Harder Quiz

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
13 Nov 2010 13:57 - 13 Nov 2010 13:58 #412552 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic Harder Quiz
You guy's can argue about your 1000's, I'll stay out of it....apparently I ride a slow bike anyway as its only a 750 LOL.

Arguing about these old punters as to which is faster is irrelevent...a new 600 is gonna spank a stock 1000 be it a KZ, GS, CBX, Laverda Jota...name any others ya can think of.

I dont ride my old KZ's cuz they are faaaaasssssssst, if I wanted fast I'd buy a new sportbike.

Oh, my JD lawn tractor is faster than my neighbours....no dyno runs or timeslips to prove it however Hahahahaaaaaaaaha.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN
Last edit: 13 Nov 2010 13:58 by M357.5.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
13 Nov 2010 15:27 #412559 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic Harder Quiz
timebomb33 wrote:

sorry i disagree about the the gs750's being quicker or faster than a kz1000 two valve or 4 valve they were both slower having riden and worked on lots of them. they were a fun bike but definitly not faster. the aftermarket 2 valve head your talking about was originally built by mtc it was designed as stronger aftermarket replacement head for the gs 1100 4 valve motors for nhra pro stock. the 2 valve motors were allowed to be bigger cubic inches than the 4 valve motors also they had thicker castings and were designed with massive ports so they were cheaper to use in the long run then trying modify a tired used stock casting up to pro stock performance levels. now ward performance is building these heads for both suzi's and kawi's they are called the vortex head now. now it looks like star performance is in the process of build a massive 4 valve head that uses kz type quides and valve train, made out of billet alloy it will work with either an 85 or 87 mm bore.by the way gs1000 2valve engine pieces a really getting hard to find unlike 2 valve kawi and 4 valve suzuki performance pieces the engine was only produced for 3 years in a chain drive form then they switched to 4 valve componets. and yes i do know quite a bit about gs 1000's i won a championship on one in 2000 it was a fun easy to ride consistent bike that had almost identical mods as my kz1000 and was almost identical in speed and et's. i would definitly own another if given the oppourtunity.

So if you could not ride the kz, what was your next choice?

More
13 Nov 2010 16:45 #412562 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Harder Quiz

kzz1p wrote:
So if you could not ride the kz, what was your next choice?

If I couldn't ride my kz this would be my next choice

More
13 Nov 2010 17:00 #412564 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Harder Quiz
any of the big bore zx's would suit me just fine zx-11, zx-12, zx-14 i love the power,top speed capabilities and also the comfort level. you can go 170 plus mile an hour on them at will and still be able to use them on a daily basis plus they have a comfortable riding postion that allows you to put major miles on them not as hard edged riding postion like the more focused sport bikes. i now have a 97 zx-11 a 2001 12r the next one i,ll be looking for is a zx-14.but i'll still be riding and racing my kz's can't get them out of my system.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
13 Nov 2010 18:21 #412576 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Harder Quiz
This thread certainly got twisted of topic but since it's already screwed in a new direction.....

GS1000 Suzuki's were Suzuki's attempt to 1 up a design that was around for several years and proven reliable.

Suzuki brought larger valves to the party, different bore / stroke, an inferior clutch basket and helical drive gear on the crankshaft to name a few differences.

Regardless, they respond well to the same mods a KZ 900 / 1000 does.

However, it will cost more to build a reliable GS than it does a KZ if you address the weaknesses of the GS design.

Anybody know what the flaw is in the Suzuki crank setup?

Suzuki produced different versions of the cylinder head when they move to CV carburetors, just as Kawasaki did. Neither were drastic improvements over the original heads. However cast runner size makes porting efforts easier when large displacement engines are the goal.

For the 2mm intake valve size advantage over Kawasaki's KZ head, the Suzuki wasn't an outstanding cylinder head in stock form. It could however be coaxed into producing good air flow.

Anybody want to take a stab at the numbers? Stock vs ported with stock valves or provide reason for potential for the Suzuki vs the KZ.

The GS1000 was a great motorcycle and will make a good base for a very quick, classic street bike. Just make sure you address the clutch basket weakness, especially on an old bike. If the basket lets go, it will take the cases with it.

Nobody makes a slider for that motor either...not to my knowledge so if drag racing is the goal, keep that in mind. GS11 would be the wiser choice :)

More
13 Nov 2010 18:32 #412579 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Harder Quiz
i have nothing to add here except my first street bike was 79 GS 1000 and i hammered that bike and did little other than oil changes occasionally......one tough bitch.....i had a gs1150e that was built and i did have a problen with the clutch hub....once i got that fixed, whoa Nelly...hang on....:laugh:

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 Nov 2010 19:21 #412593 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Harder Quiz
i guess these guys are better than the boys at the kawasaki factory....

i want to not want kawasakis any more...i want to let em go...my name is Craig..i think i may need help...i am sick and tired of being sick and tired...help me get the kawasaki off my back.....i'm ready

just for today...i am not gonna think about a kawasaki

just for today

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
13 Nov 2010 19:26 #412595 by larrycavan
Keith,

Friend had one with a 94CFM head,1085 kit, Yosh Stage 1 cams, head shaved a little and 33 smoothbores. It was a very fast motorcycle.

It held to my theory that too much cam buys you squat ;)

More
13 Nov 2010 19:52 #412603 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Harder Quiz
kzz1p wrote:

ace wrote:

question #3 if one could not ride and fix old kzs ,what make and motor would be second choice???? (excluding kawasaki) is there a block out there as well rounded for speed and durability?? im thinkin suzuki gs series ??? look forward to all ur replies....ace.

I'm in for the GS1000 suzuki. A lot of stock parts avilible and there performance level, is higher then the KZ's.

They are a two valve motor but some people still race. They still sell after market heads for them. They out handle the KZ's.........

a lot uglier than kz's also! :woohoo:
ever tried taking a high speed corner with an early 80s gs1100? :S :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
13 Nov 2010 19:59 #412605 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Harder Quiz
larrycavan wrote:

This thread certainly got twisted of topic but since it's already screwed in a new direction.....

GS1000 Suzuki's were Suzuki's attempt to 1 up a design that was around for several years and proven reliable.

Suzuki brought larger valves to the party, different bore / stroke, an inferior clutch basket and helical drive gear on the crankshaft to name a few differences.

Regardless, they respond well to the same mods a KZ 900 / 1000 does.

However, it will cost more to build a reliable GS than it does a KZ if you address the weaknesses of the GS design.

Anybody know what the flaw is in the Suzuki crank setup

Suzuki produced different versions of the cylinder head when they move to CV carburetors, just as Kawasaki did. Neither were drastic improvements over the original heads. However cast runner size makes porting efforts easier when large displacement engines are the goal.

For the 2mm intake valve size advantage over Kawasaki's KZ head, the Suzuki wasn't an outstanding cylinder head in stock form. It could however be coaxed into producing good air flow.

Anybody want to take a stab at the numbers? Stock vs ported with stock valves or provide reason for potential for the Suzuki vs the KZ.

The GS1000 was a great motorcycle and will makeb:angrase for a very quick, classic street bike. Just make sure you address the clutch basket weakness, especially on an old bike. If the basket lets go, it will take the cases with it.

Nobody makes a slider for that motor either...not to my knowledge so if drag racing is the goal, keep that in mind. GS11 would be the wiser choice :)

yeah i know the problem with the 82 1100 crank,they were junk! :woohoo: snapped the end right off of one!

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Nov 2010 06:20 - 14 Nov 2010 06:28 #412647 by larrycavan
kzz1p wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

kzz1p wrote:

ace wrote:

question #3 if one could not ride and fix old kzs ,what make and motor would be second choice???? (excluding kawasaki) is there a block out there as well rounded for speed and durability?? im thinkin suzuki gs series ??? look forward to all ur replies....ace.

I'm in for the GS1000 suzuki. A lot of stock parts avilible and there performance level, is higher then the KZ's.

They are a two valve motor but some people still race. They still sell after market heads for them. They out handle the KZ's.........

:laugh: Oh... do enlighten us all with some of your first hand experience in this.

Hey Larry

Take a day off!

The two valve suzuki's blew the Z1's out of the water from day one and still to date. Why was that? Do you have any clues?

***NOTE FROM TONY***
Please keep it civil or your posts will start to disappear. This means EVERYONE. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. :)

As for my experience, I was working for a Suzuki dealer when they came out. I have rebuilt a few of them, tuned a few and ridden some of them. The real facts are, the GS750 off the showroom floor was faster then the kz1000. The GS750 can leave a Z in the corners, any day of the week.

Yea... I have way more than a clue. I have actual answers.

Now how about if you give us some Suzuki Tuner Tech. For example:

a] what does a stock Suzuki GS1000 head flow?

b] what's the weak spot in the intake port when you port one of them?

c] If building s 1085 street ride and using 29 smoothbores, which GS1000 head would be the better choice & why?

HINT: you won't find those answers in old magazines.

I worked on them too John, from 81 - 84 at a Kaw / Suz dealership. I saw every weak spot on those GS motors.

I do agree they were quicker than a stock KZ 1000. They should have been. What technical differences made that possible?

:)
Last edit: 14 Nov 2010 06:28 by larrycavan.

More
14 Nov 2010 09:39 #412677 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Harder Quiz
larrycavan wrote:

Anybody know what the flaw is in the Suzuki crank setup?

iirc didn't the helical gears have weak or little support in the case and could jump or seperate a little under hard load?
something about needing to beef that area up if you were going to build it for power.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.