ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2010 16:09 #371937 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Engine Temperature
1 trip down Main Street during Bike Week was all the convincing I needed that an oil cooler was next on my list of mods. It was one of the coldest Marches on record and all of the stop and go so little people with big bikes could get them up on the sidewalk really got the Ole Girl heated up and I wasn't the only one saw a couple of Shovels and Evos that were so hot they were starting to smoke and their owners were oblivious to the fact that they were destroying their engines. During normal street riding I haven't had any issues but that stop and go stuff has convinced me that a cooler and possibly a fan are in order.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

More
29 May 2010 16:21 - 29 May 2010 16:22 #371939 by BohicaBob
Replied by BohicaBob on topic Engine Temperature
dejavoodo41: Amen! I was on A1A near Main St. in Daytona during Bike Week on my 987cc '73 Z1-900 with mild cams, Yosh pistons, a big-ass oil cooler, and VDO oil temp gauge in stop and go, mostly stop, traffic at night with air temp at 45 degrees and the wind blowing off the Atlantic. My oil temp was approaching 230 F. I can just imagine someone with a bigger motor, bigger cams, etc. in those very same conditions!
Last edit: 29 May 2010 16:22 by BohicaBob.

More
29 May 2010 16:41 #371943 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Engine Temperature
Yeah it was the first time I had really done any riding during Bike Week but my friends were like after work let's go riding. So it was an ok I did it let's go somewhere else now thing. It was fun to see the looks on the Harley guy's faces when they're fighting to get their Ultra's up over the curb and a guy on a K1200LT pulls up puts it in reverse and backs it right up....lol

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
29 May 2010 16:50 #371948 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Engine Temperature
dejavoodo41 wrote:

1 trip down Main Street during Bike Week was all the convincing I needed that an oil cooler was next on my list of mods. It was one of the coldest Marches on record and all of the stop and go so little people with big bikes could get them up on the sidewalk really got the Ole Girl heated up and I wasn't the only one saw a couple of Shovels and Evos that were so hot they were starting to smoke and their owners were oblivious to the fact that they were destroying their engines. During normal street riding I haven't had any issues but that stop and go stuff has convinced me that a cooler and possibly a fan are in order.

Here is a vidio I took with the cam mounted to the fork ears of my Z1 going down main st Daytona a few years ago. This is true stop and go and an evil heat maker.

[youtube]
[/youtube]

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
29 May 2010 19:17 - 29 May 2010 20:29 #371982 by davel
Replied by davel on topic Engine Temperature
Here's my heat solution for the 1075 in city traffic. Works really well. The fan is controlled off oil temperature and it moves enough air over the engine to drop engine temp in stop/go traffic. Overheating is not an issue.

The oil cooler is effective but doesn't do much unless you're moving. I've found it more important to keep air moving over the engine. There isn't enough oil circulating through the cooler to keep the engine temp down especially at low RPM
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 May 2010 20:29 by davel.

More
29 May 2010 21:55 #372012 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine Temperature
Old Man Rock wrote:

Interesting indeed... One thing for sure... Oil is kept at cooler temps, oil breakdown is decreased thus engine runs smoother thus equates to cooler engine temps.....

That only applies to dino oil. Synthetic (real synthetic) was designed specifically for aircraft engines that literally cooked regular oil in minutes. Real syn oil will not break down at temps that would fry your engine.

That said, a lot of oil sold as synthetic is actually dino oil run through a filter thanks to a court ruling but that's another problem..... real syn oil will live way beyond where the engine will not.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
29 May 2010 21:56 #372013 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Engine Temperature
davel wrote:

The oil cooler is effective but doesn't do much unless you're moving. I've found it more important to keep air moving over the engine. There isn't enough oil circulating through the cooler to keep the engine temp down especially at low RPM

Good point: the oil cooler blocks airflow to the head and "pre heats" what air it does get.... there ain't no free lunch in the engineering world.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
30 May 2010 05:19 #372031 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Engine Temperature
Stop & go traffic, no doubt air cooler isn't doing much...

Davel, I like that design you have there, ;) current draw on that DC fan?

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
30 May 2010 06:27 #372041 by davel
Old Man Rock wrote:

Davel, I like that design you have there, ;) current draw on that DC fan?

OMR

It's listed at 4.8 amps but that's startup draw. Only uses about 3 amps while running. Moves 400CFM air.
www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16507/

More
30 May 2010 16:06 #372152 by davel
bountyhunter wrote:

Good point: the oil cooler blocks airflow to the head and "pre heats" what air it does get.... there ain't no free lunch in the engineering world.

Yeah, I've thought about this and have considered moving the oil cooler behind the cylinder block between the intake filters and rear wheel. Never seen it done but there's enough room, it's a lot closer to the the oil pump and it leaves the head completely unobstructed from cool air flow....maybe later this season.

More
30 May 2010 16:40 #372157 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine Temperature
davel wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

Yeah, I've thought about this and have considered moving the oil cooler behind the cylinder block between the intake filters and rear wheel. Never seen it done but there's enough room, it's a lot closer to the the oil pump and it leaves the head completely unobstructed from cool air flow....maybe later this season.

i doubt cooler would do much good on back side of motor since it would just be picking up air heated by the motor,i still wonder if a fan mounted behind motor would be more affective though as a puller instead of a pusher B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.