Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 13 Aug 2009 09:55 #313650

• snerff
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Slow or fast did not seem to matter. Do you think I need bigger jets? As soon as I back down to 4000 it runs good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 13 Aug 2009 09:58 #313653

• snerff
  • User
I really hate to take up so much of your time, you have been very patient with me. I would just like to see this through, hate to give up on anything.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 13 Aug 2009 10:41 #313680

• loudhvx
  • loudhvx's Avatar Topic Author
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Looking back at the photos, it appears you have a large manifold for the air cleaners. I'm not sure what, if anything, that will do to the carburetion. Have you changed the carbs jetting at all?

Also what carbs are they?

I see you have a car battery, so voltage should not really be a problem, but always still need to check. Still need to verify the coils have at least 12v on them at all times. You are using a Dyna S, so the motor must have a good ground to the battery negative, for the dyna s to work.

You really don't want to get into carb work until you know for sure the ignition and timing are rock solid. Have youput a timing light on the motor to check the advance?

You probably should make up some really good voltmeter test leads with good alligator clips on them.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 14 Aug 2009 03:02 #313833

• snerff
  • User
Timming is a good question. I have timmed car engines off the fan timming. How and where would you check a kz engine?
The carbs are 26 mm. I put in the smaller jets from Z1, not really sure what size, they come with 2 sizes in the kit. One good thing about the Dyna coils, the plugs are not fouling anymore. I did not see any timming marks on the Dyna S mounting plate.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 14 Aug 2009 09:40 #313878

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
snerff wrote:

Timming is a good question. I have timmed car engines off the fan timming. How and where would you check a kz engine?
The carbs are 26 mm. I put in the smaller jets from Z1, not really sure what size, they come with 2 sizes in the kit. One good thing about the Dyna coils, the plugs are not fouling anymore. I did not see any timming marks on the Dyna S mounting plate.

I'm not real familiar with the timing marks on a 1000. You may want to post a thread in the electrical forum about timing. There should be marks on the advancer and a pointer in the engine casting.

There won't be marks on the Dyna, I don't think.

With the massive manifold on the air filters, you could be lean, but it's just really hard to say with all the bends etc. It may be some trial and error time for the jets.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 14 Aug 2009 19:18 #313988

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
snerff wrote:

I'm not real familiar with the timing marks on a 1000. You may want to post a thread in the electrical forum about timing. There should be marks on the advancer and a pointer in the engine casting.

There won't be marks on the Dyna, I don't think.

With the massive manifold on the air filters, you could be lean, but it's just really hard to say with all the bends etc. It may be some trial and error time for the jets.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 17 Aug 2009 00:53 #314518

• snerff
  • User
Well, I took the carbs apart and cleaned them again and blew air in all the passages. I also installed larger jets,17.5 I think. It now runs great. Not sure if it was the cleaning or the jets.
For a starter I used a 12 volt dc motor with chain directly to the drive axle. I thought that would work and the motor would be ok when not used. That did not work, the motor overheated while being run without load from the drive axle. Just thought I would try. Guess I need a started and small flywheel.
Anyway it does run great and thanks for all your help. On the the next one this winter.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 17 Aug 2009 08:55 #314578

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Glad to hear you found the problem on the carbs. Sorry to hear about the starter.

Are you going to try a stock starter?

EDIT 1/9/2019:
Mattylight Barebones Bare Bones Wiring Diagram
1982 Kawasaki Kz550 for Nelson8708
Kz 550

Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 18 Aug 2009 00:44 #314707

• snerff
  • User
I need to find a small flywheel 8" or less. I had one once off a snowmobile that worked in another vehicle. I gave that vehicle away and never got my starter and flywheel back. Hard to find small flywheels and stock starters. One thing I have to say, it is da-- hard to push that thing backwards, getting too old for that.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 18 Aug 2009 00:59 #314708

• snerff
  • User
This is the vehicle the starter was in.
Attachments:

Last edit: by snerff.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 17 Dec 2009 21:11 #339595

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
1978 KZ650 KZ650B2 bare bones for mrk_d.

EDIT 1/9/2019:
Mattylight Barebones Bare Bones Wiring Diagram
1978 Kawasaki Kz650B2 for mrk_d
Kz650B Kz650 B2 Kz 650 B 650B2 650B

Attachments:

Last edit: by loudhvx.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight 01 Feb 2010 13:37 #345865

• chanman17
  • User
Really really great resource. But reading all the info has me confused!

I have a 1980 E1 KZ650 engine that I'm using on a 1978 D frame.

I'm going for a barebones setup: headlight, brake light, ignition switch. No starter. Kickstart only. I have a battery...I will use it if necessary.

Can I use the diagrams on this thread? Do I need the Regulator / Rectifier? Do I use the one with an additional brown wire (it came on the '80 E1).

Thanks for your help. Maybe something that would be helpful is a matrix. Which diagram can you use for which bikes. Just a thought. Thanks again!

Last edit: by chanman17.