motion pro sync tool,

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2010 06:01 #392395 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic motion pro sync tool,
TeK9iNe wrote:

stonemaster wrote:

this tool is a POS, Followed all instructions to the T, wouldn't even calibrate correctly, Lame, i can do better by ear, NEXT ....

Many people have been successful with this tool.

If it wont calibrate correctly, there is deffinately a setup issue as it can be done off the bike. Just hook the four lines into the 5-way tee and suck on the last opening watching the liquid rise up till about 1/2 way. Plug the hole with your tongue and then calibrate the levels with the screws around 1/3 height of the instrument. Works great!

I used to do the ear thing until I got a Morgan Carbtune Pro, then I realized how bad my ears sucked. :laugh:

great trick I tried it a got the thing calibrated, works much better than trying to calibrate on the bike, gotta go to work for awhile and will have to wait till later to sync carbs but its a start, and thanx again guys

GL.

B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2010 06:50 #392402 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic motion pro sync tool,
TeK9iNe wrote:

Plug the hole with your tongue .....

Got pics? :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Aug 2010 06:54 #392403 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic motion pro sync tool,
"until I got a Morgan Carbtune Pro, then I realized how bad my ears sucked. ".....

Yes indeed, me as well... :laugh:

The Morgan unit ROCKS! :woohoo:
I thought I had my CR's all dialed in using the analog gauges.... Got my Morgan, immediately checked my syn vacuum readings...

No comparison... :blush: I was so off it wasn't even funny.... Spec is +/- 2mm.... I was anywhere from 5 - 10mm off.... :S

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
20 Aug 2010 07:04 #392407 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic motion pro sync tool,
One trick whether using guages or sticks is to sync the carbs then move the guage or stick hoses so they're attached to different carbs. Check the sync again and if the guages or sticks read differently you have a guage or stick accuracy issue. I did this with some elcheapo guages and was surprised how far off one of them was. A friend gave me a top quality set of guages when he wrecked his bike and they are very accurate. It only takes a minute to do, but it will give some peace of mind knowing that you haven't adjusted the carbs to compensate for an inaccurate tool. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Aug 2010 07:52 #392418 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic motion pro sync tool,
The old Motion Pro carbstix with mercury worked fine, the new garbage without mercury is junk.
The way it works is there are a restrictor placed in each line, and when I say restrictor, I'm not kidding. The restrictor reduces a 3/16" rubber line to about the diameter of a hair. Now I saw that and said "NO WAY", this hair passage will always be blocked. I went to calibrate the tool and it worked ok in a Chinese kind of rig type way. Two weeks later I go upstairs to get the tool, (oh yea, can't let it get cold so no keeping this delicate tool in the garage with the rest), get the tool out and of course 2 of the 4 restrictors are clogged so I try to blow compressed air through them. Kind of hard to blow compressed air through a hair passage. All the time the glycol would not settle so shake the tool as instructed. All this does is knock all the adapters on the dirt and still glycol will not settle, so I try to blow in the lines which always worked on the old tool. Well the tool is ruined now. Motion Pro sends me a new one and deja vu. I have no patience for a tool that is a piece of sheet, and they don't get any more piece of sheet than this tool.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
20 Aug 2010 07:57 #392421 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic motion pro sync tool,
timebomb33 wrote:

you can buy refill mercury for them.

I think this is no longer an option in most of the U.S.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
20 Aug 2010 08:18 #392426 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic motion pro sync tool,
650ed wrote:

TeK9iNe wrote:

Plug the hole with your tongue .....

Got pics? :laugh:

:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:

For the real quick-easy mechanic... :blush:

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
20 Aug 2010 08:19 - 20 Aug 2010 08:26 #392427 by TeK9iNe
Old Man Rock wrote:

"until I got a Morgan Carbtune Pro, then I realized how bad my ears sucked. ".....

Yes indeed, me as well... :laugh:

The Morgan unit ROCKS! :woohoo:
I thought I had my CR's all dialed in using the analog gauges.... Got my Morgan, immediately checked my syn vacuum readings...

No comparison... :blush: I was so off it wasn't even funny.... Spec is +/- 2mm.... I was anywhere from 5 - 10mm off.... :S

YES, absolutely, way off - same as with my ears!

Forget the Motion Pro, the Morgan Unit is damn near FLAWLESS as far as I'm concerned.

For tuning mixture - Colortune and ears/rpm/engine whir combo
For sync - Morgan Carbtune Pro II

Done this on MANY bikes, and yes... even Hardleys, works fantastic!

Hells' Yeah!

B)

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Last edit: 20 Aug 2010 08:26 by TeK9iNe.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
20 Aug 2010 08:22 #392429 by TeK9iNe
stonemaster wrote:

upon attempt to calibrate the first two shot fluid all the way to the top and would not come down no matter which way I turned the adjuster screw.

This happens when a proper bench sync has ot been performed, or there is a significant air leak on the low vacuum carbs that you are compensating with idle to run the bike.

Bench sync the carbs, then install them and make sure the carb to engine boots are sealed up good with some Permatx Moto-seal or #2 gasket maker, as these are gas resistant and last a VERY long time.

GL!

B)

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2010 19:07 - 20 Aug 2010 19:09 #392618 by stonemaster
no leaks sealed with permatex already, i do it every time, I got the unit to function somewhat however after a short time the fluid began to break up significantly. By the time I was done it looked like a DNA test, Bands of various widths up and down the tubes, yes it was set up correctly, the dampers it the correct end of tube tapered end first .... I wonder if the more powerful motor/carbs do not work as well with this ??? I still think different, more dense fluid would make be an improvement, readings werent accurate either
Last edit: 20 Aug 2010 19:09 by stonemaster.

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2010 19:28 #392625 by stonemaster
RonKZ650 wrote:

The old Motion Pro carbstix with mercury worked fine, the new garbage without mercury is junk.
The way it works is there are a restrictor placed in each line, and when I say restrictor, I'm not kidding. The restrictor reduces a 3/16" rubber line to about the diameter of a hair. Now I saw that and said "NO WAY", this hair passage will always be blocked. I went to calibrate the tool and it worked ok in a Chinese kind of rig type way. Two weeks later I go upstairs to get the tool, (oh yea, can't let it get cold so no keeping this delicate tool in the garage with the rest), get the tool out and of course 2 of the 4 restrictors are clogged so I try to blow compressed air through them. Kind of hard to blow compressed air through a hair passage. All the time the glycol would not settle so shake the tool as instructed. All this does is knock all the adapters on the dirt and still glycol will not settle, so I try to blow in the lines which always worked on the old tool. Well the tool is ruined now. Motion Pro sends me a new one and deja vu. I have no patience for a tool that is a piece of sheet, and they don't get any more piece of sheet than this tool.

exact same for me oh well, I'm thinkin change the fluid, any ideas on a substitute??

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Aug 2010 03:54 #392686 by stonemaster
after two wasted days I have thrown in the towel, I shoulda bought gauges, as every other tool has issues, when they changed from mercury is when problems began, I removed carbs and re-bench synced so I can now ride a little, anyone want to buy it let me know,