So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...

More
02 Sep 2009 23:51 #318790 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
larrycavan wrote:

BSKZ650 wrote:

With certain cam profiles / lifts, the lobe can rock the shim. The leading edge will drop into that oil groove. Once that happens....bye bye shim...

That was referred to as tiddlewinking the shim

Years ago we used to silver solder that groove up, and re-machine the shim area to prevent this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2009 01:20 #318792 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
nads.com wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

"This machine will NEVER run flawlessly."...

Look, we all feel your pain and is one way or another understand what you're going through... mentally but that statement is bull shit...

Here's why I say that... Sure, we've all had OH SHIT FACTORS and butt puckers but we didn't quit, we put on our big girl princess panties and dealt with it...

Once you get it all completed, you'll be surprised what that old KZ is truly about...

Hell, on our weekend ride this last weekend, a work bud on his Concourse Z14 had a double take in his rear view mirror for I was still right on his ass...

When we parked, he came over with a big old grin on his face and said this..."WTF, I couldn't believe you where still there, had to double take... I hit the throttle, looked in the mirror and you where still there again" then he laughed his ass off... Then asked ok, what did you do to that old KZ900 again?

See, this is when it's ALL WORTH IT! ;)

Take your time, triple check everything, as Plummen and Larry C laugh at me, I rotated that engine manually and broke her in before I even started it.... :laugh:

When you get that old girl dialed in, you'll be quite surprised how flawlessly she'll run... Hell, the trannies are indestructible for the most part... I mean, you really, really have to screw up to destroy that old beast...

Larry actually yelled at me " Oh for Christ sakes already, start that damn thing up and go ride her will ya"... :laugh: :laugh:

In a couple of days when things/mental calms down, make your decision but you can do this... ;)

OMR

Way to go OMR! I lived that same experience! :silly: Never quit! My old man told us never to quit. Guess we can do that when were dead.

Yeap, do not give up on her!!!

My Amok´s run happened started in spring 2005. I made a complete top end repair with GPz1100 block, little porting, new valves, guides etc. Cost a fortune but I wanted it done. But engine leaked oil like crazy. So I thought since It was my first engine repair I just f"cked up with qaskets. Well, have to do it again next winter I thought....

In winter 2006 I tore head and cyl.block off again, changed qasket, put it back together. First test run and oil was just pouring out of exhaust and blue smoke was covering the road, WTF!!!

Checked everything including valve stem seals, everything OK. Went deeper and tore the top end off again and what do I find. A friggin faulty oil ring!!!!!! After fighting with Kawi importer they gave me new ring set and qaskets for free so I put it back together with original qaskets. Added just a little extre sealant on cam end plug. Everything as well as I could.

First ride over 100km and engine was covered with oil again :blink: :huh: :angry: WTF, this ain´t happenin!!!!

At the same time in eastern Finland a friend of mine had done the exact same operation exept the faulty oil ring and his ELR was still soking in oil.

Then we heard someone mention about hairline cracks in valve covers. And yeap, both our ELR´s had hairline crack in valve cover. So tiny that you couldn´t almost see them with bare eye but there they were.

So don´t give up!!!!! This is just the beginning of a great ride :P

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
03 Sep 2009 04:24 - 03 Sep 2009 04:37 #318801 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
hoghaterkaw wrote:

I'm not on this board to promote a business.

You're more in tune for stirring up trouble.

Here's some advice.

Like Jimmy Buffet said "Don't try to describe the ocean of you've never seen it"

Branden himself, has more personal experience inside a KZ engine than you have.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2009 04:37 by larrycavan.

More
03 Sep 2009 05:27 #318807 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
That's possible but not likely. If Branden has so much experience inside these motors then the finger points back at you Larry.

More
03 Sep 2009 10:19 #318868 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
whoa whoa whoa, guys...
no fingers point to Larry... I'm all but convinced now that my most recent bed-shitting fiasco is due to me being lazy about checking valve clearances, and possibly due to there being some unwanted dust, grit, grime inside the motor that worked its way under the cam lobe and ate away at it...that seems to be rather probable in my opinion...
Larry did a bang up job on my head. He's worked with a greenhorn like me and been patient and understanding. I don't know, and personally don't care, about your experience with him.
And my experience inside my KZ engine is only by accident hahaha, but it sure as hell has been an adventure nonetheless. I have a much more intimate understanding of an internal combustion engine than I ever thought I'd have... and I might, just might, be able to diagnose and fix a problem on my own next time around.

1978 KZ1000 police

More
03 Sep 2009 10:32 #318870 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
you motor problems may seem huge to you now but believe me in 5 years when your ripping around on that cool old bike you'll hardly remember any of this so relax don't give up on it yet things will work out great my own street ride has been thru 3 speedo's so i'm not sure how much time is even on the motor i have been down to sturgis numerous times been to texas ridden all over western canada and i haven't had to do a thing to it besides change chains and tires i built this current bike 12 years ago so it doesnt owe me a thing .the point to all this is i have a lot of great memories on this bike and they may not of happened if i hadn't built it if you have to go awhile before it is back together it isn't the end of the world have patience and take your rome wasn't built in a day when you have done every thing as good as you can you will be so proud of yourself and deservedly so. good luck and keep the faith we are here for you brother.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
03 Sep 2009 14:42 - 03 Sep 2009 16:13 #318915 by larrycavan
hoghaterkaw wrote:

That's possible but not likely. If Branden has so much experience inside these motors then the finger points back at you Larry.

It's not just likely...it's fact. You have never even owned a KZ 900 or 1000. I'll lay dollars to doughnuts that if someone laid a set of drop in cams in your hand....you would have no clue what you were holding.

It's just that simple Walt. You're no KZ authority on any part of that engine. Not by any means, shape or form. All you do is stir up trouble for people.

If and it's a really big "IF", you had any real knowledge of these engines, you wouldn't be so quick to haul out your finger of bitterness and wave it around.

Things happen. If it makes you feel good to blame Brendan's situation on me...OK...Fine. BUT...you should be prepared to back up your big mouth with some real knowledge first. Now you get out there on Google and do some frantic searching for some quick knowledge. Then get back here and attack...

Point it where ever you like Walt :laugh:

Have a nice day :P
Last edit: 03 Sep 2009 16:13 by larrycavan.

More
03 Sep 2009 19:32 - 03 Sep 2009 19:57 #318965 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
I don't need Google. You do. The best you do is pass gas.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2009 19:57 by hoghaterkaw.

More
04 Sep 2009 01:09 #319019 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
hoghaterkaw wrote:

Shut the F"ck up, HogHater. You´re way out of line with you BS here so leave it.

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
04 Sep 2009 04:48 #319021 by Buda
hoghaterkaw wrote:

Why would you want to run Larry off? I don't know Larry but he's on here answering questions and helping people out without any better than you attitude. Whats wrong with that?
Tom

1982 KZ 1170 LTD
10.25 to 1 comp
K&N pods
GPZ cams
Vance&Hines pipe with comp baffle
dyna coils and wires
97 Valkyrie Standard

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
04 Sep 2009 08:03 #319054 by larrycavan
hoghaterkaw wrote:

:laugh: Passing more gas is what I do. Difference between you and I though is mine is logically thought out, formulated into engine performance enhancine techniques and generally puts a smile on people's faces as the end result.

You, on the other hand are just a bitter person who thrives on attacking people's work and efforts. Now if you had some knowledge....just a shred of usefull information to bring to a discussion.....that would be a welcome change.

Your posts on every forum I've seen you on are pretty much of the same nature. Either idle stupidity or bitter attacks. Not much of anything in between.

Never a good word. Never encouragement for anyone who's doing a project. Only nasty, underhanded comments instead.

You used to come on here and attach a certain carburetor guy all the time. Well, I'll bet you even money that YOU, yourself, couldn't do half the job he did for people.

Now you're attacking me, without provocation, without cause, with nothing but your bitterness to substantiate your immature rants.

Look at your screen name even "HOGHATERKAW"....Now is that really appropriate for someone who claims to be a motorcycle enthusiast?

Not everyone appreciates everything I have to say. Not everyone agrees with my point of view. That's fine. It's normal for creative people to have different concepts.

The difference between those people and guys like you are quite clear. They posess knowledge, insight and a deep appreciation for conversation where you clearly lack the ability to participate in such a forum.

If you have no real skills, if you have nothing of significant importance to state or to ask then the best I can offer you is this tid bit of wisdom.

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubts?

Now, I've wasted enough of my time on your foolishness. I have phone calls to make and work to do. So either put up something of logic and significance or take the advice of the previous posters....

Have a nice day :P

More
04 Sep 2009 09:30 #319065 by Tony
To try and keep this thread on topic I will delete anything from this point on that does not contribute to the thread.