Is this a problem?

More
11 Apr 2010 19:14 #360008 by davelKZ1000
Replied by davelKZ1000 on topic Is this a problem?
TeK9iNe wrote:

You said you have compression, but what are the numbers?
How much difference between cylinders?

Are you sure thats oil blowing out, and not a gas/soot/some oil mixture?

Are all the mixture screws present, with thier o-rings, and the tips of them are good?

You could have a broken oil control ring...
Or gas overflowing into cylinder, into oil thinning it...

Check...

Or just pull the head and block off and take it in to get checked and deglazed.
Then throw in new rings and head gasket, and away ya go.

B)

OK...this is weird. Today I started the bike and put a bucket behind pipe to see how much oil was coming out and I got nothing.

To awnser your questions.

All mixture screws. Are there and The orings are new. The tips all look good.

Compression. Is

120 115 120 125

Could the oil mixing in cause it not to fire on number. 1 accept on choke and wide open throttle?
I think I am only getting the oil out of the pipe when number one is not firing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2010 14:59 #360427 by davelKZ1000
TeK9iNe wrote:

You said you have compression, but what are the numbers?
How much difference between cylinders?

Are you sure thats oil blowing out, and not a gas/soot/some oil mixture?

Are all the mixture screws present, with thier o-rings, and the tips of them are good?

You could have a broken oil control ring...
Or gas overflowing into cylinder, into oil thinning it...

Check...

Or just pull the head and block off and take it in to get checked and deglazed.
Then throw in new rings and head gasket, and away ya go.

B)

I drained my oil today and I think it does have a gas smell to it
Not posative though.
What does this mean. .....how do I fix it?

• jswag5
  • User
  • whats the big deal about harley, i prefer 4 cyls!!
More
13 Apr 2010 17:17 #360448 by jswag5
Replied by jswag5 on topic Is this a problem?
looks like a ring and valve job is in order, have you done a leakdown test as well as the compresion test? this will let you know where the problem is.
do the leakdown test if you get air coming out of the crankcase, pull the valve cover, leaks past valves will mean you have a bad valve seal, the easier of the two to correct, if no air is coming from the crancase and not the valves its bad rings.

82 kz1000p
83 yammie xj750mk bobber
78 honda cx500 standard cafe
RECENT 81 honda goldwing(barn fresh with 15000 on the clock)
if you cant fix it with a hammer and duct tape, get a bigger hammer and more duct tape!!

More
14 Apr 2010 16:33 #360668 by davelKZ1000
jswag5 wrote:

looks like a ring and valve job is in order, have you done a leakdown test as well as the compresion test? this will let you know where the problem is.
do the leakdown test if you get air coming out of the crankcase, pull the valve cover, leaks past valves will mean you have a bad valve seal, the easier of the two to correct, if no air is coming from the crancase and not the valves its bad rings.

how is a leakdown test done?

Also i just took the carbs apart again and i noticed my needle jet is missing for carb 1 could that cause all this problem. The needle jet is the one that is pressed in under the main jet right?

More
14 Apr 2010 16:54 #360671 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Is this a problem?
if you have gas in your oil it is caused by weak or bad needles and seats or as as ome people call them float valve assemblys. you can get replacement parts from z1 enterprises i wouldn't be tearing apart the motor just yet get that problem fixed first before you decide to do anything drastic. a leak down test is fairly easy to do you need a leak down tester and an air compressor. you can buy leakdown testers from many sources. in the states try harbour freight and if your in the great white north try princess auto. they both have single gauge testers for a resonable price and they come with instructions.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
14 Apr 2010 17:00 #360674 by davelKZ1000
timebomb33 wrote:

if you have gas in your oil it is caused by weak or bad needles and seats or as as ome people call them float valve assemblys. you can get replacement parts from z1 enterprises i wouldn't be tearing apart the motor just yet get that problem fixed first before you decide to do anything drastic. a leak down test is fairly easy to do you need a leak down tester and an air compressor. you can buy leakdown testers from many sources. in the states try harbour freight and if your in the great white north try princess auto. they both have single gauge testers for a resonable price and they come with instructions.

HOW IS THE LEAKDOWN TEST PERFORMED ONEI HAVTHE TOOLS? COULD A MISSING NEEDLE JET CAUSE THE GAS IN OIL AND NUMBER ONE NOT FIREING EXCEPT ON CHOKE AND FULL THROTLE?

More
14 Apr 2010 17:30 #360684 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Is this a problem?
Leak down procedure... See right hand text...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2010 19:10 #360721 by Mellvis
Replied by Mellvis on topic Is this a problem?
[/quote]

HOW IS THE LEAKDOWN TEST PERFORMED ONEI HAVTHE TOOLS? COULD A MISSING NEEDLE JET CAUSE THE GAS IN OIL AND NUMBER ONE NOT FIREING EXCEPT ON CHOKE AND FULL THROTLE?[/quote]

Put in a new jet, change the oil, change the plugs. If that fixes it, you're done ...cheaply!

A missing jet will let LOTS of gas in the cylinder, way too much to burn, so it goes past the rings into the crankcase. As the crankcase gets full and the oil gets thin the oil get past the rings and goes out of the exhaust. When the engine is revved, you get more air to help lean out the massive amounts of gas in the cylinder from the missing jet.

WARNING: Gas in the crankcase eats bearings!!!!!!

I hope this makes sense

More
23 Apr 2010 15:37 #362676 by davelKZ1000
I just want to thank everyone for the posts. All the help is greatly apreciated.
My problem all along was a missing needle jet in carb 1.
I sent them to Keith1 on here and he cleaned them up replaced the needle jet and a bunch of other parts. He cleaned and polished the carbs and they look great and the bike runs awesome now.
here is a video of the bike running now and it shows my nice clean and shiny carbs.

More
24 Apr 2010 20:10 #362958 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Is this a problem?
dave,
i m glad i was able to help and thanks for the kudos...sounds like you are all set for now....just trying to help out a fellow member......400 bucks and 2 months(?) wait
for "the guru" just plain aint right...!!!....ride on...!!

More
24 Apr 2010 20:18 - 24 Apr 2010 20:21 #362959 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Is this a problem?
davelKZ1000 wrote:

davelKZ1000 wrote:

Patton wrote:

davelKZ1000 wrote:

...i removed the pilot jet and fuel mixture screw. when i spray through the pilot jet whole the spray comes out of the whole were the needle of the fuel mixture screw sets.

Hopefully spray also comes out bypass outlet 3 (as well as pilot outlet 4).

Is the float bowl fuel level correct as verified by the clear tube test? If too low, could disallow sufficient fuel into pilot jet.

Would also consider installing a new pilot jet to preclude possibility of damaged orifices in the existing pilot jet. Sometimes over zealous cleaning may damage the pilot jet orifices.

ill try some of this tomorrow....two things....I do not recall seeing spray come out of bypass outlet. one thing i did do is while bike running i removed the mixture screw and sprayed carb cleaner up through the mixure screw whole. nothing happend...no change at all whatsoever.

Would also double check condition of pointy tip on pilot mixture screw to assure it isn't damaged.

Opposite problem could be an over-rich condition which might be fuel-fouling the spark plug, perhaps caused by too high fuel level.

What does spark plug reading indicate? Too rich (sooty)? Perhaps dry (lack of fuel mixture)?

What's effect of installing a brand new spark plug? Does it combust for a short time before fouling out -- or never fire at all -- or what? :unsure:

[Sorry if some of this has already been covered.]

Good Fortune! :)

ok as far as the plugs... 2 3 and 4 are good. I started the bike on choke let it warm up. number one got hot i took out plug and it was wet but it was oily. smelled more like oil than gas. i swaped out for a new plug and let it idle and it was not as bad as the one i just took out. left pipe also has the oil coming out of it but it gets less as the bike warms up....heres a pic of the oil out of pipe

HOLY SHI* that is a lot of oil. Either you have a REALLY BAD valve guide, like floating in its own pocket bad. Or a broken ring or even a hole in the piston. I have only seen something this bad when I broke a ring and it wore a hole threw the side of the piston. Whatever it is, it is bad enough to require some major top end disassembly. see if you are blowing positive airflow threw your crank case breather. If you have any pressure coming out of your crank case breather it is a piston problem.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 24 Apr 2010 20:21 by otakar.

More
24 Apr 2010 20:48 #362965 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Is this a problem?
otakar wrote:

davelKZ1000 wrote:

davelKZ1000 wrote:

Patton wrote:

davelKZ1000 wrote:

...i removed the pilot jet and fuel mixture screw. when i spray through the pilot jet whole the spray comes out of the whole were the needle of the fuel mixture screw sets.

Hopefully spray also comes out bypass outlet 3 (as well as pilot outlet 4).

Is the float bowl fuel level correct as verified by the clear tube test? If too low, could disallow sufficient fuel into pilot jet.

Would also consider installing a new pilot jet to preclude possibility of damaged orifices in the existing pilot jet. Sometimes over zealous cleaning may damage the pilot jet orifices.

ill try some of this tomorrow....two things....I do not recall seeing spray come out of bypass outlet. one thing i did do is while bike running i removed the mixture screw and sprayed carb cleaner up through the mixure screw whole. nothing happend...no change at all whatsoever.

Would also double check condition of pointy tip on pilot mixture screw to assure it isn't damaged.

Opposite problem could be an over-rich condition which might be fuel-fouling the spark plug, perhaps caused by too high fuel level.

What does spark plug reading indicate? Too rich (sooty)? Perhaps dry (lack of fuel mixture)?

What's effect of installing a brand new spark plug? Does it combust for a short time before fouling out -- or never fire at all -- or what? :unsure:

[Sorry if some of this has already been covered.]

Good Fortune! :)

ok as far as the plugs... 2 3 and 4 are good. I started the bike on choke let it warm up. number one got hot i took out plug and it was wet but it was oily. smelled more like oil than gas. i swaped out for a new plug and let it idle and it was not as bad as the one i just took out. left pipe also has the oil coming out of it but it gets less as the bike warms up....heres a pic of the oil out of pipe

HOLY SHI* that is a lot of oil. Either you have a REALLY BAD valve guide, like floating in its own pocket bad. Or a broken ring or even a hole in the piston. I have only seen something this bad when I broke a ring and it wore a hole threw the side of the piston. Whatever it is, it is bad enough to require some major top end disassembly. see if you are blowing positive airflow threw your crank case breather. If you have any pressure coming out of your crank case breather it is a piston problem.

otto,
i thought the same thing till i had carbs in hand....he told me he was missing needle jet and sure enough he was....he found one for the needle he is running and i put it in along with new jets and a used float pin i had....he had one that was a little chewed....his carbs were pretty clean alraedy....i just made sure everything was clear and cleaned out the holes in the choke pick-ups and the emulsion tubes ....vm s aint rocket science.....that missing needle jet was allowing a lot gas to get in and dilute oil to that cylinder and blow it through the exhaust valve.....Larry gave me a few tips on this ......