13 #477102 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
The IC Igniter is supposed to be properly grounded.

If not already done, would check for a good black/yellow wire connection.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2011 19:28 #477110 by clutch
The only way I could think to check that was red post to pos battery terminal and black probe to black/yellow wire...nice strong 12.43 v dc reading.

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Sep 2011 20:30 #477123 by clutch
I think at this point, I may just end up getting a dyna-s system. I understand that it replaces both the pu coils AND the ic igniter. Would kill 2 birds with one part, and save a load of money if the problem is the ic igniter. What do you guys think?

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 02:51 #477590 by clutch
So now, thinking that it may be the igniter, I am considering giving the LouDVHX igniter option a try before switching to the dyna-s. I'm concerned that the dyna system will draw too much power from my battery for my charging system to handle (which seems to be a common problem among those with the dyna from my forum reading).

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
18 Sep 2011 03:56 - 18 Sep 2011 04:00 #477594 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
On a 4 cylinder, you can use the swapping method to identify exactly what part is bad.

I see you swapped the plug wires and the coil wires. So did the problem stay with the green coil wire? Or did it move to the black coil wire?

(I assume you are using the tach to determine which coil wire (green or black) is firing intermittently.)

If it is always the green coil wire, then it's the green 2/3 circuit in the igniter, or it's the yellow/red pickup.

To determine which, you would have to make some jumpers and jumper the pickup wires to the igniter.
Black pickup wire jumps to yellow igniter wire, and yellow pickup wire jumps to black igniter wire.
Blue pickup wire jumps to red igniter wire, and red pickup wire jumps to blue igniter wire.
Then, you have to pull off the timing plate, and remove the timing rotor. You do this by advancing it, then pulling it off (after you remove the small bolt holding it on). Don't try to turn the big nut. It's actually not a nut, but is just keyed to the advancer hub to turn the crank. Be careful with the bolts on the advancer, they have a history of getting messed up.
Re-install the advancer pointer 180 degrees out from where it started. (Normally, originally, the pointer pointed toward the "TEC" logo.) You do this by holding the advancer arms open, then slide the pointer sleeve over the advancer hub. (Just the opposite of what you did to remove it.) (Hope you have 3 hands. :) )

Now, if the problem of the flakey tach stays on the green coil wire, it is the igniter that is bad.
If it is on the black coil wire, the problem is the red/yellow pickup.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2011 04:00 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: clutch

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 04:12 #477596 by clutch

loudhvx wrote: On a 4 cylinder, you can use the swapping method to identify exactly what part is bad.

I see you swapped the plug wires and the coil wires. So did the problem stay with the green coil wire? Or did it move to the black coil wire?

(I assume you are using the tach to determine which coil wire (green or black) is firing intermittently.)

If it is always the green coil wire, then it's the green 2/3 circuit in the igniter, or it's the yellow/red pickup.

To determine which, you would have to make some jumpers and jumper the pickup wires to the igniter.
Black pickup wire jumps to yellow igniter wire, and yellow pickup wire jumps to black igniter wire.
Blue pickup wire jumps to red igniter wire, and red pickup wire jumps to blue igniter wire.
Then, you have to pull off the timing plate, and remove the timing rotor. You do this by advancing it, then pulling it off (after you remove the small bolt holding it on). Don't try to turn the big nut. It's actually not a nut, but is just keyed to the advancer hub to turn the crank. Be careful with the bolts on the advancer, they have a history of getting messed up.
Re-install the advancer pointer 180 degrees out from where it started. (Normally, originally, the pointer pointed toward the "TEC" logo.) You do this by holding the advancer arms open, then slide the pointer sleeve over the advancer hub. (Just the opposite of what you did to remove it.) (Hope you have 3 hands. :) )

Now, if the problem of the flakey tach stays on the green coil wire, it is the igniter that is bad.
If it is on the black coil wire, the problem is the red/yellow pickup.

Yes, the problem stayed with the green wire, not with the coil. I will try the swap/jumper method tomorrow to get the answer to whether it's the igniter or the pick up circuit. Many kudos to whomever thought this troubleshooting test up!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 16:14 #477671 by clutch
Definitely a bad IC Igniter. Now to decide whether to use the Loudhvx mod or swap to the Dyna-s system. Thank you to all that posted replies and helpful advice.

~Clutch

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
18 Sep 2011 16:33 #477676 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
I believe you can build the Loudhvx IC Igniter replacement for under $60. The resistors can be bought at Radio Shack Stores or other electronic supply places.

GM HEI Ignition Modules (4 Pin) Cross Index

AC DELCO
DM1906 or D1906

WELLS
DR 100

ACCEL
ACC 35361/ACC 35367

PERTRONIX
D2000

CAR QUEST

NAPA ECHLIN
ECH TP45

NIEHOFF
DR 400

BORG WARNER
Select CBE4/CBE22

GM

Mallory

Jegs
555-40600

Moroso

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 16:36 #477680 by clutch
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm just going through my pros and cons here before I decide. If I do the Loud mod, my pickup coils may be getting to the end of their life, and if I do the dyna-s thing, I may have battery drain/charging issues. Why can't this be an easy decision? lol!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

More
18 Sep 2011 18:23 - 18 Sep 2011 18:26 #477696 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
The other thing that makes the decision more difficult, is that you bought 3 ohm coils. They are right for the Dyna S, but not quite the ones you want for the factory ignition. For the factory ignition, (And HEI version), you would want the 2.2 ohm (gray) coils from Dyna.

But all is not lost. I use Accel 3-ohm coils with no problems on my HEI version of the factory ignitions (and the 3-ohm Accels are very similar to the 3-ohm Dyna green coils). It will typically only be a problem if you have higher than normal compression, or have the plug gaps opened much wider than stock. And if you really wanted to, you could probably easily sell the green coils, and get the gray coils.

Also, if you really are worried about the money, you could do 1/2 of the HEI mod. That way you only have to buy one HEI module (typically $20 ~ $25) and the two diodes and resistor.

For me, it's a no-brainer,... the HEI modules are available at any parts store. You can get pickups cheap, if you check ebay regularly, and they are available at Kawasaki brand new, but not cheap. You can use the actual pickup from any of the models using them (550, 650, 750, 1000, 1100), but the timing plate just has to be swapped between big motors and small motors.

If you ever swap the actual individual pickups, I have a page describing how to get the magnet orientation correct.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2011 18:26 by loudhvx.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Sep 2011 18:26 #477698 by clutch

loudhvx wrote: The other thing that makes the decision more difficult, is that you bought 3 ohm coils. They are right for the Dyna S, but not quite the ones you want for the factory ignition. For the factory ignition, (And HEI version), you would want the 2.2 ohm (gray) coils from Dyna.

But all is not lost. I use Accel 3-ohm coils with no problems on my HEI version of the factory ignitions (and the 3-ohm Accels are very similar to the 3-ohm Dyna green coils). It will typically only be a problem if you have higher than normal compression, or have the plug gaps opened much wider than stock. And if you really wanted to, you could probably easily sell the green coils, and get the gray coils.

Also, if you really are worried about the money, you could do 1/2 of the HEI mod. That way you only have to buy one HEI module (typically $20 ~ $25) and the two diodes and resistor.

For me, it's a no-brainer,... the HEI modules are available at any parts store. You can get pickups cheap, if you check ebay regularly, and they are available at Kawasaki brand new, but not cheap. You an use the actual pickup from any of the models using them, but the timing plate just has to be swapped.

If you ever swap the actual individual pickups, I have a page describing how to get the magnet orientation correct.

Dude...you are so making this harder. You should have just stopped with the part about the 3 ohm coils being the right ones for the Dyna-S system. LOL!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...