KZ Turbo Usage History

More
16 Aug 2013 19:25 #601750 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
Do you guys know if it is possible to run a turbo setup on a KZ750 with keihin CV34 carbs? I still don't want to go fuel injection. I presume I will have to rejet carbs right?

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2013 23:48 #601776 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
CV carbs will need to have a pressurized plenum in order to work properly. It would take some work, but the ZRX1100/1200 guys with the Keihin CVK36's do it all the time. Even with mechanical slides the pressure plenum is required for blow through due fuel bowl venting.

Stroker Fan,

What did you buy....?

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900
The following user(s) said Thank You: undiablo

More
17 Aug 2013 09:42 #601814 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
Here's my setup. The turbo was initially installed on the bike by a previous owner around 1980. Since then the engine has been apart and refreshed / improved.
  • RayJay 370 turbo with ATP manifold and spider pipe.
  • 1200cc Wiseco 8:1 turbo pistons.
  • Welded crank.
  • Stock cams with slotted cam sprockets.
  • 31mm exhaust valves (stock is 30mm). 36mm (stock) intake valves.
  • Heavy Duty main bearing and cylinder studs.
  • The oil pump was modified to move the pickup to the bottom of the deep sump oil pan, and to optimize the flow (the pump case halves were lapped to improve the performance).
  • MRE lock-up clutch with OEM-Style clutch plates and springs - this was after battling very heavy clutch springs and an extra disk clutch for a couple of years - it was killing my wrist and giving harsh control pulling away.
  • Liska idler sprockets and tensioner assembly with a Tsubaki HD cam chain.
  • The cylinder head gasket surface is ringed with piano wire.
  • Dyna 2000 ignition hooked up to a boost sensor triggering the retard settings.
  • HSR 42 carb fed by a 3-4 psi fuel pump
  • Extra breather ports on the valve cover.
  • Air/fuel sensor on the spider pipe and a readout on the handlebars.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
17 Aug 2013 10:49 #601824 by NakedFun
Very Nice Jeff. I know the RayJays were popular back in the day, but when RayJay got bought out, the name and alot of info like comp maps are hard to find. Who O'Ring'd you head?

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
17 Aug 2013 13:28 - 17 Aug 2013 15:15 #601843 by Jeff.Saunders
The wire ring was already done when I bought the bike.

I don't have any performance info on the RayJay - but I do have an original service document.

Here's a PDF copy. RayJay Manual

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Last edit: 17 Aug 2013 15:15 by Jeff.Saunders.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
17 Aug 2013 13:56 #601846 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
Joe at Pitstop can do the wire ring. Mine is in the block, When he fitted my MTC pistons he put new wire in the block for me.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Aug 2013 14:04 #601848 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic KZ Turbo Usage History

Jeff.Saunders wrote: Here's my setup. The turbo was initially installed on the bike by a previous owner around 1980. Since then the engine has been apart and refreshed / improved.

• Welded crank.
  • The oil pump was modified to move the pickup to the bottom of the deep sump oil pan, and to optimize the flow (the pump case halves were lapped to improve the performance).
  • MRE lock-up clutch with OEM-Style clutch plates and springs - this was after battling very heavy clutch springs and an extra disk clutch for a couple of years - it was killing my wrist and giving harsh control pulling away.
  • Dyna 2000 ignition hooked up to a boost sensor triggering the retard settings.

Somebody else realized the advantages of spending time/money on exhuast side of a cylinder head for a turbo motor.
When I suggested this many times on here in the past I was told I didnt know what I was talking about ,It seems somebody else has had good luck fooling a smaller cylinder head into thinking its more efficient with oversize exhuast valves/stock size intakes since the exhuast side is what gets that turbo spooling.
That turbo doesnt care so much what the intake valve size is,its force feeding it.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
17 Aug 2013 14:11 #601850 by NakedFun
That is true to a point. Too much turbo or not enough intake port volume can lead to excessive intake tract pressure which can work against the turbo causing a surge. You are correct on the exhaust as most N/A engine application are most efficient at a exhaust valve to intake valve size percentage of 70-76% typically. On a turbo charged application where the thermal energy cause exhaust gas expansion that is mostly regulated by the swallowing capacity of the turbine housing/wheel combination can find gains of an additional 5-10% of Ex/In size increase with corresponding port work.

Cory

1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

More
17 Aug 2013 15:29 #601853 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic KZ Turbo Usage History

NakedFun wrote: CV carbs will need to have a pressurized plenum in order to work properly. It would take some work, but the ZRX1100/1200 guys with the Keihin CVK36's do it all the time. Even with mechanical slides the pressure plenum is required for blow through due fuel bowl venting.

Stroker Fan,

What did you buy....?

Cory

Nothing yet, but iam really temped if i come across the right deal.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
17 Aug 2013 19:30 - 17 Aug 2013 19:32 #601891 by Jeff.Saunders

wireman wrote: Somebody else realized the advantages of spending time/money on exhaust side of a cylinder head for a turbo motor.
When I suggested this many times on here in the past I was told I didn't know what I was talking about ,It seems somebody else has had good luck fooling a smaller cylinder head into thinking its more efficient with oversize exhaust valves/stock size intakes since the exhaust side is what gets that turbo spooling.
That turbo doesn't care so much what the intake valve size is its force feeding it.

The person that helped me understand turbochargers was Frank Davis (Fast Frank) of Powerhouse Motorcycles on Long Island. I stuck with his recommendations. He has a turbocharged KZ1000 with NOS that's run 190+ mph in the flying mile - all without a fairing. His business specializes in turbo bikes.

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Last edit: 17 Aug 2013 19:32 by Jeff.Saunders. Reason: add
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
17 Aug 2013 20:36 - 17 Aug 2013 21:09 #601900 by crh
Replied by crh on topic KZ Turbo Usage History

wireman wrote:

Jeff.Saunders wrote: Here's my setup. The turbo was initially installed on the bike by a previous owner around 1980. Since then the engine has been apart and refreshed / improved.

• Welded crank.

Somebody else realized the advantages of spending time/money on exhuast side of a cylinder head for a turbo motor.
When I suggested this many times on here in the past I was told I didnt know what I was talking about ,It seems somebody else has had good luck fooling a smaller cylinder head into thinking its more efficient with oversize exhuast valves/stock size intakes since the exhuast side is what gets that turbo spooling.
That turbo doesnt care so much what the intake valve size is,its force feeding it.

kzrider.com/forum/9-chit-chat/588431-wireman-read-this

That stuff is old school thinking. There's more to making power than spooling up the turbo. But, then again, you have to know how to grind on the Inside of the head rather than the fins :lol:

Zmax Turbo Head

Attachment l3.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Aug 2013 21:09 by crh.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
17 Aug 2013 22:48 #601915 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic KZ Turbo Usage History
Thats cosmetic stuff there sunshine,that head was already ported. :whistle:
Some people actually pay attention to details.
Yeah thats old school thinking on the turbo head porting,but heres a news flash it actually works really good.
I think the picture of Jeffs friends bike proves that point with what its capable of. ;)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.