Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 18 Aug 2009 00:44 #314707

• snerff
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I need to find a small flywheel 8" or less. I had one once off a snowmobile that worked in another vehicle. I gave that vehicle away and never got my starter and flywheel back. Hard to find small flywheels and stock starters. One thing I have to say, it is da-- hard to push that thing backwards, getting too old for that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 18 Aug 2009 00:59 #314708

• snerff
  • User
This is the vehicle the starter was in.
Attachments:

Last edit: by snerff.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 17 Dec 2009 21:11 #339595

• loudhvx
  • loudhvx's Avatar Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
1978 KZ650 KZ650B2 bare bones for mrk_d.

EDIT 1/9/2019:
Mattylight Barebones Bare Bones Wiring Diagram
1978 Kawasaki Kz650B2 for mrk_d
Kz650B Kz650 B2 Kz 650 B 650B2 650B

Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 01 Feb 2010 13:37 #345865

• chanman17
  • User
Really really great resource. But reading all the info has me confused!

I have a 1980 E1 KZ650 engine that I'm using on a 1978 D frame.

I'm going for a barebones setup: headlight, brake light, ignition switch. No starter. Kickstart only. I have a battery...I will use it if necessary.

Can I use the diagrams on this thread? Do I need the Regulator / Rectifier? Do I use the one with an additional brown wire (it came on the '80 E1).

Thanks for your help. Maybe something that would be helpful is a matrix. Which diagram can you use for which bikes. Just a thought. Thanks again!

Last edit: by chanman17.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 02 Feb 2010 00:48 #345991

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
chanman17 wrote:

Really really great resource. But reading all the info has me confused!

I have a 1980 E1 KZ650 engine that I'm using on a 1978 D frame.

I'm going for a barebones setup: headlight, brake light, ignition switch. No starter. Kickstart only. I have a battery...I will use it if necessary.

Can I use the diagrams on this thread? Do I need the Regulator / Rectifier? Do I use the one with an additional brown wire (it came on the '80 E1).

Thanks for your help. Maybe something that would be helpful is a matrix. Which diagram can you use for which bikes. Just a thought. Thanks again!

There are too many variables to just make a bunch of standard diagrams. I.E. battery/no-battery, points/points with booster/kaw electronic/Dyna-S/DynaIII/Boyer/Newtronic/CDI, singlephase/3-phase, kickstart/electric-start, lights, etc. etc. etc.

It's actually faster for me to just throw a diagram together based on what someone actually wants than to try to predict the hundreds of permutations of all the options.

The big question for you is: do you think you want to try to go batteryless or not? How easily does the bike start now? If it's troublesome, then you will want to get everything else sorted out before trying to batteryless.

Regardless, you will definitley need to keep the regulator/rectifier. Does yours have the brown wire? Does it have 2 or 3 yellow wires? Are you going to keep both brake light switches? Are you using the stock ignition switch? Are you goingto keep the kill switch?

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 02 Feb 2010 09:15 #346043

• chanman17
  • User
Thanks so much.

-I want the battery.
-I have points, which is why I should keep the electric starter. Kicking it in the cold might get annoying. So, push-button start.
-My reg/rec has a brown wire. When I get home I'll look how many yellow wires.
-After market ignition switch (that I haven't purchased yet).
-I prefer not to have a kill switch. I rather use the key to turn off and on.
-I'm not sure what a brake light switch is.

I would like the lights to turn on and off with the ignition switch, therefore not needing a light switch.

Thanks again!

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 02 Feb 2010 11:28 #346064

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
This is based on the 1980 650 F1 diagram in the filebase. There was no E1 diagram.

The lightswitch is for high/low, but you can eliminate that if you want.

See later post for corrections.
Attachments:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 02 Feb 2010 14:01 #346103

• chanman17
  • User
Thanks again. I will definitely let you know how it turns out.

To be sure I'm reading this correctly:

1) There is a brown wire that runs from the top of the ignition switch (on the diagram) directly to the reg/rec.

2) There is a black wire running from the starter button to the Sol. Coil, but where does the other wire on the starter go? Is it brown that connects to the Front Brake Light switch?

I need to learn how to read this diagram. I'm excited to try it out tonight!

Thanks again!

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 02 Feb 2010 17:33 #346126

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
On most of the schematics I draw, the top line is the switched power line. The bottom line is the ground line. Those two wires will run all over the bike.

The drawing looks simple because it is not really a wiring diagram, it is a schematic. Schematics are drawn to show the circuit in it's simplest form in order to make the electrical functions a lot easier to see. However, this doesn't really tell you where the wires run or where the electrical devices are physically on the bike. Since most of these drawings are for people who have stripped everything off the bike, they usually know where things are, but need to know how to connect them.

On KZ'z, the switched power line is often brown. That's not a hard-fast rule, though. But many, if not most, things connected to that top line were probably originally using a brown wire. That is why I show the brown wires on the brake light switches.

Among exceptions is the tail light. Because it is soemtimes used as a parking light, it usually has a different color wire. But in most custom wiring cases the tail light won't have the parking light function. (It would tend to kill the battery.)

The starter solenoid should only have two small wires to it. One goes to ground and the other gets power from the start button. The start button gets its power from the key switch just like many of the other things on the bike.

Just think of that top wire as your main power source, and many circuits get their power from it. It's what's called a "bus". In this case it would be the 12v bus. The ground wire can be thought of in a similar way.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 03 Feb 2010 21:16 #346351

• chanman17
  • User
So where does that main power source originate? Where do you start?

I started from the R/R. My R/R has 4 wires: 2 yellow, 1 black, 1 Yellow and Red. I see the two yellow go to the generator in the engine, and black goes to ground, I think. Where exactly is "ground" Where do I send that black wire?

There is no brown (I was incorrect earlier) and there is no Red and White. Just a yellow/red.

What do I do with the yellow/red? Use it as brown? Where does the red/white come from that goes to the fuse?

Each coil has a yel/red wire. I gather they connect together somehow to a connecting box, then that box connects to where?

That's as far as I got tonight. Thanks again for all your help.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 03 Feb 2010 23:17 #346355

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I updated the schematic slightly.

chanman17 wrote:

So where does that main power source originate? Where do you start?

The battery always has 12v on it. It is your main power source. However, the stator is what generates power that recharges the battery. In order to generate the power in a usable way, the power must first go through the rectifier/regulator.

chanman17 wrote:

I started from the R/R. My R/R has 4 wires: 2 yellow, 1 black, 1 Yellow and Red. I see the two yellow go to the generator in the engine, and black goes to ground, I think. Where exactly is "ground" Where do I send that black wire?

You will have a main ground wire that runs throughout the bike. It is better to use a dedicated ground wire than to use the frame as ground (which is what some other makers do).

chanman17 wrote:

There is no brown (I was incorrect earlier) and there is no Red and White. Just a yellow/red.

Yellow/Red or Red/Yellow? The first color is the main wire color and the second color is the stripe. White, or White/Red is more common on the KZ's, but I guess YEL/RED is not impossible. Maybe it's an aftermarket Reg/Rec.

chanman17 wrote:

What do I do with the yellow/red? Use it as brown? Where does the red/white come from that goes to the fuse?

I changed this part of the diagram.

chanman17 wrote:

Each coil has a yel/red wire. I gather they connect together somehow to a connecting box, then that box connects to where?

There is no box, really, it's just a connection. It can be a wire-to-wire solder splice or it can be a piggy-back connector, or it can be two wires crimped into the same spade connector. There are many ways to splice a wire. You should dissassemble the original harness and see how Kawasaki did it.

Eventually the yel/red wire at the coils gets its power from the upper wire which gets its power from the ignition switch which gets its power from the vertical fuse which gets its power from the battery.

1980 KZ650 KZ650E1 bare bones for Chanman17

see later post for corrected diagram
Attachments:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 05 Feb 2010 09:25 #346641

• chanman17
  • User
Hi again. OK...below is my understanding and questions. Can you please clarify? I'm getting closer....thanks again.

So, the Yel/Red wire from the R/R goes to one 20 Amp fuse (#1 fuse). That fuse goes to another fuse (#2 fuse) that goes to the Key Switch?

Key Switch: The #2 fuse and the hot 12v wire connect to the Key Switch? Based on your earlier post I think this is correct.

Sol Coil: The Blk/Yel goes to ground and the Black goes to the Starter button?

The points have 3 wires. Two go to the coils (1 per coil). Where does the 3rd wire go? It's Blue/Red.

The two Yel/Red wires coming from the coils (1 Yel/Red per coil) connect together then they go to the hot 12v wire?

What is a brake light switch?

I think I'm starting to understand now. There is one "hot" wire and one ground wire each running through the bike. Your diagram shows which component connects to each wire, 12v (hot) and/or Ground. Thanks again!