KZ Turbo Usage History

More
25 Aug 2013 14:47 - 25 Aug 2013 14:49 #603008 by turboking
Replied by turboking on topic KZ Turbo Usage History

NakedFun wrote: Agreed. As long as you take your time a check your specs like compressor nut torque and axial/ radial play very simple to build. One word of caution is to buy parts from reputable sources as if you buy some off brand suppliers you can get spare parts that are not zero balanced and have to balance them as an assembly afterwards which take some specialized equipment and skills.

Cory

I've always handled my own rebuilds on the rayjays b and f series and garrett's...... :whistle: it's not brain surgery you just need to get a manual and watch clearances :pinch:

2005 Kawasaki mean streak
2000 325 H.P. mcXpress turbo Hayabusa
1979 kz 1000 mk II ATP turbo
1975 Z1 960 cc Mr. Turbo
1975 Z1 1428 big block ATP turbo
1976 Kz900 1103 cc ATP turbo
1985 GS 1150E
1983 GS 1100E
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2001 Kawasaki EX 500 Ninja
1972 Honda cb750 (836cc turbo)
Last edit: 25 Aug 2013 14:49 by turboking.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2013 16:56 #603022 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic KZ Turbo Usage History

Lorcan wrote:

NakedFun wrote: All,

Looking at possibly doing a turbo. Was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to share the model of turbo (Manufacturer and Frame Size) that they are using along with any comments on engine usage and modifications. I am a former turbo charger engineer and trying to get a general idea of what families to start with so I can start running breathing lines, swallowing curves, etc... I'll need to narrow my search so I can get both compressor maps and turbine maps. Any information would be appreciated.

Cory

Turbobygarrett.com have an excellent turbo configurator program. My first question to you would be how much power do you want to make and what will the intended use be? Street only? I ran a T25 on my 810cc bike for a while, it was great for the street and made 196hp at 23psi but that was it's limit. It made no more power at 30psi. For the street now I'd probably be looking at the GT range, the GT2056 is an excellent little performer.

I agree with Lorcan, if I was turboing a bike Garret GT's and HKS GT's (inconel turbine wheel and ball bearing turbos) would be the only turbo's I would consider in a bike build. If money wasn't an issue, HKS for sure, if I wanted the middle ground for cost I would go with the Garrett GT.

For a motorcycle you would greatly benefit from the advantages of the quicker spooling of the ball bearing turbos IMO.

www.hks-power.co.jp/usa/categories/Pid=1092_more.html

A little advice for boosted bikes, the original owner of my bike stated most of the tuning of getting the SC to perform optimally was in the cams he said. He tried several sets and quite a bit of time till he got it right. The bike still kickstarts 2-4 kicks cold. :)

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

More
25 Aug 2013 18:41 #603037 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
Sorry to interrupt you turbo guys. Wich garret turbo would replace the original hitachi ht-10b of the gpz750 turbo? Yhe smallest garret gt15 series is oil and water cooled...and we do not have water there.

Thanks in advance.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
25 Aug 2013 19:01 #603040 by 750steve
Replied by 750steve on topic KZ Turbo Usage History

undiablo wrote: Sorry to interrupt you turbo guys. Wich garret turbo would replace the original hitachi ht-10b of the gpz750 turbo? Yhe smallest garret gt15 series is oil and water cooled...and we do not have water there.

Thanks in advance.

You don't HAVE to oil or water cool them, its an option, most dont

07 ZX6R Race Bike
1977 Z750 B2 Twin
1976 Z650 B1
The following user(s) said Thank You: undiablo

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
26 Aug 2013 01:19 #603088 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
I have never hurt a rayjay but has anyone ever heard of an upgrade compressor wheel for them?

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled

More
26 Aug 2013 08:54 #603108 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic KZ Turbo Usage History

Hollywoodmx wrote:

Lorcan wrote:

NakedFun wrote: All,

Looking at possibly doing a turbo. Was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to share the model of turbo (Manufacturer and Frame Size) that they are using along with any comments on engine usage and modifications. I am a former turbo charger engineer and trying to get a general idea of what families to start with so I can start running breathing lines, swallowing curves, etc... I'll need to narrow my search so I can get both compressor maps and turbine maps. Any information would be appreciated.

Cory

Turbobygarrett.com have an excellent turbo configurator program. My first question to you would be how much power do you want to make and what will the intended use be? Street only? I ran a T25 on my 810cc bike for a while, it was great for the street and made 196hp at 23psi but that was it's limit. It made no more power at 30psi. For the street now I'd probably be looking at the GT range, the GT2056 is an excellent little performer.

I agree with Lorcan, if I was turboing a bike Garret GT's and HKS GT's (inconel turbine wheel and ball bearing turbos) would be the only turbo's I would consider in a bike build. If money wasn't an issue, HKS for sure, if I wanted the middle ground for cost I would go with the Garrett GT.

For a motorcycle you would greatly benefit from the advantages of the quicker spooling of the ball bearing turbos IMO.

www.hks-power.co.jp/usa/categories/Pid=1092_more.html

A little advice for boosted bikes, the original owner of my bike stated most of the tuning of getting the SC to perform optimally was in the cams he said. He tried several sets and quite a bit of time till he got it right. The bike still kickstarts 2-4 kicks cold. :)

Yes and no... We did extensive testing on ball bearing turbos vs standard hyrdo-dynamic journal bearings as our competitors had started to come out with them as they were all the rage (and still are). We found that the mass of the rotational assembly was more crucial to spool time and trim / A/R vs the bearing that was used. In fact the time to a given RPM from idle speed was negligible at best. The ball bearings do, however have no dampening affect with the turbine bearing like they do with the hydrodynamic journal bearing and thus typically require rebuild much earlier than a properly cared for turbo. Now due to the mileage these bikes see, probable not an issue, but paying the price for a premium ball bearing turbo ins't worth the price tag difference to me.

Also you are hard pressed to NOT find a turbo with Iconel Turbine wheel. About the only readily available alloy, that can be cost effectively manufactured to handle the temperatures and centrifugal forces that a 130,000 rpm turbo in this frame size sees...

Also, there really are four turbo manufacturers around anymore as the majority have been bought up. They are Garret (Honeywell), Borg Warner, Holset (Cummins Turbo Technologies), and IHI - Mitsubishi. Most of the aftermarket companies like HKS, Turbonetics, etc... buy components from these larger manufacturers and either buy the parts outright and assemble or maybe to the machining on some of the components. To cast and create parts with the intricacy of wheels, etc... take major manufacturing investment which they do not have. Plus why, when they can just buy it from someone who has! :)

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
26 Aug 2013 08:56 #603109 by NakedFun

undiablo wrote: Sorry to interrupt you turbo guys. Wich garret turbo would replace the original hitachi ht-10b of the gpz750 turbo? Yhe smallest garret gt15 series is oil and water cooled...and we do not have water there.

Thanks in advance.

If you contact your nearest turbo dealer for Garret or call Garret's tech line, and provide them the model and serial number of the turbo in question, they can find you a range of non-watercooled turbine housing that fit that trim of turbine wheel and bearing housing.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
26 Aug 2013 10:39 #603121 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
There is no direct bolt-on replacement for the Hitachi HT10b. The closest replacement is a GT12 or GT15, run without water, but the flanges on both are different to the Hitachi so there will be a little fabrication involved. Both these turbos are wayyyy better than the Hitachi though.

Rajays are cool and work well on bikes (I ran my 8 second quarters with a F-flow Rajay) and they are narrow, so good for adding a carb on a draw-through setup , and can be carbon-sealed easily. But they are an old on-centre design and parts can be hard to come by.

On our dragbike we use even newer GTX series turbos. They flow so much air with so little exhaust only 25% of the exhaust energy is needed to spool them up. I know of a Pro-street dragbike that made 24psi with the wastegate removed with one of these turbos :laugh:. We have to run a 66mm diameter wastegate to control these bad boys!

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
26 Aug 2013 23:54 #603258 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
[/quote]

Also, there really are four turbo manufacturers around anymore as the majority have been bought up. They are Garret (Honeywell), Borg Warner, Holset (Cummins Turbo Technologies), and IHI - Mitsubishi. Most of the aftermarket companies like HKS, Turbonetics, etc... buy components from these larger manufacturers and either buy the parts outright and assemble or maybe to the machining on some of the components. To cast and create parts with the intricacy of wheels, etc... take major manufacturing investment which they do not have. Plus why, when they can just buy it from someone who has! :)

Cory[/quote]

Do you know who makes the turbos for the kubota diesels? I have looked at some of the small turbos on our equpiment before but cant remember right now. But could any of those be used as possiblities?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
27 Aug 2013 01:23 - 27 Aug 2013 01:24 #603277 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic KZ Turbo Usage History

NakedFun wrote:

Cory

Yup I'm not even sure HKS makes a right sized turbo for a kz 1k but it would be the first place I would look if it was my money. There is a level of quality engineering in their designs that surpass the big guys. Whether one thinks its worth the price difference is up to the individual, if found used it gets much more reasonable.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary
Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 01:24 by Hollywoodmx.

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
28 Aug 2013 01:17 #603448 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
Heard nothing but good about Precision Turbo, in Indiana I think.

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled

More
28 Aug 2013 08:28 #603468 by NakedFun

Powerstroke_fan wrote:

Cory[/quote]

Do you know who makes the turbos for the kubota diesels? I have looked at some of the small turbos on our equpiment before but cant remember right now. But could any of those be used as possiblities?[/quote]

Sorry I missed this, but I believe they are using IHI (Mitsubishi). I can check at work today as we use a fair amount of Kubota diesels in our smaller power generation product. You could probable find a good match out of their larger diesels.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900