dry clutch kit

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
02 Nov 2010 17:10 #410462 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic dry clutch kit
Old Man Rock wrote:

Huh?... He's been a memember for 7 years...

He wasn't the only one I was talking about.....And he's still kicking your Ass after 7 years?....I think he's yo Daddy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2010 17:10 #410463 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic dry clutch kit
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ya ok ;) ... Back to dry clutch....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2010 17:42 - 02 Nov 2010 17:54 #410476 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic dry clutch kit
:woohoo:

Hey Dave..... it's like this ;)

youtube.com/watch?v=_c_MLSv6DYI

IMHO, the reason you don't want a dry clutch on a KZ or GPz 750 is pretty simple.

A - way too noisey
B - way too much hassle to even consider because it's not a bolt on item. It's going to take serious modifications.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2010 17:54 by larrycavan.

More
02 Nov 2010 17:53 #410478 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic dry clutch kit
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Exactly....

And your the one who started it :angry: :laugh: , Patton added to it and he get pissy at me.... :( :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Poor OMR... :(

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
02 Nov 2010 17:56 - 02 Nov 2010 17:59 #410479 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic dry clutch kit
I just saw Patton's post :woohoo: Some of his best work...and he does some pretty good chopping :laugh:

And I didn't start anything. I commented on the CRS being the choice of most classic race bikes from Japan.

Which ever way anyone twisted after that was of their own doing.... IT WAS A LEGIT AND PROPER COMMENT ON MY PART...

Carry on....you're all doing a fine job ;)
Last edit: 02 Nov 2010 17:59 by larrycavan.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
02 Nov 2010 18:19 #410486 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic dry clutch kit
I have no issue with folks having discussions and trading ideas. I do however take issue with folks bashing members for those ideas... not many people here do it.

Most people just disagree in a friendly way but some folks out here seem to have taken the Nancy Pelosi / Newt Gingrich classes in discourse at night school.

If you disagree with someone fine, but don't feel the need to take cheap shots at them on unrelated topics. That is classic douche baggery...

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• M357.5
  • User
  • Kwakas N' lots of em'
More
02 Nov 2010 18:41 #410491 by M357.5
Replied by M357.5 on topic dry clutch kit
I think a dry clutch would be bitchin on a race prepped KZ/GPz. Pricey, and will take some engineering but COOL.
On a street bike not so much, although Ducati seems to sell thier fair share of the RATTLE/JINGLES for the road.

On a vintage race bike I say hell ya, why not.

83 KZ750L X2 + goodies = Project
84 KZ750L the mini ELR replica replica lol
84 ZX750E Turbo modded n' FAAAAASSSSSSTTTTT
85 GPz900r GREEN N' MEAN

More
02 Nov 2010 19:39 #410507 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic dry clutch kit
The stock clutch (basket, and both sets of plates) will handle more power than your going to make(125hp - no issues)... only upgrade should be a bearing style pusher, slightly heavier springs (NOT the red drag race springs) and check the free play/slop in the assembly... if it is a lot then you will have to replace the internal rubber dampers with some solid neoprene/viton rubber.

I have done the solid rubber mod on a few clutches... I have also built my own lockup version of that clutch (same as for Z1) both work fine.

What is involved as far as building a dry clutch? Obviously ditch the cover... plug up the oil passages in the case (with a plate?) and some different friction plates... is that it? maybe a seal on the output shaft... oil might puke out of there at high RPM...

More
03 Nov 2010 04:51 #410542 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic dry clutch kit
Can we all just have a big family hug and put our personal "douchbag-ness" aside ? :laugh:

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
03 Nov 2010 05:57 #410548 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic dry clutch kit
Injected wrote:

The stock clutch (basket, and both sets of plates) will handle more power than your going to make(125hp - no issues)... only upgrade should be a bearing style pusher, slightly heavier springs (NOT the red drag race springs) and check the free play/slop in the assembly... if it is a lot then you will have to replace the internal rubber dampers with some solid neoprene/viton rubber.

I have done the solid rubber mod on a few clutches... I have also built my own lockup version of that clutch (same as for Z1) both work fine.

What is involved as far as building a dry clutch? Obviously ditch the cover... plug up the oil passages in the case (with a plate?) and some different friction plates... is that it? maybe a seal on the output shaft... oil might puke out of there at high RPM...

Interesting discussion - I'm definitely staying tuned....

Is the original interest in this just to make it a "period" piece?

More
03 Nov 2010 06:29 #410553 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic dry clutch kit
There is a sealed bearing at that output where it comes out of the case halves and into the clutch cover area but I don't think it could hold back the crank case pressure at high RPMs.
Your going to want to get as much venting on those cases as you can and you may want to build a sump into your oil pan right under the oil pump location.
I have a 3 inch deep sump on mine that holds about a cup of oil and a extended tube that comes down from the oil pump in the middle of the stock screen.
From what I have heard all these new motors have deep sumps designed into the pan from the factory.

More
03 Nov 2010 15:32 #410614 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic dry clutch kit
gee guys, i'm gone for one day and all hell breaks loose?

Wow,

Back to the clutch thing, noise is definitely not an issue in the race bike i am building, complexity and effort yes. just form past experience its going to be quite a stretch to be ready for first race of the season in early march, hopefully after dyno and shakedown sessions.

bike is not ready yet but i am already thinking about future developments :)

just checked the turbo and normal 750 baskets and they are the same part number, I dont really think i am going to get to turbo power levels with my 750/810, so guess I can sleep well tonight :)

TG