How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2012 17:22 #536602 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
this was a badazz thread, had some gr8 stuff. wow did that engine have some throtle responce......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2012 17:32 #536604 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

mtkawboy wrote: Sneaky way to slip in a free commericial if you ask me. Youll need a lot more then that to get by the new 110 hp plus 600s with a stock KZ1000

HUH?

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
17 Jul 2012 17:40 #536608 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
Amen Les B)
My old Turbo Nitrous Kaw turns way more heads and starts more conversations than any new R anything.
I think of the new fast sport bike as being like a new Viper.
Where as my Kaw is like a 426 Hemi Cuda
OLD SCHOOL RULES :evil:

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
17 Jul 2012 18:15 #536614 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
The only thing my kz does better than my gsxr is turn heads, and haul fat chicks!:woohoo: its a crap load more comfy though. As far as acceleration, top speed, handling, braking, fuel mileage, and all other "measurable" traits, gsxr takes it! Good thing there isn't a coolness scale, or they would jack up the price of a Harley another 10 grand:lol:

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

• lemo32
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
More
17 Jul 2012 21:23 #536644 by lemo32
Replied by lemo32 on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
Kz is old technology, will never compete with modern sports bike, no amount of tuning or money will ever change that, It was the hottest bike back in the day, but that day has come and gone. Thats why I like em, because the technology is with in my skill level, tear down and rebuild, no problem, like an old chevy or ford a timeless classic.

1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Jul 2012 00:38 #536689 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

Attachment 2005CorvetteredTim20004.jpg not found

Yeah sure its cool in its own way I guess! :sick:

Attachment imagesCA31LHIA.jpg not found

But Id walk right past it any day of the week to go for a sideways ride down the track in this 1 which is way cooler in my book ! B) B) B) B) B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
18 Jul 2012 01:48 #536694 by Orange79KZ
Replied by Orange79KZ on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
Wanna know how to beat an r6? Ride a kz1000. :lol:

More
18 Jul 2012 02:26 #536701 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\turbo.jpg[/attachment]
this is how

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

More
18 Jul 2012 02:27 #536702 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada
Attachments:

More
18 Jul 2012 03:46 #536704 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
Sorry, but that old turbo would never be able to stay close to the R6. At least not in stock form. Nor would a Ninja 900 or an early Ninja 1000.

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
18 Jul 2012 06:24 #536709 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ
and the turbo and the ninja's are Gpz's not Ks's :)

seriously larry, what was the point in the first place/post?

just for the record, in one of the tracks we race, a R6 in superstock trim (only aftermarekt exhaust system, EFI remapping and rear shock allowed )i.e. a simple tuning job, can turn lap times that are about 8 secs faster than the best vintage open classer, full blown KZ with a hot rider.....

More
18 Jul 2012 07:08 - 18 Jul 2012 07:33 #536714 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic How to beat an R6 with your old KZ

faffi wrote: I can only remember one of the original Z1000s getting into the 11s in stock form, the Z1-R tested by Cycle magazine in 1977. Many years ago, Cycle World took an R6 into the nines! OK, it had been lowered and fitted with a Dynojet kit or something, but it was a low 10 second bike even bone stock. So 1.5 to 2 seconds faster than your off-the-showroom-floor Z1000 from 1980 or older. I still wouldn't want the little screamer engine - life is more than outright performance.

10's? I get your point. I'd put this bike up against a zl 1000 or v65 any time.

Today I was riding on the road I took my brothers v65 down years ago. Man was that a fast one.

I took that thing right to 12 grand in every gear several times. It would sail past 110 in no

tome flat. Can't help but smile when I come down that road ;) Like today ON the kz! I can't even

get out of second gear but barely and I'm already going so fast, I'd be looking at prison time

if I got seen. I don't know if the tach is stuck at 90, it gets there before I can

look. It's been hot out lately and fully warm the bs34's have been shitty.

Engine wouldn't start buzzin till the r's were up and even then soggy and missy.

I turned the idle mix screws from 2.5 to 2.25 turns out. :lol: Then later on down to

2turns. :woohoo: :woohoo: Now I get rubber just after take off If I ge it up to
eight grand it will smoke the tire, hit second and you are in a
nother deimension, head and shoulders are left behind, legs and torso still on
the bike. The response is awesome from take off all the way to the top after leaning
the idle mix. The motor gets the right amount of fuel it wil go. Can't run short on
fuel or the funs over early.

Tips of the day: Don't leave a roll of black tape in the throttle linkage, don't
disconnect the kill switch, its one heck of an overrevv test you don't want any part of.

I have new respect for the bs34's. Now it's fun from the time the clutch is let out, and
the top end is absolutely ferious.

Valve erea jay said. Hmmm. I might have increased the flow through the head. My face shield
tore off along time ago, but no, that's not it. My valves I ground smaller. To help things out. Can't say much
on that since I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I'll say this though, I'm not
going to recall it... :woohoo: What's a valve guide boss? Somehting that has to go!
Kind of like that.

Note, if your kz is popping out of second gear check the clutch cable
free play, if it's loose tighten it. The shaft won't set back to center detent after
second gear is engaged and it will spit right back out of second. And we all know
what happens after too many pops outs...

My kz sits in the garage a dangerous deadly weapon, it's like having a race horse in
a stable out back, like Christmas every day. It's mean, it's bad, looks funny, looks
sad, but why quit now? Just getting started. Be safe and ride hard, where only here
for a litle while. SO...

My kz's rocking , my girlfriend still loves me, god is good , life is grand.

And I got gas in it. A knew used tire with cracks. Off a yamaha 750, 20 bucks.

And I put it on backwards(mistake) and that's the way I'm gonna roll it.

Those bs 34's blow the doors off the older 26's and 28's. I can say that now. :whistle:

They are the reason this motor has the output to be fun, fast, and outright ferious.

I had zero confidence in the 34's after I put them on. Now it magically idles perfect below

1000rpm, has the crispness of fuel injection, the fore of a drop forge at the rear wheel

at wide open T. The other early carbs are junk, they just don't make any power plain and

simple. I must be bored tonight, but everything I say is true. Sniff? Smell that?

I got this feeling about tomorrow, it's either I'm going to die, end up in jail, or

an r6 is destined to come my way, or me it's way. I will be ready, and of course

I'm going to CHEAT! And if I get the jump it's going be real tuff to pass me.

The Yamaha will have to be shifted at 16,00984 in every gear for certain, and if he didn't drop a terd
early in the morning, too heavy :pinch:

I am not the wizard of oz, yes dorothy me..... but did happen to see that Monkey fly..

Pretty neat stuff.

Ok hit me with the stupid videos :blink: And ya'll think I AM weird?

Least I make sense. :laugh: :laugh:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2012 07:33 by nads.com.