10% Ethanol

More
03 Aug 2016 21:14 #737341 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 10% Ethanol
That alcohol crap fuel gums up much faster than pure gasoline. After plugging up the carbs on my garage queen GS1000 I bought a jug of Staybil and use it in my bikes and the fuel in my gas can. No issues since (knock on wood).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2016 21:31 #737346 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 10% Ethanol

SmokyOwl wrote: In my comings and goings, I've always used 91 octane (or higher) gas, and in my area that usually also means non-ethanol. Now if I were to go to an area that has 91 or higher octane, but also has that "up to 10% ethanol" crap in it...will I be OK to completely refill my tank? ?

That's all they sell in Kali. Been running it 35 years.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Aug 2016 21:33 #737347 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 10% Ethanol

swest wrote: None close by. It does tarnish new jets quickly I can tell you that. I'll bet the rubber parts will fail sooner.
Steve

My fuel pressure regulator failed on my Chevy at about 30k miles. Always wondered if the gasohol did it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
03 Aug 2016 22:27 - 04 Aug 2016 08:12 #737353 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic 10% Ethanol
Go to
Code:
pure-gas.org
click on your state and find out what gas stations near you sells alcohol free gas. :lol:

It seems more and more gas stations are selling it.look at Nebraska. The heart of corn country. They have quite the number listed. There are even a few pure gas stations in MA and CA.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 04 Aug 2016 08:12 by Z1Driver.

More
03 Aug 2016 22:44 #737355 by Barry2
Replied by Barry2 on topic 10% Ethanol
Conoco stations in N. Idaho has 91 octane no alcohol gas.

1976 KZ900

More
03 Aug 2016 23:56 #737358 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 10% Ethanol

bountyhunter wrote:

swest wrote: None close by. It does tarnish new jets quickly I can tell you that. I'll bet the rubber parts will fail sooner.
Steve

My fuel pressure regulator failed on my Chevy at about 30k miles. Always wondered if the gasohol did it.

Yeah, it's highly corrosive which is why I never rushed to do an E85 tune but when the electronics came out that allowed me to use the flex tune and switch between I think I'll be ok with that. Have to run special everything which is why I think engines may fail quicker as the rings and cylinder walls on the 85 percent part get the better of them and everything else. I'll probably just run that E85 fuel on the track or when I want a little extra power. Well more than a little extra. With my current tune I'm running 400hp and I should see about 50-60 extra ponies as a result.
Now to talk to bikes. In Brasil I smell the fast bikes running alcohol. I'm thinking E85 mix. It's big there. Maybe they will get it together and figure out how to run engines on pure alcohol to last. Would save our planet a bit of everything.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
04 Aug 2016 07:48 #737392 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic 10% Ethanol
Your really have a 2 part question...
Is there any reason to run higher octane and what are the risks of 10% ethanol.
The octane question depends on your bike and riding conditions. Higher compression or more timing advance will require higher octane to prevent detonation (pinging). More weight (passenger, gear, years of good food/beer) or long up hill pulls can also load the engine more, causing detonation with lower octane fuel. You can experiment with lower octanes until you detect pinging if you want to save some money at the pump. Higher octane will not give you any level of higher performance. However, I still run the highest I can find in my bikes. I don't burn hundreds gallons a year where I would see a significant savings. Waste of money or cheap insurance...you decide.
Ethanol is the bigger issue. It is more corrosive and leaves more evaporation residue, This can cause all sorts of issues, especially if the bike sits for extended period. I do two things to minimize the ethanol effects. I recently started using StaBil 360. It claims to provide a vapor corrosion protection above the fuel level. We''l see. Second, at the end of a rideday, I shut off the petcock and run the bike until it dies. This at least gets the fuel level below the jets and hopefully minimizes any corrosion or residue to the float bowl only. Running your bike with a tank full of Ethanol is not a major risk. Leaving it sit over the winter is a different story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
04 Aug 2016 09:08 #737398 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic 10% Ethanol
From my experience on my bike I've advanced the timing a tad and am running just a little rich. Around here the ratings are 85, 87, sometimes 89 and 91. I usually go the 87 route. The bike is lethargic w/85 and it doesn't want to start with 91. I guess I could tune it to 91 but I'm doing good with the mid-grade. Higher octane has a slower burn rate so it makes sense to advance a little.

I usually run my bike pretty regularly so i don't worry much about moisture absorbing in the gas. I do know it accelerates degradation of rubber based parts unless you buy very expensive E-proof components if they're available. I see that link shows Cardwell Dist has a E-free pump maybe I'll try them next tank. They're only about 3-4 miles from me and only slightly out of the way.

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
04 Aug 2016 09:28 #737399 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic 10% Ethanol
I was hinted a while back to keep Politics out of the KZ motorcycle forum. But!
YES! ethanol blend gas sucks! Period. Luckily the EPA did not follow the plan from current POTUS.
Read excerpt below. The United States Gov wants to mandate 15% ethanol! WTF???!!!

I help run a AA/Gas Nostalgia gasser race car, runs on Methanol and super charged. Fuel is very corrosive.
Fuel system always has to be drained completely while sitting longer than a few days.
But over the past here I always praised "Marvels Mystery Oil" 1 ounce to 5 gallons of fuel (recommended) I use 2 ounces!
My old vintage Harley shovelhead still has the soft valves seats from factory when leaded fuel was around. The lead lubricated the valve seats. I have changed vales once and pistons once since new. I was 2nd owner. I run .030 over forged Wiseco's. Put them in in 1989. Still tight and don't burn any oil!
But all vehicles can benifit from Marvels, I use it in lawn mower, snow blower all the motorcycles, 3 new vehicles I have owned.
And a little goes into the Gasser along with blower lube.
Marvels Mystery Oil! Just do it!!!!!!!
EPA VS. POTUS he wants 15%
The Obama administration backed off its so-called ethanol mandate Monday, dealing a blow to President Obama’s promise of a green energy revolution just as he and other world leaders opened a new round of historic climate change talks in Paris.
The Environmental Protection Agency’s latest round of ethanol mandates — known as the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) and initiated during President George W. Bush’s time in office — came under fire from all sides, with proponents of ethanol blending saying the rules fall far short of what the nation needs to continue cutting greenhouse gas emissions and from critics who say the entire system is flawed and must be scrapped.
The regulations call for at least 18.11 billion gallons of renewable fuels to be blended into the nation’s gasoline supply in 2016, significantly above the 17.4 billion gallons initially proposed earlier this year but far below the 22.3 billion-gallon requirement set by Congress in 2007 legislation.
Blending homegrown ethanol into gasoline, supporters say, helps reduce emissions and cut American dependence on foreign fuel. But the standards have run into practical problems, most notably the fact that most automobiles and gas stations aren’t equipped to handle fuel containing more than 10 percent ethanol — a problem commonly referred to as the “blend wall.”
Inability to overcome that blend wall is the main reason EPA has been unable to meet the congressionally mandated ethanol levels and, at this point, is essentially ignoring federal law.
Still, EPA says its most recent figures will require the blending of more than 10 percent ethanol into gasoline, and administration officials are confident that can be done.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
04 Aug 2016 13:08 #737416 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic 10% Ethanol
Another place to obtain ethanol free fuel (that is not often thought of) is any marina.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
04 Aug 2016 14:17 - 04 Aug 2016 14:18 #737422 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic 10% Ethanol
You want to look for gasoline labeled as follows...

Attachment 037[1].JPG not found

Common in ND and MN, may be available in WI too, look for it near lakes....

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Aug 2016 14:18 by Tyler.

More
04 Aug 2016 14:44 #737426 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic 10% Ethanol

bluezbike wrote: Another place to obtain ethanol free fuel (that is not often thought of) is any marina.

Sounds pricey.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200