KZ Turbo Usage History

More
15 Aug 2013 13:32 #601567 by NakedFun
KZ Turbo Usage History was created by NakedFun
All,

Looking at possibly doing a turbo. Was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to share the model of turbo (Manufacturer and Frame Size) that they are using along with any comments on engine usage and modifications. I am a former turbo charger engineer and trying to get a general idea of what families to start with so I can start running breathing lines, swallowing curves, etc... I'll need to narrow my search so I can get both compressor maps and turbine maps. Any information would be appreciated.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 Aug 2013 13:55 #601568 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
I would ask Les Holt what he just installed on his custom turbo build.
Or call Mr Turbo in Houston TX, Owner is Terry Kizer.
Good Luck
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
15 Aug 2013 14:18 #601570 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
Thanks Dave.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
15 Aug 2013 18:05 #601594 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
The Rajay f40 was the turbo of choice for all the bolt on kits ATP/MR TURBO and the Z1R TC back in the day but are rare now in good nick as the plain bearing and exhaust impellers are like gold dust especially the 'F' flow stuff.
Mr Turbo now use Garret roller bearing units now and a lot of info is on their site.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
15 Aug 2013 23:01 #601628 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
B) B) B) :P :P :P :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I got a turrrbbbbbboooooooo!

That's how it feels every time I turn the key!

PM me for details, I will tell you this, I chose a different path than most on this one and have zero regrets!

Les

More
16 Aug 2013 08:04 #601656 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
Les, You should share some of that info with the rest of us. I would like to turbo mine someday also.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
16 Aug 2013 10:07 #601669 by les holt
I'm running a little more than normal compression and a little smaller turbo than normal. Turbo is a T25, have to look at trim numbers, It's a Mr Turbo head pipe and wrap around modded with a T25 flange and also to take a 39mm precision turbos wastegate. Intake is an old ATP piece and the carb is an HRS42 prepared by mr turbo.
I'm running 10# boost right now with timing at 36 deg and not retarding it at all, running on 93 pump gas. Head is a KZ heavily ported and larger valves in it, 38mm intake and 31 exhaust. Also have the 84 GPZ cams in it.
I don't think this combo is ideal for big hp but for street riding it's great. Smooth power, doesn't hit as hard as the bigger turbo stuff does but at the 10# boost it pulls way harder. Comes on around 5,000 rpm.
My theory is, boost is a measurement of restriction, less restriction and the same amount of boost means way more airflow, more airflow, more horsepower. All that without the added heat involved it would take to make it with restrictions and adding the necessary boost to achieve the same amount of power.
This motor is almost 9 to 1 compression, the other one I'm working on is a 10.5 to 1 with a GPZ head and cams in a 1260 configuration. That one should prove to be a handful even at 10# on the street.

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee, Street Fighter LTD

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
16 Aug 2013 11:03 #601674 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
Wait till everyone sees how you got her all ready for the Moto GP weekend events :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
16 Aug 2013 12:48 #601692 by NakedFun
True. Boost if the air you're NOT using. The other nice thing about your combo, is port velocity is not so critical, so hogging out the ports will not kill low speed cylinder filling like it would on a NA motor. The tighter turbo is fine especially for spool up and as long as drive pressure is not too excessive in the exhaust side, no reason to change to a larger turbo. Looking at T25's on fleabay and CL. Looking for something that will look right.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
16 Aug 2013 13:19 #601696 by les holt
A big plus with the T25 is the physical size, much easier to fit in the chassis and looks more proportioned to the size of the motor.

Les

More
16 Aug 2013 15:20 #601713 by NakedFun
Les,

That is helpful. I am actually planning on doing a blow through system and hang the turbo up front. We'll see if this pans out...

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
16 Aug 2013 17:01 #601728 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
You guys are gonna have to quit talking all about these turbo setups, or i think i might have to find a new place to live. Cuz when the old lady gets home and realizes what i bought she would probably leave me lol.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now