KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped.

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
23 Jun 2015 03:38 - 23 Jun 2015 03:53 #677846 by DoctoRot
KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped. was created by DoctoRot
Im hoping some one here can help me out, Im scratching my head on this one
1978 KZ400 Deluxe. an odd breed, having the early 400 engine but the later Kehin CV34 carbs.
I have gone through everything. adjusted timing, valve clearance adjusted, carbs completely broken down and cleaned, then rebuilt with new carb kits, new plugs. new air filter. manifold boots carefully inspected for cracks, as well as the carb boots. new battery

It starts up easily and idles fine at first but as it warms up the idle climbs to about 2500RPM and wont come down unless I turn the throttle back so the decell cable pulls. The idle adjust is all the way backed out. It seems to be running a little lean by the plugs. I have a gunson color tune, and i put that in and determined the air screws seem to have little if no effect on the combustion. Screwed in all the way made no difference. The color of the combustion was only blue, i could never get it to go orange even when snapping the throttle open. I thought it was an air leak, so i sprayed brake cleaner on the carbs an boots and it made no difference to the engine speed. The throttle cable setup is a bit strange to me, you're supposed to have slack on the decel cable, so if you turn it past where the spring stops it, you can actually bring the RPM down.

What the heck is going on?
Last edit: 23 Jun 2015 03:53 by DoctoRot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
23 Jun 2015 04:24 #677849 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped.
It starts up easily and idles fine at first but as it warms up the idle climbs to about 2500RPM and wont come down unless I turn the throttle back so the decell cable pulls. The idle adjust is all the way backed out

Sounds like a cable issue, personally I never use the deccel cable, just the opener against the return spring tension. Try removing that fist, you may need to change the deccel cable.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Jun 2015 11:15 - 23 Jun 2015 11:18 #677906 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped.
I thought it was a cable issue too, but i disconnected the decell cable and the problem persists, with loads of slack in the acell cable. The air screws not having an effect makes me think that perhaps they aren't seating correctly or something, letting too much air in and causing it to run lean. When i got a new carb kits i did a cursory look over to make sure they were the same, and they appeared so but i didn't scrutinize them to be sure. Other things i am now considering are; float heights, and the jet plugs leaking letting too much fuel in.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2015 11:18 by DoctoRot.

More
23 Jun 2015 11:47 #677919 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped.
Did you comapare the replacement jets with the stock jets?

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
23 Jun 2015 14:18 - 23 Jun 2015 14:19 #677954 by Z650Spirit
Replied by Z650Spirit on topic KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped.
Hi Vic, sounds to me that you need to vacuum sync the carbs. By the symptoms, appears that one of the carbs is bottoming out while the other is still a bit open pulling revs up. When you apply closing force you are slightly bending certain components forcing the "opened" carb to close and bringing the revs down.
Cold and on choke this might not be as noticeble.

As a side note, if the Colortune is showing a blue flame, then the mixture is spot on.

Pablo.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2015 14:19 by Z650Spirit.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Jun 2015 16:59 #677993 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped.
Doc, I've been meaning to ask, what is that on your foot?
Steve

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Jun 2015 20:34 - 23 Jun 2015 20:35 #678023 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped.

Z650Spirit wrote: Hi Vic, sounds to me that you need to vacuum sync the carbs. By the symptoms, appears that one of the carbs is bottoming out while the other is still a bit open pulling revs up. When you apply closing force you are slightly bending certain components forcing the "opened" carb to close and bringing the revs down.
Cold and on choke this might not be as noticeble.

I figured i couldn't sync the carbs until i figured out why it was changing so much. I will do that and report back.

Z650Spirit wrote: As a side note, if the Colortune is showing a blue flame, then the mixture is spot on.

I thought a straight blue was lean. Ideal color being a whitish blue, just above the yellow/orange.

Kidkawie wrote: Did you comapare the replacement jets with the stock jets?

Yes. They are the stock jets, with stock exhaust and stock filter in the airbox.

swest wrote: Doc, I've been meaning to ask, what is that on your foot?
Steve

Lol. I was in West texas in the spring on my KZ1000 years ago, I'm scooting along and i see this brown mass on the road, as i approached i realized it was a shit ton of tarantulas. I stopped to take a photo and when i did this one crawled on my foot.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2015 20:35 by DoctoRot.

More
23 Jun 2015 21:24 #678030 by Z650Spirit
[quote="DoctoRot" post=678023
I thought a straight blue was lean. Ideal color being a whitish blue, just above the yellow/orange.
[/quote]

Anything in the blue range would be OK. Slightly lean and the blue flame disappears from sight completely, meaning you won't see anything in there.
The onset of a blue flame is a green one and a tad rich at idle; as soon as it turns really blue would be the sweet spot.

Pablo.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Jun 2015 21:28 #678031 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped.
We have black ones here. They're aren't dangerous but very friendly.
Steve

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Jun 2015 21:30 #678032 by SWest

More
23 Jun 2015 21:54 #678036 by Z650Spirit
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

swest wrote: Got a link for the color tune?
Steve

This would be the correct one for your bike, Steve.

Pablo.

More
23 Jun 2015 22:08 #678039 by Copbike1000
Replied by Copbike1000 on topic KZ400 Idle issues. I'm stumped.
I had the same issue with my KZ1000p. would idle too high, and it would idle on two cylinders instead of all four. I first thought I had a bad ignition coil. If I rode away, from idle to higher revs, the motor would suddenly run stronger and it ran on four cylinders.

I had done the same as you, took carbs off a few times, cleaned them, adjusted everything put it all back together and would end up with the same thing, rough, high idle.

In my case, I went into the carbs yet again and, changed out the pilot jets, which control the idle circuit. Done deal, all is well now! Good luck.................

1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P, Rancho Cordova, Ca
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598384...-project-bike#674472