So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...

More
05 Sep 2009 18:14 #319324 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
so have you had time to tear into the motor yet to see how bad things are? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
05 Sep 2009 18:58 - 05 Sep 2009 18:59 #319332 by KZQ
I've been watching this thread since HHK alerted me to an e-mail he'd received from LC.

From my seat Brandon and Larry are not only handling a ticklish issue between them but doing so in a manner that helps KZR get smarter. My hat's off to two straight up members. B)

Unfortunately, HHK seems to have been sniping and trying to provoke a dispute where none exists.

If anyone has anything positive to add to this thread, bring it on! I'm pretty sure that Brandon and Larry have the tools to resolve any issue between them. They need no outside help.

As Tony said: Keep it on topic!B)

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 05 Sep 2009 18:59 by KZQ.

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
06 Sep 2009 19:44 #319612 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
Brandon!

You have the support of many people, we will help anyway, we can.

Keep the photos coming, so we can see. It's funny how life changes. One minute your a rider and the next, your a mechanic. It's happened to many people, before you.

You will learn as much about yourself, your skills and abilities, as you will learn about, that old bike. See how no one has offered you $50, for the bike? Someday you will laugh about this, maybe not today?

Stay committed! People will always help, when you are committed...................Best of wishes

• kzz1p
  • User
More
06 Sep 2009 19:48 #319615 by kzz1p
Good job Tony and KZCSI!

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2009 10:24 - 07 Sep 2009 10:27 #319687 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
To my knowledge, there never was any delicate situation / dispute between Branden and myself.

I think the moderators did an excellent job of information gathering and assessing the heart of the matter.

Upon learning of Branden's situation, I contacted him and we discussed things that would get him back on track.

Branden never once came whining about anything. No finger pointing, no assesment of blame. He simply posted his situation and the vast majority of people jumped straight in with encouragement and offers to assist. It doesn't get any better than that :)

I speak to people from all over the country every day of the week. They are always pleasant and interesting to talk to. Some are just young guys, some are older like me. Sometimes they just want someone to talk to about what they're doing with their bikes.

None of them, to my knowledge has deep pockets. Working people with a common passion, Classic Kawasakis. I do what I can to help them.

There are times when the best laid plans result in disapointment. It's part of the game and it always will be that way. When those situations arise, there's a right way and a wrong way to go about solving a problem.

Branden, at his young age, shows every indication of being a full blown adult with the right attitude. Not only had he learned a lot about engine building, he's shown remarkable patience when things have not gone right for him. It appears to me that others saw that too and quickly jumped in with encouragement. ;)

There's generally more to any given story than what can be derrived from a simple post on in an Internet forum. Things can get taken entirely in the wrong direction.

I'm not here to be anybody's hero nor to become anyone's enemy. I give stuff away all the time. On the rare occasion where someone has a problem. There are all kinds of ways to communicate.

This thread could have gone into a total finger pointing battle but it didn't. It didn't because the vast majority of members who posted are above that level.

Things happen. When they do, apply knowledge, yield some understanding, sort out an approach that actually resolves a problem instead of trying to create new ones and 99 times out of 100, things turn out just fine and everyone remains friends.

Branden will overcome this obstacle and he'll do it "because of" the encouragement and help he gets from people on this board. And they do it "in spite of" any other attempts to derail that good attitude.

Branden,

Your bike may have bit you in the ass more times than you care to think about. The good news is, you've discovered there are people out there that will help you even though they don't know you from Adam. That in itself, is a pretty good thing to wake up to on any given day of the week :)

So, with the air completely cleared [as far as I'm concerned anyway] what did you find out so we can get you moving forward again?

Larry C
Last edit: 07 Sep 2009 10:27 by larrycavan.

• kzz1p
  • User
More
07 Sep 2009 19:13 #319761 by kzz1p
One word comes to mind "Integrity" Both of you are proving yourselves, to be men of integrity. One is the kind of guy, I will do business with, and the other, could be a friend of mine, any day of the week. Glad to see both of you, can talk too each other.

Branden - Most people here, are men of integrity! When we say that, we will support you, take It too the Bank.......................John

More
08 Sep 2009 14:24 - 08 Sep 2009 14:25 #319933 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
Hey, all! Thanks to everyone who has written kind and encouraging words. I'm glad to be a part of this forum and all it has to offer. I came here with little knowledge of anything motor related and have learned so much... with so much left to learn, of course...
I just returned from a weekend in Sonoma, California... a little r&r... such a shame, because those roads are made for a bike... I turned green everytime I saw a bike roll by. Most of them were Harley's though (boo hiss!) hahaha...just joking
Anyway, I haven't had a chance to break into her yet. I still need to deep clean the room I intend to turn into my "engine room". If what happened could have been caused by a tiny speck of dirt, then I'm taking no chances...
I'm still hesitant to break her down all the way... I plan on pulling the top end, pulling the oil pan and flushing everything out... is this just asking for trouble again? Larry said to flush the crank with kerosene and then drop the pan and spray it all out with brake cleaner.... anybody else have any suggestions??

and not to mince words, but the name is BRENDAN... hahaha

1978 KZ1000 police
Last edit: 08 Sep 2009 14:25 by Bicycle Lee.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
08 Sep 2009 14:59 #319937 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
Hey yo, I'll give ya $50 bucks for that not running old KZ... :laugh: :P

;) Just kiddin' bud. I've had my bike off the road an entire summer just getting and fixing parts and problems. No matter how desperate or frustrated I get, she reminds me every time I finally get to twist the throtle.

It's worth it, if its done right.

Cheers, n' good luck!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
08 Sep 2009 15:23 #319946 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
Make sure you pull all the engine covers, the oil sending unit and the oil galley plug on the right side above the ignition housing. Blow all those passages out with brake clean and compressed air.

You can pull the screen out of the oil pump, spray it out from the inside and clean out the pump too. IT's right there when you pull the pan. 3 bolts and it's in your hands..

Also, spray off the alternator magnets and blow them off as well.

On two occasions over the years, I've seen guys install the cam chain tensioner roller assembly backwards. The cam chain sawed the roller bracket completely in half.

Following the procedure I laid out for you, they had no further issues with metal.

More
08 Sep 2009 15:53 #319955 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
larrycavan wrote:

Brendan,

If you pay attention to what I'm telling you, you won't have more than $100 tied up in it. There's a catch though ;)

You have to go out and do something good for someone too. Don't care what it is, who it is, how you do it....Pay it Forward! www.payitforwardfoundation.org/get_involved.html

i just want to say i have been following this thread and i am a little dissapointed by some of the responces.

larry made a very good point ( which i have quoted )
i have helped a couple members here out and many more have helped me. do we do it for glory?
no. we do it to help a stranger out.
we don't want anything in return but PAY IT FORWARD

with either knowalge or parts.
there are over 14'000 members here and 99% are stand up guys.
there is always a fly in the ointment.
but there is always a member close to you to help you, offer you parts or just have a pop with you while sharing your sorrow.
i have personally met a few members here i would have never met and spent countless hours on the phone with many more while they told me to just finish the f@cking thing all ready.
( you know who you are. )
i even had a member send me a part that is not made anymore and all he wanted was a z1 tee shirt.
( which reminds me, i still owe him bigtime and he is getting a few more and a nice christmas card )

sorry for the long rant. it just gets under my skin when someone berates a longtime member who always takes the time to address questions and offer help.

this is not what the oe members had in mind for this sight.
they thought of a sight where all kz/z1 members could share info and help each other, not get into petty pissing contests over stupid shit.

guess i'll get off my soapbox now.

but i am intrested to see who agree's with me

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
08 Sep 2009 15:53 #319956 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
If you do pull and clean the pump which would be good make sure to prime the pump when you re-install. Plus make sure you have the big O-ring on the top of the pan when installing. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• kzz1p
  • User
More
08 Sep 2009 17:56 - 08 Sep 2009 18:01 #320000 by kzz1p
Bicycle Lee wrote:

Hey, all! Thanks to everyone who has written kind and encouraging words. I'm glad to be a part of this forum and all it has to offer. I came here with little knowledge of anything motor related and have learned so much... with so much left to learn, of course...
I just returned from a weekend in Sonoma, California... a little r&r... such a shame, because those roads are made for a bike... I turned green everytime I saw a bike roll by. Most of them were Harley's though (boo hiss!) hahaha...just joking
Anyway, I haven't had a chance to break into her yet. I still need to deep clean the room I intend to turn into my "engine room". If what happened could have been caused by a tiny speck of dirt, then I'm taking no chances...
I'm still hesitant to break her down all the way... I plan on pulling the top end, pulling the oil pan and flushing everything out... is this just asking for trouble again? Larry said to flush the crank with kerosene and then drop the pan and spray it all out with brake cleaner.... anybody else have any suggestions??

and not to mince words, but the name is BRENDAN... hahaha

"An engine room" My kind of guy!
Last edit: 08 Sep 2009 18:01 by kzz1p.