dry clutch kit

More
05 Nov 2010 09:53 #410918 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic dry clutch kit
Back to the original question -

From what I can see on the cases and the clutch cover it would be easy enough to block off the oil to the clutch assembly by making a flat plate using the cover as a template. Around the basket you have to go inwards towards the case and behind the basket... there is not too much room to do it but you could put a seal around the shaft where that thrust washer used to back up the basket - eliminate the washer with the new seal (as long as the seal is rigid enough)

I believe this is how they must have done that original conversion... the clutch spinning in the oil does use up a bit of horse power plus it would be easy to swap plates if needed in the pits.

As far as coming up with some appropriate friction plates I think your best bet would be to call Barnett. Maybe they did some racing stuff for the 750 motor back in the day... plates might even be sitting on a shelf - 2 inches of dust on em!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
05 Nov 2010 10:25 - 05 Nov 2010 10:28 #410926 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic dry clutch kit
One thing I have read about on a few forums is that there are very few sizes of clutch disks. I read on a 'busa forum that the disks they use are the same shape as a kz650. I am not sure about the thickness or material, I am not even sure the guy who wrote that comment knew what he was talking about, but it is worth looking into. At the time I was trolling different sport bike forums trying to figure out who makes the best factory slipper (back torque limmiting) clutch.

My point is, if there so many bikes throughout the years that ran clutch plates of the same shape and size it should not be to hard to find a them in a coumpound acceptable for a dry clutch.

How much power can be gained from a dry clutch? 1-2hp? I was always under the impression they were perferable only for the ease of accessing the clutch plates (incase you roast a clutch on the track).

Edit: what about dry sump bikes, I know there is some oil still flying around but they must have a nearly dry clutch... do they change the clutch disk compound for a dry sump mod?

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2010 10:28 by hardr0ck68.

More
05 Nov 2010 10:38 #410930 by Injected
Well when your racing every few HP over the competition helps... that style of clutch also engages faster than one bathed in oil which cuts down on times between shifts, which would make you faster exiting corners - maybe only critical on some courses.
As far as dry sump systems - yes they do need to use different friction plates... when you run little of no oil in the crankcase as soon as the clutch engages it creates so much heat it will warp the steel plates within seconds at high RPM - the plates turn blue from the heat.

Having a lot of issues getting any good pictures of that setup... lot of pics of the 1000/1100 super-bikes but not too many of the 750...
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2010 10:40 #410932 by Injected
another
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2010 10:42 #410933 by Injected
better - you can see the foot gaurd but you can't quite make out the cover plate...
Attachments:

More
05 Nov 2010 14:57 #410992 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic dry clutch kit
hei injected, tnxs for the pics, learn something new from every pic of the muzzy bike i see.

Barnett plates are definitely on my shopping list. Grabby but though. Have them on my current race bike.

TG

More
06 Nov 2010 13:33 #411290 by Injected
No problem... I could not seem to find any detailed pic's of that clutch side for some reason... and there seems to be a lot more pictures of the liter size super bikes from the same era out there - none show a dry clutch on the 1000 cc bikes... strange... maybe they found it was not needed?

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
06 Nov 2010 14:43 #411300 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic dry clutch kit
My issue is not what he and members like him add to the forums but what they take away. When folks continue to slam members at any given chance about different oppinion then eventually those members stop posting. Remember when wireman was on the outs, so he deleted his profile and left. Other members who have good info were also pushed out wiregorge for example.

A forum should be a place were people share ideas good and otherwise, share information and opinions. When people get hassled for doing just that then I will say something. I think LMR has some talent and time, no doubt... and if he dropped the personal attacks I would be cool with the guy.[/quote]

Sorry for being off topic for a minute.

This is one of the better posts that I have read. Look at the list of members, over 17,000. Look at the gallery full of injected bikes, supercharged bikes, drag bikes and many different types of bikes. Where are those people now, why don't they post anymore? I would assume some sold their bikes and maybe some died, where are the rest of them. There are many who havn't signed-in for years....Their pictures sure does make us look good! Should we still keep advertising them as members? Did they just get tired of all the crap? Why don't we get any of their knowledge, is it them or us? Why does the site keep pushing talented people away? Why do they move to other sites then talk trash about us?......Has this become the site of a few, or the site of the many?

What is the true number of active posting members? As a fourm it really doesn't matter who shows up. If we were a business, we would dump the few, and go for the many.

I find it interesting that this came up. I was getting ready to do a slideshow on some of the turbo, supercharged, dragbikes, from the gallary. I wanted to know where they went and why?.......I have a good idea why, I wanted to see if others understood why?

More
06 Nov 2010 18:24 #411357 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic dry clutch kit
i was glad to see that bigmouth wireman go!:woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
06 Nov 2010 18:34 #411362 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic dry clutch kit
PLUMMEN wrote:

i was glad to see that bigmouth wireman go!:woohoo:

I wasn't around back then, but I heard he was a real jerk. ;)

More
06 Nov 2010 19:51 #411373 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic dry clutch kit
@ Turbo... Sorry I feel the need to jump in here on your thread but this has gone on long enough... I replied let it go when Hardrock threw his punches, not worth getting riled over.. but nope, they just couldn't let it go... Unfortunately, in your post as well as others they continue...

With that said, Sorry... I apologize to you and the others for having to deal with this banter....

John, I guess the laughing emoticons meant nothing to you... Hell, it wasn't even directed at you or anyone in particular for that matter but yet, you somehow take offense to it.

Did I attack Hardrock after his rant, nope but you feel I personally attack members... Interesting...

How many times have you (and several others mind you) personally Photo Chopped me and such... Did I sit here and boo-hoo & get all pissy... NO, I laughed at it like everyone else. Now all of a sudden you're all serious where we only talk serious KZ stuff here @ KZR and take offense with something that wasn't even directed at you. :S Smooth, real smooth...

The forum is for meeting new friends and ppl who have a common interest but also, ya ready... To have fun with friends in what we all love, The Kawasaki KZ/GPZ series of motorcycles and the discussions with a group of friendships we have developed...

Who here truly gives a rats ass what I do to my KZ or what you do to yours. Does anyone here truly give a crap what carbs you have, I have, what camshaft, or displacement or if you have the coil mod or not or the fact I have dual head lights and some just don't like it or the paint color I chose in my build... The answer to all the above is NO for I built the bike for me & not anyone else...

Sure we wouldn't want you to burn a KZ to the ground but if you did, ah well your ride, WTF do I truly care... Life goes on...

Are we going to agree on everything, hell no...
So put on your big girl princess panties already and get over it... Now that one you can take personally if you like....

So we don't ruin this post any further... Seriously speaking, Start a Chit Chat Posting titled "OMR Sucks" and describe all the issues or what ever you and Hardrock have with me...

Will that make you feel better... good, look forward to your posting ...

Turbo and others, Again my sincere apologizes...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
06 Nov 2010 20:10 #411376 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic dry clutch kit
Old Man Rock wrote:

@ Turbo... Sorry I feel the need to jump in here on your thread but this has gone on long enough... I replied let it go when Hardrock threw his punches, not worth getting riled over.. but nope, they just couldn't let it go... Unfortunately, in your post as well as others they continue...

With that said, Sorry... I apologize to you and the others for having to deal with this banter....

John, I guess the laughing emoticons meant nothing to you... Hell, it wasn't even directed at you or anyone in particular for that matter but yet, you somehow take offense to it.

Did I attack Hardrock after his rant, nope but you feel I personally attack members... Interesting...

How many times have you (and several others mind you) personally Photo Chopped me and such... Did I sit here and boo-hoo & get all pissy... NO, I laughed at it like everyone else. Now all of a sudden you're all serious where we only talk serious KZ stuff here @ KZR and take offense with something that wasn't even directed at you. :S Smooth, real smooth...

The forum is for meeting new friends and ppl who have a common interest but also, ya ready... To have fun with friends in what we all love, The Kawasaki KZ/GPZ series of motorcycles and the discussions with a group of friendships we have developed...

Who here truly gives a rats ass what I do to my KZ or what you do to yours. Does anyone here truly give a crap what carbs you have, I have, what camshaft, or displacement or if you have the coil mod or not or the fact I have dual head lights and some just don't like it or the paint color I chose in my build... The answer to all the above is NO for I built the bike for me & not anyone else...

Sure we wouldn't want you to burn a KZ to the ground but if you did, ah well your ride, WTF do I truly care... Life goes on...

Are we going to agree on everything, hell no...
So put on your big girl princess panties already and get over it... Now that one you can take personally if you like....

So we don't ruin this post any further... Seriously speaking, Start a Chit Chat Posting titled "OMR Sucks" and describe all the issues or what ever you and Hardrock have with me...

Will that make you feel better... good, look forward to your posting ...

Turbo and others, Again my sincere apologizes...

OMR

dave,
you are a stand up guy with a lot of insight and wisdom and you are always willing to share the knowledge you have learned from wrenching and experimenting....kzrider is a better site because of people like you.....do you like to break stones? you bet....hell, we all do sometimes....myself more than others....bottom line is dont worry about what some of the trouble -makers think...
keep on the current course.....the turds always end up drying out and dissapearing in the yard.....:woohoo: