Harder Quiz

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
08 Nov 2010 12:44 #411653 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Harder Quiz
If I'm not mistaken Larry, that's the engine currently in your personal bike?

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2010 14:13 #411666 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Harder Quiz
larrycavan wrote:

T_Dub wrote:

I wouldn't say final exam Dave, but that'd be an average midterm in engineering fluid dynamics haha.

My main question Larry, is what are the equations that you use to identify these things? I suppose mean air speed would have to do with actually filling the cylinder in the time allotted(duration of cam as a fraction of a cycle, divide that by revs to get time). But my main thing would be valve size. What correlation are you using to determine required valve size at a certain lift to get the required flow rate?

I use feet per second at 28" steady state for mean air speed.

Valve size is a variable for flow and clearance reasons.

Well thats a different story. You're using test bench measures. I was trying to calculate actual steady state values at 9000RPM on a running engine!

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
08 Nov 2010 15:46 #411674 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Harder Quiz
you guys are making my head hurt! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2010 22:40 #411777 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Harder Quiz
T_Dub wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

T_Dub wrote:

I wouldn't say final exam Dave, but that'd be an average midterm in engineering fluid dynamics haha.

My main question Larry, is what are the equations that you use to identify these things? I suppose mean air speed would have to do with actually filling the cylinder in the time allotted(duration of cam as a fraction of a cycle, divide that by revs to get time). But my main thing would be valve size. What correlation are you using to determine required valve size at a certain lift to get the required flow rate?

I use feet per second at 28" steady state for mean air speed.

Valve size is a variable for flow and clearance reasons.

Well thats a different story. You're using test bench measures. I was trying to calculate actual steady state values at 9000RPM on a running engine!

That's fine. There's more than one way to arrive at the numbers. Steady state 28 with .55 mach is a mean is what is commonly used on these types of heads.

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2010 22:41 #411778 by larrycavan
porchev914 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken Larry, that's the engine currently in your personal bike?

Yes it is.

• larrycavan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2010 22:51 #411779 by larrycavan
PLUMMEN wrote:

what conditions are you working planning to run this motor under?
im figuring a low buck everyday driver,with the emphasis on low buck! :laugh:

It depends on budget as to going with the valves or not.

But if you start with the math and work toward the targets arrived at there, the valves would get changed Jim.

Stock valve KZ, 88cfm head like Injected put in his combo. It would work just fine. Put more duration in the cams if you wanted.

I like shorer duration cams. So my approach was give it more flow in the head and go with less duration

More
09 Nov 2010 06:30 #411809 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic Harder Quiz
larrycavan wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

what conditions are you working planning to run this motor under?
im figuring a low buck everyday driver,with the emphasis on low buck! :laugh:

It depends on budget as to going with the valves or not.

But if you start with the math and work toward the targets arrived at there, the valves would get changed Jim.

Stock valve KZ, 88cfm head like Injected put in his combo. It would work just fine. Put more duration in the cams if you wanted.

I like shorer duration cams. So my approach was give it more flow in the head and go with less duration

Yes I agree with the idea of using a budget and putting the money where it counts the most.

The stock valve idea came to me recently on a 650 head when I needed to spend the money on the bore job instead of larger valves and seats - sacrificing a little bit of flow that could be easily fixed later on with a larger set of cams (bolt in operation) - the bore job being the bigger power maker and something that can't be swapped out in 1 hour was given that extra cash infusion.

I knew with that head cleaned up it would match the rest of my parts better and I would be able to play with it in the future when I could throw a bit more money in the right direction.

For a street motor you need to stay focused and realistic (says the guy with the magneto on his 650!) it's too tempting to want to go nuts on it once you start... you have to draw the line and say what do I "need"?

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2010 07:00 #411816 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Harder Quiz
Injected wrote:

For a street motor you need to stay focused and realistic (says the guy with the magneto on his 650!) it's too tempting to want to go nuts on it once you start... you have to draw the line and say what do I "need"?

Answer: a turbo! :P

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Nov 2010 07:24 #411820 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Harder Quiz
a 1998 1000cc superbike for about 1600 and this is all a worthless effort.....

the king has no clothes....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
09 Nov 2010 08:02 #411823 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic Harder Quiz
DoubleDub wrote:

Injected wrote:

Answer: a turbo! :P

I see the "KZ650 awaiting turbo project" at the bottom of your posts... believe me if I wanted the "easy" way out I would have one... I don't think it would take me anything to slap one on there within a day if I sourced all the parts and half of it would be homemade...

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2010 08:19 #411826 by DoubleDub
Yep, that and the wife are where I'm stuck at the moment. Getting a parts list together and waiting for the go-ahead... I'm also not positive yet the condition of the bike.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2010 08:21 #411829 by DoubleDub
DoubleDub wrote:

Yep, that and the wife are where I'm stuck at the moment. Getting a parts list together and waiting for the go-ahead... I'm also not positive yet the condition of the bike.

That's my way of graciously saying, "Yes, I'm just one of the talkers, not one of the doers at the moment."
:laugh: