So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...

More
30 Aug 2009 15:34 #317650 by chance
Replied by chance on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
Intake side huh.Timing chain area? Sorry to here about your bike I know it hurts but you WILL find out when you pull that cover no need to speculate...:woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2009 15:46 #317656 by Bicycle Lee
Replied by Bicycle Lee on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
larrycavan wrote:

Bicycle Lee wrote:

could a shim REALLY do that much damage? I'm serious... a golf ball sized hole in my valve cover... maybe I'm just crazy, but one of those little shims doesn't seem like it could have done that. If so, do you think it would be fine to replace the shim and valve cover?

Yes, definitely a shim can spit out and take a chunk of head or valve cover with it. Those cams shouldn't spit shims though.

Those are Andrews drop in cams. They do not require shim on bottom. They're only .340" lift. It's the early version of their 2X that was later called the 1X when they increased lift to .365" lift. It's a very mild cam.

The only Shim On Top setup I've ever seen spit a shim is the Andrews 3X cams would on occasion [not always] spit a shim.

Never, ever, saw that happen with a any other drop in cam. Pull you valve cover and see what it looks like.

You've had that head back since way back in late spring, early summer and all of a sudden it spits a shim with mild cams......hmmmmmmm. Yank the valve cover and let's see what's going on. Call me when you get it off.

Walter - you should stay out of things you know nothing about. Next time you need a free alternator rotor, call somebody else or cough up the $600 that Kawasaki wanted for one.

Hey, Larry... I got the head from you that long ago, but I have only had it on the bike for a couple weeks. Maybe put 20 miles on it?? I ran it on the engine stand but never under heavy load like that. Like I said in an earlier post, I trust you and I don't think this has anything to do with the work you did. Just to clarify ;)
Realistically, what do you think it could be? I'll pull the valve cover and give it a closer look, but just your opinion??

1978 KZ1000 police

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2009 16:00 - 30 Aug 2009 16:01 #317659 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
Bicycle Lee wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

Bicycle Lee wrote:

could a shim REALLY do that much damage? I'm serious... a golf ball sized hole in my valve cover... maybe I'm just crazy, but one of those little shims doesn't seem like it could have done that. If so, do you think it would be fine to replace the shim and valve cover?

Yes, definitely a shim can spit out and take a chunk of head or valve cover with it. Those cams shouldn't spit shims though.

Those are Andrews drop in cams. They do not require shim on bottom. They're only .340" lift. It's the early version of their 2X that was later called the 1X when they increased lift to .365" lift. It's a very mild cam.

The only Shim On Top setup I've ever seen spit a shim is the Andrews 3X cams would on occasion [not always] spit a shim.

Never, ever, saw that happen with a any other drop in cam. Pull you valve cover and see what it looks like.

You've had that head back since way back in late spring, early summer and all of a sudden it spits a shim with mild cams......hmmmmmmm. Yank the valve cover and let's see what's going on. Call me when you get it off.

Walter - you should stay out of things you know nothing about. Next time you need a free alternator rotor, call somebody else or cough up the $600 that Kawasaki wanted for one.

Hey, Larry... I got the head from you that long ago, but I have only had it on the bike for a couple weeks. Maybe put 20 miles on it?? I ran it on the engine stand but never under heavy load like that. Like I said in an earlier post, I trust you and I don't think this has anything to do with the work you did. Just to clarify ;)
Realistically, what do you think it could be? I'll pull the valve cover and give it a closer look, but just your opinion??

I can't say for sure Brendan. When I saw the engine run in the video you sent me in March, it ran fine.

Like I said, there's no reason those mild cams would spit a shim. They came staight out of a running KZ that was being upgraded. Cams were in very good condition.

I could speculate all afternoon and it won't do anyone any good. Get the valve cover off and see what's up. Then call me. You have my number.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2009 16:01 by larrycavan.

More
30 Aug 2009 16:10 #317663 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
I agree. Our 410s run with shim on top. 340 360s etc should be no problem.

Jay

More
30 Aug 2009 16:15 #317665 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
i had two cam sprocket bolts come loose and one of them went between the cam lobe and the bucket it spit the shim and bolt thru the valve cover and the front of the head. the head was one i had just ported had about 30 hours into it was completly my fault as i hadn't loctited the cam sprocket bolts in place after i had degreeed the cam's also one other thing has happened before with shim over motor's if the shim isn't in place properly in the bucket it will spit out as well. that is one of the reasons i always rotate the motor thru and double check the clearances just to make sure all the shim's are seated properly.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
30 Aug 2009 16:18 #317666 by Bicycle Lee
shit.... I'd almost rather it just be a shim. I guess I'll try and figure it out when I get the head off.
I just think it's peculiar that it still ran after that... it even stalled and I started it right back up no problem. That tells me that it wasn't anything TOO serious. I mean, if I threw a rod or something like that the engine wouldn't have ran, right?? Is that a safe assumption or am I being dumb?
haha

1978 KZ1000 police

More
30 Aug 2009 16:21 #317670 by Bicycle Lee
chance wrote:

Intake side huh.Timing chain area? Sorry to here about your bike I know it hurts but you WILL find out when you pull that cover no need to speculate...:woohoo:

yes, intake side... right above the #3 cylinder.

1978 KZ1000 police

More
30 Aug 2009 16:29 #317673 by chance
You said the motor got loud as in internal engine noise ? When it was still running after the break how did the engine sound? Chain slap ?

More
30 Aug 2009 16:32 #317674 by Bicycle Lee
To be honest I think the motor got louder after the break because the internal parts were exposed haha.

1978 KZ1000 police

More
30 Aug 2009 16:35 #317675 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic So.... I BLEW up my motor.... literally...
did you notice any abnormal ticking or noises before it came apart.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
30 Aug 2009 16:39 #317677 by chance
Digg... Well You will know soon Bro.

More
30 Aug 2009 16:44 #317678 by Bicycle Lee
timebomb33 wrote:

did you notice any abnormal ticking or noises before it came apart.

not really... nothing too crazy... I have had that exhaust leak that is a kind of clicking, slapping sound, but it has run fine... I cannot see how that would damage the intake side of the head...
EH?

1978 KZ1000 police