10% Ethanol

More
04 Aug 2016 15:17 #737429 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic 10% Ethanol

z1kzonly wrote: I was hinted a while back to keep Politics out of the KZ motorcycle forum. But!
YES! ethanol blend gas sucks! Period. Luckily the EPA did not follow the plan from current POTUS.
Read excerpt below. The United States Gov wants to mandate 15% ethanol! WTF???!!!

I help run a AA/Gas Nostalgia gasser race car, runs on Methanol and super charged. Fuel is very corrosive.
Fuel system always has to be drained completely while sitting longer than a few days.
But over the past here I always praised "Marvels Mystery Oil" 1 ounce to 5 gallons of fuel (recommended) I use 2 ounces!
My old vintage Harley shovelhead still has the soft valves seats from factory when leaded fuel was around. The lead lubricated the valve seats. I have changed vales once and pistons once since new. I was 2nd owner. I run .030 over forged Wiseco's. Put them in in 1989. Still tight and don't burn any oil!
But all vehicles can benifit from Marvels, I use it in lawn mower, snow blower all the motorcycles, 3 new vehicles I have owned.
And a little goes into the Gasser along with blower lube.
Marvels Mystery Oil! Just do it!!!!!!!
EPA VS. POTUS he wants 15%
The Obama administration backed off its so-called ethanol mandate Monday, dealing a blow to President Obama’s promise of a green energy revolution just as he and other world leaders opened a new round of historic climate change talks in Paris.
The Environmental Protection Agency’s latest round of ethanol mandates — known as the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) and initiated during President George W. Bush’s time in office — came under fire from all sides, with proponents of ethanol blending saying the rules fall far short of what the nation needs to continue cutting greenhouse gas emissions and from critics who say the entire system is flawed and must be scrapped.
The regulations call for at least 18.11 billion gallons of renewable fuels to be blended into the nation’s gasoline supply in 2016, significantly above the 17.4 billion gallons initially proposed earlier this year but far below the 22.3 billion-gallon requirement set by Congress in 2007 legislation.
Blending homegrown ethanol into gasoline, supporters say, helps reduce emissions and cut American dependence on foreign fuel. But the standards have run into practical problems, most notably the fact that most automobiles and gas stations aren’t equipped to handle fuel containing more than 10 percent ethanol — a problem commonly referred to as the “blend wall.”
Inability to overcome that blend wall is the main reason EPA has been unable to meet the congressionally mandated ethanol levels and, at this point, is essentially ignoring federal law.
Still, EPA says its most recent figures will require the blending of more than 10 percent ethanol into gasoline, and administration officials are confident that can be done.

I'd just like to add that using the 10% ethanol mix in gas is incentivized in individual states, the ethanol-laced stuff burns faster, causing worse gas mileage...which in turn makes drivers buy more gas. Increasing gas consumption in an individual state causes increased revenue for that state. I forgot how though, I read about it last night, probably either a cut of the profits or tax breaks.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Aug 2016 15:40 #737432 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 10% Ethanol
Gas tax. They're talking about rationing gas in this state and limiting the miles driven.
Steve

More
04 Aug 2016 16:34 #737438 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic 10% Ethanol
Since I do lawn equipment for a living I see all the fuel issue's every day
and I'll tell you it's NOT the gas there's not a thing wrong with the gas from the pump
it's the ethanol and the additive package they put in it.

Here's the deal with ethanol it's a hydroscopic solvent so it suck's the moisture out of the air
and dissolves everything it touches.
Here's a simple test to see how much ethanol is in the different gas you buy
take a sealed can and go get a fresh gallon and seal it as quick as you can
go home and poor about two inch in a glass jar no lid and set it on the work bench for 15 min. and see how milky it get's.
The more milky it get's the more ethanol in the gas.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
04 Aug 2016 17:44 - 04 Aug 2016 17:47 #737447 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic 10% Ethanol
GPzMOD750 wrote:

I've advanced the timing a tad

Question? Whats a Tad? Not being a smart Azz but how many degrees do you advance?

Thanks.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 04 Aug 2016 17:47 by Z1Driver.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Aug 2016 17:59 #737456 by SWest
Just a little. Kinda doing it by feel.
Steve

More
04 Aug 2016 18:52 - 04 Aug 2016 18:53 #737466 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic 10% Ethanol

Z1Driver wrote:
Question? Whats a Tad? Not being a smart Azz but how many degrees do you advance?

Thanks.

More than a RCH, about the same as a skosh, not quite a bit, less than some, way less than a bunch. ;)

Seriously, about 1-3° advanced than the mark. Keep in mind I'm a bit down on compression as of the last time i checked as well. I also have a Dyna ignition that I can make small adjustments to the 2 coils independently.

Gas ain't what it used to be and the factory marks should only be used as a starting point. To get things tuned right you have to make a ton of adjustments to the pilot screws, the idle screws, the timing and even the jet needles using a good vacuum gauge in a constant circuit of adjustment to get it dialed in. When you are done the timing marks are more than likely going to be off.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2016 18:53 by GPzMOD750.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Aug 2016 19:04 #737472 by SWest
I don't do anything but use the marks. No problems. Overhauled the spark advance though. :whistle:
Steve

More
04 Aug 2016 20:28 #737478 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic 10% Ethanol
With my Dyna 2000 ign. I plug into the laptop and can program five different advance curves
then use the knob on the box to pick which one I want/need.
The software let's me set the advance every 100 rpm's for each curves.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
05 Aug 2016 01:19 #737486 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic 10% Ethanol
When I get a chance one of these days I'll advance timing and see what happens. I have a Morgan Carb Tune so I have the gauge thing covered. Tim.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
More
05 Aug 2016 03:49 #737488 by ThatGPzGuy
Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic 10% Ethanol
I'm fortunate enough to have non ethanol fuel sold nearby. Probably due to being by the lake. Anyway, I run the ordinary crap in anything that gets driven quite a bit. However, I always switch to non ethanol in the Fall so that nothing sits over the winter with that crap in it. The exception being the boat and for that I use Stabil No issues with that so far. For anything that does not get a lot of use I use non -ethanol.
I made the mistake of letting ethanol sit in my dirt bike carb for six months after an injury. When I drained it the gas was bright green and I ended up having to send the carb out to be cleaned.

Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

More
07 Aug 2016 18:19 #737759 by bl_francis
Replied by bl_francis on topic 10% Ethanol
The whole thing is weird to me. The government subsidizes farming a lot. Think of all of the fossil fuels used to grow an acre of corn - fertilizer, pesticides, and the fuel to run the ploughs, seeders, combines, trucks, etc. So is it really that good for the planet? Anyhoo…

This is the product I've been using this summer: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3IEIFO/ref...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have any of you tried it?

1987 KZ1000 Police

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Aug 2016 18:22 #737761 by SWest
Filling up the unit today I was looking at the Flex Fuel sign. It costs more to make that stuff than Gas but it's $1 cheaper. :huh:
Steve