Z1000mk2 Exhaust port damage around valve guide

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2016 09:31 #726157 by SWest
They should be the same. Try getting a cover on eBay. The one you have won't work anyway but that leaves the wiring. :unsure:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: nuwonder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2016 10:45 #726179 by zed1015

nuwonder wrote: Are the needle bearing etc stuff basically still same or any differences there?

The mk2 crank is fatter so if you need the roller bearing etc it all has to be for the MK2.
The earlier stuff won't fit as standard.
Sound like the PO either fitted the MK2 starter clutch to the early modified rotor or modified the early starter clutch too.
Wiring wise it's the same so just the 3 yellow phase wires in any order you like .

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
13 May 2016 11:53 #726201 by nuwonder
Okay thanks guys. Just so happy that the battle with the rotor is over.

I guess it's pretty clear now: PO fitted older rotor to mk2 crank by force, miracles, some mechanical work and voodoo magic and replaced the cover so everything fitted inside. But what I can say from the visual looks of the stator and rotor, they did not actually fit clearance-wise after all this work, and rotor grinded to the stator and as my regulator showed weird readings, it got snuffed in the process? Finally my Boyer ignition gave up after all this. Just lucky that my expensive Shorai lithium battery is still ok.

I'll do some searching for the parts and will return here to confirm with you guys that the parts actually will fit :) Thanks again for all the help, as this is my first Kawasaki, everything is new so it's good to have help. This is where internet is really good :)

-Sami

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2016 12:07 #726205 by SWest
Yeah you were thrown a curve. Next time ask for help before you get into trouble. That was scary. :blink:
Steve

More
13 May 2016 12:48 #726214 by nuwonder
I'll sure do :) In retrospect, i think no puller or ball bearing or anything would've gotten that rotor off as it was fitted wrong. Don't know, just feel that way now :)

-Sami

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
13 May 2016 13:03 #726215 by SWest
Yeah, it was spun welded for sure. CAVE MAN IN ACTION. :woohoo: When I did it in the late 70's, the people in the apartment building thought I was nuts. Pulled it off though and ran without one for a month until I could get a new one. Had to charge it overnight each day so I could go to work. Kick starter was a must have and noticed extra grunt off the line.I found out the hard way why they ran without one in racing. B)
Steve

More
13 May 2016 16:15 #726237 by car5car
Maybe this info will be useful:
I installed rotor,stator and cover from 81 KZ1000J on my 80 KZ1000E.
All "newer" parts were bigger.
It is possible that 81 parts are twice cheaper.
BTW I had 14V at idle.
As far as I know there are 3 types of rotors (and stators, covers):
aluminum -78(?)
smaller 79-80(?) type
bigger 80-up
Same year different models KZ1000 had different types of rotors

96 Yamaha Royal Star
82 Yamaha Virago 920

More
17 May 2016 06:10 #726946 by nuwonder
Okay yeah it seems that the exact rotor for -79-80 MK2 was different than earlier and also different from what came after it. I can't seem to find any suitable rotors for the mk2, everything is either for earlier/later models.

So the -81 might be ok? I asked from Z Power about the Electrex R03 pattern rotor which is supposed to fit in J models but they said it won't fit. So there's no replacement rotor available from there. Stators are available however for reasonable price.

Damn, the thing is really hard to find. I found the cover from Sweden though and am currently bidding on it :)

-Sami

More
17 May 2016 07:04 #726957 by nuwonder
Okay the model number for the original rotor seems to be 21007-1011, I digged through some old threads and found also some old ebay sale items with same rotor and they stated it is also mk2 rotor. Now just have to find one or a pattern version of this.

-Sami

More
30 Jun 2016 10:45 #733387 by nuwonder
Hi again, thought to throw in a little update :)

Certainly took some effort but it was rewareded: found used rotor from Australia and new cover from Sweden :D Wasn't actually cheap but considering what new rotor would've been, i'm more than pleased.

Rotor came with nice condition starter clutch, roller bearing, seals+shims and starter clutch gear so it really was a lucky find for me.

Gotta give special mention to the Australian rotor seller, whose name was Michael Degoursat or something like that. He was super nice and included a dvd with the rotor which was packed with pictures and articles on bikes he has worked on plus more. Mentioned that he's a mechanic and surely sounded like one too.

The project moves forward!

-Sami
Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2016 05:23 #733928 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Z1000mk2 Exhaust port damage around valve guide
progress! :evil:

keep us posted,

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0