How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

More
18 Jul 2012 07:09 #536715 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
its all about NADS some great drugs some boat anchors & much better than Where do I plug in clutch cable :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2012 08:05 #536720 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
Naddy, we've missed ya, glad to see you back.... B)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
18 Jul 2012 09:02 #536726 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
[quote="nads.com" post=53671410's? I get your point. I'd put this bike up against a zl 1000 or v65 any time.

[/quote]

I hate to shatter rose tinted glasses with facts. Well, not really :evil: AFIK, only PeeWee Gleason managed to get the old Magna into the 10s, and not by much. The Eliminator wasn't any quicker. Both had torque, however, and long wheelbases. So for average Joe, they would both outrun an R6. For a little while, at least. But for a drag racer, the R6 would win. Every time. Without breaking a sweat. Heck, even the 1995 Ninja 600 went a tenth quicker through the traps than the V65 Magna. The Sabre was slower, for some reason. And second year Magnas slower still.

Other than that, Naddy - do you read Norwegian? Sadly, I doubt it, but your writing reminds me of a local bloke (and I will not mention that he rides a Harley) which makes for enjoyable reading. Way out in space, but a totally different way of thinking that makes it stand out and be worth while reading B)

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
18 Jul 2012 09:36 #536728 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

wireman wrote:

Attachment imagesCA31LHIA.jpg not found

But Id walk right past it any day of the week to go for a sideways ride down the track in this 1 which is way cooler in my book ! B) B) B) B) B)

That pic of the '55 Chevy instantly transported me back to the late 60's. The guy that owned a local gas station had one nearly identical except for the writing that he raced B/Gas. It would fly. On one really rare occasion he put it on the street to whip a bigmouth's butt. The bigmouth had a nice new shiny GTO that he kept bragging would blow away "grandpa's old Chevy." Well the GTO was fast, but it looked like it was standing still when Jim opened up that '55. And the sound from those headers was pure music! Those really were the days!

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Jul 2012 09:40 #536729 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

faffi wrote: [quote="nads.com" post=53671410's? I get your point. I'd put this bike up against a zl 1000 or v65 any time.

I hate to shatter rose tinted glasses with facts. Well, not really :evil: AFIK, only PeeWee Gleason managed to get the old Magna into the 10s, and not by much. The Eliminator wasn't any quicker. Both had torque, however, and long wheelbases. So for average Joe, they would both outrun an R6. For a little while, at least. But for a drag racer, the R6 would win. Every time. Without breaking a sweat. Heck, even the 1995 Ninja 600 went a tenth quicker through the traps than the V65 Magna. The Sabre was slower, for some reason. And second year Magnas slower still.

Other than that, Naddy - do you read Norwegian? Sadly, I doubt it, but your writing reminds me of a local bloke (and I will not mention that he rides a Harley) which makes for enjoyable reading. Way out in space, but a totally different way of thinking that makes it stand out and be worth while reading B)[/quote]
Like Ive always said It depends on whos holding the knife at the gun fight! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
18 Jul 2012 09:44 #536731 by wireman

650ed wrote:

wireman wrote:

But Id walk right past it any day of the week to go for a sideways ride down the track in this 1 which is way cooler in my book ! B) B) B) B) B)

That pic of the '55 Chevy instantly transported me back to the late 60's. The guy that owned a local gas station had one nearly identical except for the writing that he raced B/Gas. It would fly. On one really rare occasion he put it on the street to whip a bigmouth's butt. The bigmouth had a nice new shiny GTO that he kept bragging would blow away "grandpa's old Chevy." Well the GTO was fast, but it looked like it was standing still when Jim opened up that '55. And the sound from those headers was pure music! Those really were the days!

Yeah of all the 4 wheeled projects Ive ammassed over the years Ive got 3 55 chevys that Id like to get atleast one done before I kick off! B)
I was all psyched about working on 1 of them a couple years ago but fixing everybody elses electrical/hvac/plumbing issues seems to eat up all my spare time especially this time of year! :sick:
But I still have visions of a 484" 409 chevy in one of my sedans turned retro gasser! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
18 Jul 2012 09:51 #536732 by wireman
Ive even got my color picked out,just imagine it with a tube front axle and a set of old torque thrust wheels! giggitty giggitty

Attachment DSC01283.jpg not found

B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

Attachments:

More
18 Jul 2012 13:27 #536786 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

wireman wrote:

Attachment 2005CorvetteredTim20004.jpg not found

Yeah sure its cool in its own way I guess! :sick:

Speaking as one who has experienced both worlds, nothing from the old muscle car days holds a candle to a modern vette.

My 10 GS will run 12:6 115 mph all day long, then leave the track and drive clear across the country in comfort and getting 26 mpg.

More
18 Jul 2012 13:41 #536790 by peter1958
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
18 Jul 2012 15:33 - 18 Jul 2012 15:34 #536823 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
Here's a cool one. ZX550A carb inlet. Fast forward to 3:30.

If you watch the whole thing, you will notice that for most cruising, the slide is all the way at the bottom. You can see the throttle movement in the that rectangular piece to the right of the carb opening.

Last edit: 18 Jul 2012 15:34 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: faffi

More
18 Jul 2012 15:49 #536826 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

wireman wrote: Ive even got my color picked out,just imagine it with a tube front axle and a set of old torque thrust wheels! giggitty giggitty

Attachment DSC01283.jpg not found

B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

Cannot argue with that color! :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
18 Jul 2012 22:36 #536904 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

Old Man Rock wrote: Larry is now known as "Larry's Additives".... :blink:

:woohoo: I was trying to get Otto out of hiding with that post Dave...... The real secret is in the coil mod :ohmy:

Larry C.