ANY IDEAS WHY?

More
03 Apr 2009 14:21 #278116 by keith1
ANY IDEAS WHY? was created by keith1
got my carbs back from george and put them on after work....bike fired right up and everything sounds good except i have the damn idle problem again.....motor sounds good, pipes look good, no smoke, but it wont idle below like 1900....revs up good but it seems to hang up a little....i already lubed ignition advancer and i can move the cables
under the tank, so they arent kinked....as soon as i
try to adj idle below 1900 it falls to 1500 then drops like a rock.......i put on reg/rec combo and its putting out like 14.7 at 2k....a little high, but its charging.....how do you test voltage at coils again? i have new accel coils and wires...i was real carefull with cam timing and i would think it would fart and pop if it was off....
like i said everything is sweet except for idle...i dont get.....does anyone else?.....thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2009 14:22 #278118 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
did you check for vacuam leaks around carb boots?;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
03 Apr 2009 14:27 #278120 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
i was just gonna add that the boots were new last summer and i put nos cables on it cause the others didnt fit right.....what should i spray them with to check? carb clean?

More
03 Apr 2009 14:29 #278121 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
My guess is an air leak too. Spray some WD around the carbs see if it revs up.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
03 Apr 2009 14:32 #278122 by Locozuna
Not so much the boots to the airbox but also the engine to carb connectors. Carb clean will work too but is more flamable. I use WD40 mostly.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
03 Apr 2009 14:42 #278128 by keith1
Locozuna wrote:

Not so much the boots to the airbox but also the engine to carb connectors. Carb clean will work too but is more flamable. I use WD40 mostly.

thinking about it more and i tend to lean to air leak also.....i have pods with light k and n oil on them...the carb to engine boots are the ones i got last summer....on beer break now with thinking cap on...:laugh:

More
03 Apr 2009 14:57 #278133 by keith1
let it idle at 2k and sprayed boots and plugs with wd....no effect whatsoever....hope garage airs out b4 the wife gets home....she LOVES that smell...

More
03 Apr 2009 15:17 #278139 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
Vacuum petcock or not? If vacuum is it feeding at idle right? High idle can be from lean condition. Carbs coming from WG I wouldn't expect that the pilot jets are the wrong size. So, if the petcock isn't flowing right, maybe from the vacuum not activating until you hit some rpms, might not be getting enough fuel, thus lean.

I've got my beer hat on too, so my theorizing may be way off base. Just trying to think of anything that might be snagging you up...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
03 Apr 2009 15:20 #278141 by keith1
anarki650 wrote:

Vacuum petcock or not? If vacuum is it feeding at idle right? High idle can be from lean condition. Carbs coming from WG I wouldn't expect that the pilot jets are the wrong size. So, if the petcock isn't flowing right, maybe from the vacuum not activating until you hit some rpms, might not be getting enough fuel, thus lean.

I've got my beer hat on too, so my theorizing may be way off base. Just trying to think of anything that might be snagging you up...

no vac petcock....double outlet pingel vm26carbs with dual fuel inlets...same setup with old top end....she s gettin fuel....thanks.....

More
03 Apr 2009 15:24 #278143 by Locozuna
I'm guessing WG knew your set up. I'd take off the pods and see how she runs. See if she answers right then.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

More
03 Apr 2009 15:43 #278151 by keith1
Locozuna wrote:

I'm guessing WG knew your set up. I'd take off the pods and see how she runs. See if she answers right then.

yes..i filled out a sheet with set up and mods....i dont have stock box.....i just went out and fired it up...fired right up and idled a little lower...
i think at this point, i m gonna take it for a blast this weekend for a shakedown run...top end only has about 30 mins of idle time in garage....
the good thing is i have no leaks and it sounds good....i m 99.9% there....i m sure this is something stupid...just a matter of time.......

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
03 Apr 2009 16:31 #278164 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic ANY IDEAS WHY?
I know this will sound dumb, but try starting the bike, let it warm up then shut it off. Disconnect the throttle cable from the hand-grip then restart the bike. This will eliminate the short cable issue that I had... This drove me crazy for a long time. I had put on a new motionpro cable. It was the one called out for my bike, but was just a hair short, just short enough to not allow the carbs to completely close, thus a high idle.
Sounds too simplistic, but you can eliminate it as a possible cause.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P