vm33

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 Jan 2015 20:22 #657948 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic vm33
The tang that touches the needle should be almost level. If it is on an angle it will cock the needle to one side and make it leak. Make sure the float balls are even and the tang is straight. Bend the arms down little by little until it stops and the fuel level is even with the bottom flange casting. About 1/4" below the gasket.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jan 2015 12:18 #657988 by jonarmstrong
Replied by jonarmstrong on topic vm33
I've definitely bent the tab beyond level. I wonder if I have the wrong needles. Anywhere near level and the other two start running out. I bent them to get the gas level down to a manageable level. What gets me is that I wired the floats up to barely touching the needles and they were sealed. It just doesn't work with the bowls on.

82 Kz1000 gpz1100 cams dyna ignition kerker k&n

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jan 2015 14:47 #657989 by SWest
The tangs are a fine adjustment only. Make them even with the arms first, then bend down the float arms at the balls so no fuel will come in with the bowls on. You don't need all the screws in to do this. One by one adjust the float arms up a step at a time using your tubing gauge until the desired level is achieved. Forget about measuring it at this point.
Steve

More
07 Jan 2015 17:43 #657998 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic vm33
Trade you a set of VM29's ?

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jan 2015 17:58 #658000 by SWest
No thanks, I still have my 28's. I used them for 25 years until I got my 33's. Not a lot of difference but I was planning a 100cc overbore. Couldn't do it until now I have KZ 1000 barrels.
Keep trying, you'll get it. Pics? Maybe I can help.
Steve

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jan 2015 11:33 #658421 by jonarmstrong
Here's some pics. Maybe someone can see something I don't. Gas still coming out of 1&2

Attachments:

More
11 Jan 2015 11:53 #658422 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic vm33
On 1 & 2, what do the needles, the float tang close off, look like? Do you have a lupe? ...or a magnifying glass? Take a look at the mating surface of the needle, up close... really close! Any pitting or damage?

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jan 2015 12:05 #658423 by jonarmstrong
There's a line around all the needles. I think its mainly on #1 and its overflowing #2 through the vent. Weird thing is I can't blow through the fuel line with carbs turned upside down. This topic is getting old and I'm sure everyone reading it will think its an easy fix but I just can't figure it out. This is not my first set of carbs I'm about to give up on them though. Just a shame to spend so much money for nothing

More
11 Jan 2015 12:31 #658424 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic vm33

jonarmstrong wrote: There's a line around all the needles. I think its mainly on #1 and its overflowing #2 through the vent. Weird thing is I can't blow through the fuel line with carbs turned upside down. This topic is getting old and I'm sure everyone reading it will think its an easy fix but I just can't figure it out. This is not my first set of carbs I'm about to give up on them though. Just a shame to spend so much money for nothing

I would give the needles a good cleaning. Maybe even take a very light sanding to the surfaces...

Well, this could also be why they were put up for sale, in the first place? Previous owner also could not figure out the problem? Do you know the history on these?

Another thought... take a good close look at the carb bodies of 1&2, near where fuel enters the bowls and see if you spot anything that looks like hairline cracks. Again, not nikid eyes, put magnification on them... look hard and close!

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jan 2015 13:49 #658426 by SWest

jonarmstrong wrote: Here's some pics. Maybe someone can see something I don't. Gas still coming out of 1&2

First off the fuel lines are supposed to come from the back. The inlet is 5/16 but the petcock is 1/4/ You heat up the line so it will fit the inlet using 1/4 line. No hose clamps should be needed. The petcock has two outlets, use two lines with a bullet filter in between. One and two have a common vent. If one isn't shutting off, then both will flood. If the needles have a ridge AKA line around them, they must be replaced. They're shot. jetsrus has them. I'll be buying one for mine. No amount of sanding will fix them. That's why they were sold. If it is not too late you can file a not as described and get your money back if you bought them on eBay. These are good carbs but the draw back is they aren't made anymore. Parts can be interchanged but you have to send Mike the measurements to be sure. Looks like your getting there.

PS; needles will work from smaller VM's but the seat threads are larger. Put up a pic of the needles.
Steve

• jonarmstrong
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jan 2015 06:54 #658482 by jonarmstrong
Seller deleted the account and started another one. EBay can't do anything to seller. I'm going to look for cracks I feel like seller was trying to get out from under these carbs

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
12 Jan 2015 07:17 #658485 by SWest

jonarmstrong wrote: Seller deleted the account and started another one. EBay can't do anything to seller. I'm going to look for cracks I feel like seller was trying to get out from under these carbs

That's BS. How long has it been? You can file a dispute with Pay Pal if it isn't too late. Report the seller. Being a seller, I can tell you they protect the buyer more than the seller. Go to the discussion boards with your complaint. I know the needles and seats are expensive but if you get them working, they'll be great.
My mistake as a buyer was, I left positive feed back before I checked out the parts for fit or if they had any problems. I had one seller pestering me about not leaving feed back. I told him it's now my policy to make sure the part is correct before leaving any feed back for ANYONE. It's a game and you have to know the rules.
Steve