Z1000mk2 Exhaust port damage around valve guide

More
30 Mar 2016 12:51 #718278 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Z1000mk2 Exhaust port damage around valve guide
it has the correct later model counter shaft cover on it tho :whistle: .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Mar 2016 12:55 #718279 by SWest
That's true but from what I could see, that's a early head. Franken Bike?
Steve

More
30 Mar 2016 13:42 - 30 Mar 2016 13:47 #718292 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Z1000mk2 Exhaust port damage around valve guide
better look at that again steve .

circled in red

it is the square ended casting from 79-80.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 13:47 by 531blackbanshee.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Mar 2016 13:48 #718294 by SWest
You're right. Had to save it then blow it up to see it clearly. :whistle:
Steve

More
30 Mar 2016 13:53 #718297 by PLUMMEN

531blackbanshee wrote: it has the correct later model counter shaft cover on it tho :whistle: .

leon

Its got a little of this and a little of that,not a big deal. :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
30 Mar 2016 13:55 #718299 by PLUMMEN

nuwonder wrote: Hmm what do you mean, how can you tell it's different crank? :D

Ive got espn! :woohoo:
That stator cover doesnt work with the mkII style crankshafts. :)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Mar 2016 13:58 #718300 by SWest
Attachments:

More
01 Apr 2016 15:31 #718742 by nuwonder
Hey again guys, thought to post a little update as i got some more questions :)

I checked the cylinder head and it had no cracks, so I'm "safe" there. Gonna use it as it is, valve guides are not moving so all i gotta do is lap, put proper valve guide seals and rebuild the head and recheck for leaks. Not yet decided on the new rings for pistons, though.

I dug a little deeper to the alternator department, 'cos that old style cover thing you said got me thinking. Now I'm a bit bummed 'cos I found my stator was totally mangled and rotor didn't look too good either. Might explain why I had the digitial ignition meltdown. I'll include the pics below.

So stator had damage all around, deep worn grooves. Rotor was a bit better, it just has metal shavings from the stator in the pic so it looks worse than it is. I don't get why it has this kind of damage though? The difference between the pre 79 Z1000 and the MK2 alternator you pointed out got me thinking can it be possible that previous owner rebuilt older style alternator setup with rotor, stator and new cover to newer mk2 crank and that's why it didn't have proper clearance? Can it even be done? Or is that crank indeed from older KZ1000 and there is some other reason why the stator got crapped?

The electrics in the bike look terrible almost all around anyways , so many wires had worn all the way to the copper insides and rubbed to casings etc. I'm amazed it ran as good as it did.

So, what's the next move? I know I gotta replace the stator but how about the rotor? And how can I check I indeed have the old crank or new crank so I know what stuff I have to start looking for?

-Sami
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Apr 2016 15:50 #718748 by SWest
Looks like a early KZ 1000 rotor. The stator doesn't look too bad but you might be right. What kind of cam chain do you have? That will tell you. Pics?
Steve

More
01 Apr 2016 16:10 #718756 by nuwonder
Hmm only pic of camchain i have now is this. I can get better pic later if this doesn't tell anything.

-Sami
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Apr 2016 16:38 #718762 by SWest
That's a early motor. The alternator is correct.Pic of the clutch side?
Steve

More
01 Apr 2016 21:45 #718804 by PLUMMEN

nuwonder wrote: Hey again guys, thought to post a little update as i got some more questions :)

I checked the cylinder head and it had no cracks, so I'm "safe" there. Gonna use it as it is, valve guides are not moving so all i gotta do is lap, put proper valve guide seals and rebuild the head and recheck for leaks. Not yet decided on the new rings for pistons, though.

I dug a little deeper to the alternator department, 'cos that old style cover thing you said got me thinking. Now I'm a bit bummed 'cos I found my stator was totally mangled and rotor didn't look too good either. Might explain why I had the digitial ignition meltdown. I'll include the pics below.

So stator had damage all around, deep worn grooves. Rotor was a bit better, it just has metal shavings from the stator in the pic so it looks worse than it is. I don't get why it has this kind of damage though? The difference between the pre 79 Z1000 and the MK2 alternator you pointed out got me thinking can it be possible that previous owner rebuilt older style alternator setup with rotor, stator and new cover to newer mk2 crank and that's why it didn't have proper clearance? Can it even be done? Or is that crank indeed from older KZ1000 and there is some other reason why the stator got crapped?

The electrics in the bike look terrible almost all around anyways , so many wires had worn all the way to the copper insides and rubbed to casings etc. I'm amazed it ran as good as it did.

So, what's the next move? I know I gotta replace the stator but how about the rotor? And how can I check I indeed have the old crank or new crank so I know what stuff I have to start looking for?

Count the teeth on your cam sprockets,30 teeth is the old style small pin crank.
32 teeth is the 79-80 mkII big pin crank,although a big center pin can be added to an old style crank if a person really wanted to spend the money on it. ;)