10% Ethanol

More
12 Aug 2016 13:25 #738415 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 10% Ethanol
It was known that ethanol was good at raising octane ratings in gasoline before we had leaded gas. If they had just bit the bullet back in the 1920's (ethanol cost more to produce than other octane-raisers), we'd all be driving vehicles that were designed to handle ethanol, and we'd probably be getting the type of performance you can get out of E-85-only motors. But tetraethyllead was cheap to produce, and a money-maker for GM (who had the patent on using tetraethyllead) and Standard Oil (who had the patent for producing it). They partnered to form Ethyl corp, so that's what we ended up with for 50 years. We are only getting back to what we should have used in the first place. Unfortunately KZ riders are stuck with vehicles not designed to handle ethanol, so get out your tank liners, solder for fixing brass, and buy stock in Gumout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
12 Aug 2016 13:46 #738420 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic 10% Ethanol
Another issue I've had with old Kaws using alcohol diluted fuels is that the alcohol absorbs into the black foam carburetor floats, making them heavier which causes the fuel level in the float bowl to rise.
I'll admit that I don't know this for a fact, rather it's just a suspicion based in part on the fact that I've never encountered a KZ1300 where the problem was a too low fuel level. If I could get my hands on an actual NOS 1300 float I could perhaps prove it. In the 1300 community most restorers have gone to custom made brass floats to solve this issue.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
12 Aug 2016 14:59 #738424 by loudhvx
That's strange. I haven't noticed that on any of the 550 or 400 floats. I've also worried about it, and thought by some miracle they were not affected. Probably wishful thinking, but so far so good.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
12 Aug 2016 20:26 #738458 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic 10% Ethanol
I run enough miles that gumming has not been a problem due to ethanol. Performance and fuel economy are down ever so slightly.

My biggest complaint is that my vacuum operated fuel petcock starts leaking on an annual basis. The thin diaphragm rubber softens and cannot seal as it is sandwiched between the layers of the petcock. After putting new gaskets in every year for about 5 years, I finally got some thick fiber reinforced rubber material and removed the guts from the petcock. You can manually shut it off by turning the petcock handle, but otherwise it is always ON --- and with no reserve feature. Not good, but I got tired of fooling with the annual repairs.

And then the moisture absorption. The humidity is usually high where I live. Place a pan of gasoline out in the ambient air and it becomes cloudy within minutes. Which means that I am running my engine partly on water. Our guvment and Obummer watching over us with the ethanol fuels.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

More
13 Aug 2016 05:43 - 13 Aug 2016 05:44 #738482 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 10% Ethanol

KZQ wrote: Another issue I've had with old Kaws using alcohol diluted fuels is that the alcohol absorbs into the black foam carburetor floats, making them heavier which causes the fuel level in the float bowl to rise.
I'll admit that I don't know this for a fact, rather it's just a suspicion based in part on the fact that I've never encountered a KZ1300 where the problem was a too low fuel level. If I could get my hands on an actual NOS 1300 float I could perhaps prove it. In the 1300 community most restorers have gone to custom made brass floats to solve this issue.
Bill

If you have a really accurate scale such as a triple beam balance you could weight some floats before and after an oven bake. Gasoline may absorb into the float so not sure how you would figure out if the alcohol was to blame or just the gasoline.

As an aside, my car broke down one time when the fuel pump failed. It was an electrical pump in the gas tank. Ordered up a new pump and pulled the old one out but upon reinstall I found the large O-ring for the pump was swelled up and couldn't be refit as is. Scratched my head and decided to bake the old O-ring in the oven for a while. Low and behold, 1 hour at 170F and the O-ring shrunk down to normal size and I was able to reinstall the pump.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2016 05:44 by Nessism.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
13 Aug 2016 06:42 #738490 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic 10% Ethanol

Nessism wrote:

KZQ wrote: Another issue I've had with old Kaws using alcohol diluted fuels is that the alcohol absorbs into the black foam carburetor floats, making them heavier which causes the fuel level in the float bowl to rise.
Bill

If you have a really accurate scale such as a triple beam balance you could weight some floats before and after an oven bake. Gasoline may absorb into the float so not sure how you would figure out if the alcohol was to blame or just the gasoline.

As an aside, my car broke down one time when the fuel pump failed. It was an electrical pump in the gas tank. Ordered up a new pump and pulled the old one out but upon reinstall I found the large O-ring for the pump was swelled up and couldn't be refit as is. Scratched my head and decided to bake the old O-ring in the oven for a while. Low and behold, 1 hour at 170F and the O-ring shrunk down to normal size and I was able to reinstall the pump.

One way I could think of would be to weigh a couple of used floats. Bake them. Reweigh them to see if they lost anything and then submerge one in alcohol diluted fuel and the other in non-alcohol fuel. The question might end up on how long they'd have to be exposed to the alcohol to absorb enough to measure the difference.
Good idea there on the baking Nessism.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2016 06:55 #738493 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic 10% Ethanol
I'm using the floats from my 28's. I'll get a set of these in time.
Steve
jetsrus.com/individual_parts/002_501_su.html

More
13 Aug 2016 08:27 - 13 Aug 2016 08:29 #738509 by loudhvx
Brass floats, so far, are the only ones I've seen disintegrating, usually in other brands, like Honda, which used brass floats in their Keihin carbs. I haven't seen any problem, yet, in Kz's using almost the same Keihin carbs, but with foam floats. Also, some of the other brass parts in 550 carbs are starting to show up in the forum as disintegrating, most notably the overflow tube. When it cracks, the carbs will never stop leaking. I'm not sure brass floats are a good idea. Alcohol is known to eat brass.

What brand carb does the Kz1300 use? Maybe Mikuni used a different type of foam?
Last edit: 13 Aug 2016 08:29 by loudhvx.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2016 09:09 #738513 by SWest
The brass floats in my 30 year old 33's were worn out at the pivots. One was filling up with fuel. I tried soldering it but no luck. I put the foam ones in and am running them now. They're 40+ years old and still work. The only thing I had to do was bend the stop on them so they would allow more fuel. ;)
Steve

More
13 Aug 2016 09:23 #738516 by loudhvx
Yeah, I'm not sure why some brass floats seem to just crumble, and some seem to work for years. Maybe the crumbling ones sat in ethanol for years, and some were drained for winter storage. Maybe different zinc content in the brass. Not sure. The crumbling ones I see mostly come out of old Honda 350's and 450's.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 Aug 2016 09:30 #738518 by SWest
I suspect vibration. The brass float in my 69 F250 kept leaking. I'd solder it but it would fail again. I could hear it slapping the side of the tank if it was low. Ordered a new one a year ago, no issues. B)
Steve

More
14 Aug 2016 06:41 #738616 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic 10% Ethanol

nitrokeeb wrote: I've certainly seen a lot gummed up fuel systems. I teach Auto Tech, and we can have cars that can go for years on a full tank of gas. Pulling in and out of the building doesn't use much gas. Ive seen misfires caused by plugged injectors, and I've seen a Hemi Dodge Magnum bend the push rods because the valves gummed up and would not move. But no one ever had a good explanation as to how ethanol causes it. A 20 year old bottle of scotch doesn't seem to be affected after opening, and it's 40% ethanol.

I was at an automotive instructors trade show last month, and there was a booth from another college who had done a study on ethanol in fuel. They ran three generators for hundreds of hours. One one ethanol free, on on e10, and one on e85. Guess which was the cleanest? The e85 engine had almost no carbon.

We got into a discussion on ethanol in fuel causing gumming. They mentioned that they had the gasoline analyzed. It turns out the regular grade e10 was swill! But it wasn't the ethanol that was the problem.

While renewable fuels are a worthy goal, that is not the only reason ethanol is used. It oxygenates the fuel and boosts octane. It replaces things like MTBE. The fact that it raises octane means that the gas companies can use lesser base fuels and not worry about it knocking. They found premium fuel with 10% ethanol to be much better.

I'm not claiming that ethanol doesn't cause any issues, but it's an interesting conversation. I would be curious how much less problems would be caused if we ran "top tier" fuel though our delicate carburetor passages...

Top Tier

+1
Todays gasoline is formulated to have a short shelf life. Here in Nebraska E10 has been around since the 70's and was called Gasahol back then. It was a midgrade fuel at a 91 octane rating. Back then fuel storage was not a problem. I have had no storage problems with what little E85 I had sitting around for like a year. For the last couple of years we have been "blessed" with 87 octane E10 for our cheapest grade fuel along with regular 87 and 91. And Nebraska is not the middle of the corn belt. Iowa produces way more corn.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0