ANY IDEAS WHY?

More
06 Apr 2009 22:45 #279100 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
Tuned up my 900 one day and showed my brother. He said sounds like its gonna blow up. It was klakity and it wouldnt idle very well. Turned out it was the inner two pistons had broken rings. Any time a cylinder does not have enough gas or too much on these bikes the engine will sound clacky at idle. My bike doesnt have a primary chain. Something is wrong and it wont get better by driving it I never read the beginning of the post toastie so bear with me. Have you checked the compression? My guess (always good ones) is if tis not compression tis carbs/vacuum. These are the things that cause the noise your hearing. The fact that it didnt misfire while driving tells something here. check the plugs colors and that should nail it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2009 23:05 #279104 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
I just read the rest of your post. Sounds like the timing is way too advanced. If you have it set to fire at the fire mark it is way too advanced. That's why you have to use 93 or whatever. With the piston kit it now has faster flame front and the timing needs to be backed down to increase power and stop the pinging and that god awful vibration through the handle bars. Mark the timing where its at and loosen the screws and turn the plate clockwise one eight of an inch and fire it up. shoud be a world of diff. If its too advanced like I think it is, it should be kicking back on u when u start it. Its running rough simply because it isnt getting enough fuel at idle. That's also the reason it hangs up before it idle back down again. You do not have a vac leak been tested for that. Might have to look into the carbs and double check the idle circuit, pilot jets and needle heights in that order. If it was me i'd check compression before u even go there. Seems odd that it's not popping at all, so this would be the time to tell the truth about that.:lol:

More
07 Apr 2009 14:17 #279233 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
nads.com wrote:

I just read the rest of your post. Sounds like the timing is way too advanced. If you have it set to fire at the fire mark it is way too advanced. That's why you have to use 93 or whatever. With the piston kit it now has faster flame front and the timing needs to be backed down to increase power and stop the pinging and that god awful vibration through the handle bars. Mark the timing where its at and loosen the screws and turn the plate clockwise one eight of an inch and fire it up. shoud be a world of diff. If its too advanced like I think it is, it should be kicking back on u when u start it. Its running rough simply because it isnt getting enough fuel at idle. That's also the reason it hangs up before it idle back down again. You do not have a vac leak been tested for that. Might have to look into the carbs and double check the idle circuit, pilot jets and needle heights in that order. If it was me i'd check compression before u even go there. Seems odd that it's not popping at all, so this would be the time to tell the truth about that.:lol:

thanks.....i m going to recheck timing one of these nites.......and no, she aint a poppin....

More
07 Apr 2009 15:36 #279243 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
If not already done, would double-check valve clearances.

Cold compression figures may be good, but marginally too tight valve clearances may cause loss of compression at normal operating temp.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
08 Apr 2009 20:07 #279745 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
I had this exact same problem. It eluded me for days... then I got it.

It was the bolts that hold the starter clutch assembly to the stator magnet.

The bolts loosened themselves off so far that they were causing the bike to make a klanketing random sound anywhere below 1800rpm, and closer to idle, it would just stall out.

Got some new bolts and lock washers. Proper torque, and problem solved.

Goodluck my friend!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)