2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!! RESOLVED :)

More
18 Sep 2011 18:33 #477701 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
Lol, sorry.

I think it's really up to how much you like tinkering. If you hate soldering, wiring up circuits (it sounds like you are pretty proficient at it, though), and fabricating metal, then the HEI may not be your thing. If you like learning about ignitions, and builing custom parts etc, then I see you wiring up the HEI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
22 Sep 2011 19:04 - 22 Sep 2011 19:04 #478726 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
Sooooo.....new coils....new Dyna-S...still the 2/3 coil side fires half the time. Any new ides of what to check? :unsure:

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 19:04 by clutch.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Sep 2011 19:10 #478733 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!
Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with the old, Ignitor, or the two pick-up coils?
I'll tell you I also had a intermittent spark issue on my trip. I found the #3 Accel 8.8mm graphite suppression wire at fault. Not at either end, somewhere in the middle, it finally died. Have you used an OHM meter on your wires, recently, like today?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 19:11 - 22 Sep 2011 19:13 #478734 by clutch

Motor Head wrote: Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with the old, Ignitor, or the two pick-up coils?
I'll tell you I also had a intermittent spark issue on my trip. I found the #3 Accel 8.8mm graphite suppression wire at fault. Not at either end, somewhere in the middle, it finally died. Have you used an OHM meter on your wires, recently, like today?

If you explain that test to me, I will go check them...but I forgot to mention in my post above that the plug wires are new too!

EDIT: And doing the swap test that Loudhvx explained to me determined that the igniter was bad. The only thing that is still in that circuit is the power wire to the coil. Everything else has been replaced. Could it be THAT one measly little wire has been causing my woes?

Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 19:13 by clutch. Reason: shown in post

• Motor Head
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 19:15 #478738 by Motor Head
Don't know what you bought, but I would check them. OHM meter set on like 10K Ohm's. They should measure around say 4-5K, depending on which wires and how long. None should be 0 Ohms, which is open, and none should be above 10K. Measure them using the Ohm scale and both red and black leads to each end of the plug wire removed from the coil and plug. 10 minutes tops.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 19:16 #478741 by clutch

clutch wrote: EDIT: And doing the swap test that Loudhvx explained to me determined that the igniter was bad. The only thing that is still in that circuit is the power wire to the coil. Everything else has been replaced. Could it be THAT one measly little wire has been causing my woes?

Well...that SHOULDN't be the issue because the problem jumped to the 1/4 coil after swapping....

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• Motor Head
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 19:21 #478747 by Motor Head
OH Ok so it doesn't move if you swap Wires? Or did you just swap coils, and leave the plug wires as they were?
If it stays with just the same side through it all, then I would run some test wire for the Primary side. That is Hot wire the 12v feed to the suspect coil. See what that does. then Hot wire from your new Dyna, that side again straight to the coil. By pass the SOB OEM wiring and see if it makes a difference.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 19:25 #478749 by clutch
The test was to flip the ignition rotor and wiring so the black lead went to the 2/3 coil and green to the 1/4. I swapped the plug wires so that they stayed on the same coil, but went to different plugs. The condition moved to the opposite coil, with different plug wires on it, but stayed with the green coil wire. The test was to determine if the issue was the ic igniter or the pick up coils. Since the issue stayed with the green wire, it led us to believe the issue was the ic igniter. But now...the issue is still with the green wire (new wiring, but maybe a bad connection???) with all new ignition parts. It's baffling!!!!

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• Motor Head
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 19:33 - 22 Sep 2011 19:35 #478751 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 2/3 Coil only fires half the time!!!http://www
You already ran new wires to both sides of each coil, Primary wire? So new 12v Feed and Ground signal from , Now Dyna, ignitor? Soldered and heat shrinked at ends or just striped and crimped?

Also what sort of Test light do you have for testing?

Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 19:35 by Motor Head.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 19:36 #478752 by clutch

Motor Head wrote: You already ran new wires to both sides of each coil, Primary wire? So new 12v Feed and Ground signal from , Now Dyna, ignitor? Soldered and heat shrinked at ends or just striped and crimped?

Stripped and crimped for now, until I rewire the whole bike. I did not run the new 12v to the coils yet, but that shouldn't be the issue because when I swapped the coils, I left the same 12v wire....I think....hmmm...maybe I should go check that sucker real quick....

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• Motor Head
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 19:38 #478753 by Motor Head
If you have a decent test light, hook that to the 12v feed wire then to ground, then run the bike. It should stay lit up. It should be bright and steady. that will tell you if the 12v is going away.

• clutch
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2011 19:40 #478755 by clutch

Motor Head wrote: If you have a decent test light, hook that to the 12v feed wire then to ground, then run the bike. It should stay lit up. It should be bright and steady. that will tell you if the 12v is going away.

I may have to run to the store for a test light...unless a neon tube would work. That's the only thing in the garage I think I have that is a 12v dc light of any kind.

Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...